Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4th Fill Coming & FRUSTRATED!!

Hello everyone! I’ve been reading for a while and now I have a question. I’ve had 3 fills and am about to have my 4th. After my 3rd, I think I felt some restriction – I felt a sharp pain at the top of my stomach area. This pain was a lot more uncomfortable than anything. Kind of like a brain freeze that doesn’t go away. I realized that it was from not chewing enough. After about 5 to 10 minutes, the pain would go away and I’d slowly feel what was stuck, move it’s way down. Then I’d proceed eating, but much slower and things would be all right. If that uncomfortable feeling is the “sweet spot”, I don’t think I like that!

With that said, hear are some concerns:

1.) When I get hungry, the “growls” come from my lower stomach area. Even after eating something, the growling doesn’t go away…very quickly – Is this normal?

2.) I’ve found that if I eat slowly enough, I can eat just as much as I used to eat. This doesn’t seem right nor is it what I want to do!

3.) At what point are the nerves in the banded area supposed to kick in and tell you that you’re full?

Also, only after my last fill did I find that in the mornings I could barely get warm coffee down. But by late afternoon into early evening, the floodgates are open and there’s very little restriction. My fill Doc said that my esophagus could be causing this – you know, needs time first thing in the morning to get warmed up?

I just know that it’s been weeks since I’ve lost any weight and I’m really getting frustrated! I lost a lot initially – and quickly, but not anything for a long while! HELP!!:help:

Hello everyone! I’ve been reading for a while and now I have a question. I’ve had 3 fills and am about to have my 4th. After my 3rd, I think I felt some restriction – I felt a sharp pain at the top of my stomach area. This pain was a lot more uncomfortable than anything. Kind of like a brain freeze that doesn’t go away. I realized that it was from not chewing enough. After about 5 to 10 minutes, the pain would go away and I’d slowly feel what was stuck, move it’s way down. Then I’d proceed eating, but much slower and things would be all right. If that uncomfortable feeling is the “sweet spot”, I don’t think I like that!

*Your sweet spot is when you can eat a little food, not feel much hunger and lose consistently.

With that said, hear are some concerns:

1.) When I get hungry, the “growls” come from my lower stomach area. Even after eating something, the growling doesn’t go away…very quickly – Is this normal?

*Make sure you are eating enough solid Protein. I don't have a growling stomach so I can't answer beyond that.

2.) I’ve found that if I eat slowly enough, I can eat just as much as I used to eat. This doesn’t seem right nor is it what I want to do!

*You probably need a fill. You really shouldn't be able to consume more than 2-3 oz at a time.

3.) At what point are the nerves in the banded area supposed to kick in and tell you that you’re full?

*The tighter you are the quicker the sensors kick in to tell you that you are full.

Also, only after my last fill did I find that in the mornings I could barely get warm coffee down. But by late afternoon into early evening, the floodgates are open and there’s very little restriction. My fill Doc said that my esophagus could be causing this – you know, needs time first thing in the morning to get warmed up?

*I sip on hot coffee in the a.m. and I'm ready for a Protein shake around 10am or so.

I just know that it’s been weeks since I’ve lost any weight and I’m really getting frustrated! I lost a lot initially – and quickly, but not anything for a long while! HELP!!:help:

*If you aren't losing weight you need another fill. You should be losing 1-2 lbs a week. Good luck!:clap2:

Julie,

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that the fill that I have coming up on Wednesday will come with the "sensors" that I'm looking for. I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums and am sure that another fill will get me one step closer.

Happy Easter!

Kevin

You sound exacly like me. I was banded Jan 18, and had my 3rd fill late March, I thought for sure that this was it, my band can hold 9cc's and I'm at 8.5, I thought for sure on my last fill that I was too tight, but by the 3rd day, I felt restriction, but am back eating, definately less, but still not losing anything... arghgh this is indeed frustruating!

Blownaway36,

Do you get the "hunger" or "growling" feeling low in your stomach? What about being more restricted in the morning vs. the night?

Before my surgery I used to drink quite a bit of Water. Now, I barely drink any at all. Should we still try and drink lots of Water? Maybe this will help with making me feel more full in between meals. It's crazy how all of our bodies react so differently to this procedure!

Thanks for the support!:clap2:

Kevin

Hey there girlies...I know the growling feeling you are talking about...oddly enough...I personally use that feeling as reward....its like..ahh I have not eaten too much! Weird I know but its what I do. I used to say...oh my tummy is growling...i must need something to eat! Now its like....cool...not too much in the tummy....just my 2 cents! Good Luck POPT

You are soooo right! Same here! I'll see a pound or two come off and will be like yeah! Then, while making the same correct food choices, that pound or two comes back! So then the "ah screw it" side of me comes out! After my last couple of fills, my fill Doc has said, "now remember, you're pouch is only the size of an egg". And I'm thinking, yeah, a dozen eggs right?:frusty:

With regard to what Tracew said above - Thank you for your 2 cents! - if I've eaten something and am still getting the growling, my mind is telling me I'm not done eating yet!:hungry: I'd love to get to that point! Who knows, maybe a new story after Wednesday comes!

Hi Kevin

Yes I DO get the growling sound at the bottom of my stomach, I and yes I do find that I am much more restricted in the morning vs night.

I've heard people talk about having a warm liquid as you say coffee in the morning.

I also find that in the evening the 'floodgates' open as well.

The last fill I had was March 26, and I swear before I left the office I was worried I was too full, I felt exactly how you described when you didn't chew enough,

I called about getting a de fill, because I was worried, however, after about 3 days, I am back where I started, and have I lost an oz.? NO!

I completely agree with you when you mention that as long as you chew you can eat the same amount of food.< /span>

I am completely discouraged as well.

I had my surgery Jan 18, and yes lost 15lbs on the pre op, since then I've lost in total 3lbs.

I find it's much easier from a mental state to choose wisely when I'm losing, and not so easy when it doesn't show, I get the 'What the heck' mentality, I'm not losing anyway, just eat the cake I know it will fit in...

As far as the Water goes, I find that is much harder to get a lot down during the day, that is my goal everyday, but, I know we have to stay hydrated.

I also find the the roof of my mouth at the back is often dry, and I need to drink the water.

I can't wait to get to that 'sweet spot' where I/we can only get 2-3 oz down and not another thing can enter.

I'm going to call for another fill today.

Let me know how you get along with you fill.

Donna.

I'm so excited for you for this Wednesday, I can live vicariously through you for a while! I hope you get to where you should be!!

It's so weird that you have written exactly my issue for the past couple of months!!

Just talking about it is encouraging, I know they say the loss is over 1-2 years, but 1-2 lb's a week would really help too.

Knowing that I'm not the only one in this boat is helpful, and as you say everyone is different.

I'm sticking to my convictions that it's just be a matter of adjustment, and I'm just not there yet.

Much luck to you!

~D

I was banded January 26th and have had 2 fills - going for 3rd fill this Thursday. I have little to no restriction. I have lost almost 30 lbs. I think alot has to do with food choices and making sure you drink lots of Water and exercise. I walk at least a mile every evening and drink lots of Water during the day and that seems to keep me full where I don't eat as much. I am hoping this next fill will give me some restriction so that I can drop more Lbs before summer! Good luck everyone - it wont be easy but we can all achieve our goals!

Kim

Dr. Spivak

Banded 1/26/07

236/208/165

First Fill 3/1 - 1.5cc

Second Fill 3/22 - .5cc (total of 2cc in 4cc band)

Third Fill scheduled 4/12

.png

Yes to all of the above. I finally feel restriction after the 4th fill but more importantly all the band rules have come into affect for me. I must take small bites, I must chew throughly, I must not drink before or after and I must make good food choices. I am now finally losing 2 lbs a week.

Great Job Kim & Steph!:)

After each post, I feel more and more confident that what I need is another fill! I appreciate all the support and comments!

Before I posted my question, I thought I needed to be some sort of medical expert to reply to anyone elses questions! What's great is that most experts can't tell me how I feel! But you, my fellow "Bandster's" out there know exactly what I'm feeling! It only takes one of you out there who's been going through the exact things that I'm going through to help me feel at ease! This forum ROCKS!:whoo:

My "flood gates" are also very much open in the evening after I work out. I have 4.2 cc's in a 4.0 cc capacity band! What the heck? Don't let me scare you! Hopefully this won't happen to you.

Brandy,

What The.....????:faint: Is that normal to have more cc's in your band? Do you find that your "flood gates" are more open after exercise? That puts a new spin on feeling restricted! Does exercise encourage or discourage restriction? Well congrats to you on what you have lost!

Just curious, with you being at 4.2cc in a 4.0cc band, will your doctor give you any more fills?

Thanks for the info!

Brandy,

What The.....????:faint: Is that normal to have more cc's in your band? Do you find that your "flood gates" are more open after exercise? That puts a new spin on feeling restricted! Does exercise encourage or discourage restriction? Well congrats to you on what you have lost!

Just curious, with you being at 4.2cc in a 4.0cc band, will your doctor give you any more fills?

Thanks for the info!

I have always heard that exercise would make you feel tighter. It isn't doing that to me! My doctor says that the 4.0 cc band will hold close to 5.0 cc's. He had me up to 4.4 cc's at my last fill, but the flouro showed that the Fluid wasn't going down so he took me down to 4.2 cc's. It's really weird. I always show good restriction during the flouro, but by the time I get back to solid foods a few days later I am not as tight. I am just thankful that I only weight 137 and I am trying to get to 130. It's not the end of the world that I am having some difficulties. I just don't want my band to slip! I am so terrified of that. I want to keep the band for as long as possible! I was told that it stays in for life, but I keep reading more and more posts fom people saying that a doctor told them that the bands only last 10-15 years. If I can keep the band until I am 48, then I don't think I am going to be nearly as worried then if I had to have it removed than if I had to have it removed now. Sorry to ramble!