Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Additional pregnancies easier after the sleeve?

Hi All,

I had my son when I was 25 and weighing around 260s (i am 5'9). I was young and lots more energy and weighed less then. I have been putting off other kids for numerous reasons but the major one is how physically drained I feel. I also have Hoshimoto's and PCOS. I am weighing around 285 now and just turned 30 in Feb. I have been reluctant to get pregnant again because I just can't imagine having the extra weight, the discomfort, the complications, etc. Not too include the extra weight and trying to manage two kids, house, family and career. I mean it just does not sound doable. I am supposed to be sleeved this summer. I can't help but think pregnancy and kid rearing after you lose 100lbs+ has to be easier....at least as far as energy and just movement to get up and play, etc. I play now and we do lots of stuff but it takes a toll. I feel like I am running out of time. I would likely be hitting 31 or 32 by the time I could get preggers....making my son and potential other kid 7 years apart (not ideal). END RANT!

Thoughts? Was your second (third, fourth, etc) pregnancy and life easier after the sleeve and weight loss?

Third pregnancy has been way easier in some ways but there is the restriction issue... it is HARD to get the right calories. There are things that are harder like combating cravings because I can't just eat a bunch of chocolate... and I forget to eat and then nothing tastes good... but yeah I have a lot more energy and getting around has been easier. I have a scheduled c section in 5.5 weeks and will will be bringing my little man home in 6 weeks.

I'm almost 34 weeks. This pregnancy has been hard- but I know my problems have not been related to the sleeve. I had hyperemesis and lost 15ish pounds. I've struggled to gain back. I'm just now back to 1lb under pre-pregnancy weight. I threw up consistently (with meds) at least 8-10 times a day- spent 6 trips getting fluids. I've also had SPD and pre-term labor (both of which I had with my 2nd pregnancy). Only "problem" I can blame on the sleeve is my blood pressure is so great not pregnant that the medicine they put me on to stop contractions (which is an older BP med) has made my blood pressure ridiculously low, so I have to be very careful.

Thanks ladies for the replies!! I appreciate it.

Has anyone successfully gotten pregnant after having the gastric sleeve and a tubal reversal?

@@lovelylady530 I've been looking into getting a tubal reversal, if you don't mind where did you and can you lead me in the right path.

Yes

Yes I went to Encino, California to Dr.Eliran Mor.

Wow I'm in Nj I should have ask where you were from first:-) my insurance doesn't cover it so I would have to pay out of pocket. But I want to do it so bad.

I'm from NC. My insurance didn't cover it either. We paid out of pocket and the doctors closest to my home wouldn't touch me because I was overweight. Dr. Mor agreed to help me and hubby and I made plans to go.

I'm from NC. My insurance didn't cover it either. We paid out of pocket and the doctors closest to my home wouldn't touch me because I was overweight. Dr. Mor agreed to help me and hubby and I made plans to go.

How much did it cost you and how was the recovery.

We paid $5500. Recovery went well. I was very sore in the lower abdomen immediately after the surgery but it got better hours later. Later, it only hurt to cough/sneeze, go from laying down to the sitting position or from sitting to standing position. I was healed and ok in a little over a week. The incision is at the pubic bone. Pillows were needed between me and my seatbelt for the first few days to lessen the bumps when riding in a car.

I had Tylenol 3 and by the time they ran out, it was smooth sailing.

We paid $5500. Recovery went well. I was very sore in the lower abdomen immediately after the surgery but it got better hours later. Later, it only hurt to cough/sneeze, go from laying down to the sitting position or from sitting to standing position. I was healed and ok in a little over a week. The incision is at the pubic bone. Pillows were needed between me and my seatbelt for the first few days to lessen the bumps when riding in a car.

I had Tylenol 3 and by the time they ran out, it was smooth sailing.

Sounds like a plan. How long ago did you have it done.

Late 2012

Did you have any pregnancies yet