Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Keeps You Full/Satisfied?

I'm only a couple days away from surgery and I keep running this question over in my mind...

When I finally get my band tightened and I'm eating solids, what foods are Bandsters' "secret tricks?" Like... what keeps you satisfied, isn't too high in calories, and doesn't tend to get stuck in the band?

Thanks!

Dara

I am still on the so called mushie stage and this has been my menu so far:

Every docter is different, but I only had to have 48 hrs of clears, which was chicken broth. I had very watered (soyed down) cream Soup the night of my surgery. I used a spoon and ate it very slowy, about 1/2 cup.

I ate very slowly (I practiced before hand) Protein shakes (not slimfast) and watered cream Soup for the first few days. Remember-protein and Water as well as a Magic bullet are your friends.

I was allowed to go on a mushie diet about 7 days later. However, unlike some people, for me that does not mean putting a pizza in my bullet.

I have bought things like hummus and pate (only a little), but I have found it very filling. I also ate a scrambled egg which I topped with non fat sour cream to make it go down. I never thought one egg would satisfy me. I ended up not even drinking the nonfat milk before bed I had plan to drink.

I am still a newbie, but I think keeping your Protein up is very essential to keeping those hunger pangs away. I also think that this band is an awesome tool and many people seem to spend a lot of time trying to trick it. Of course talk to me a year from now and I might be the best trickster of all.

Remember-protein and Water.

THEN I was

I find drier foods keep me fuller for longer; crispbreads things like that. I'm also very strict with not drinking while I'm eating as that can speed up the passage of food through the stoma.

Hope all goes well with your surgery!

I want to know if you still have the sensation of being hungry (hunger pangs) after being banded. My problem has always been when I get hungry I forge for food.< /p>

When you start getting fills you will not be as hungry. There are sensors at the top of the stomach which indicate fullness. So when you are tightened and the food stays in the pouch longer you will feel full longer. Makes sense doesn't it! Julie

Once you have good restriction you will stop feeling hungry all the time. Many days I forget to eat till my DH comes home and asks what's for dinner! As for foods that fill you up and stick with you, the more solid the better but my fave is 2 tbls tuna mixed with mayo and a little ff italian dressing on two pieces of melba toast. It fills me up fast and stays with me for hours. If I do get hungry between meals I will eat a melba piece and be just fine.

I was banded 3/21/07 and feel hungry all the time. It doesn't matter if I eat protein....I won't have my first fill until early May, and I hope it is really tight. Finding soft foods to eat is a real pain so I'm now on 3 Atkins shakes a day only...the hunger I feel having only shakes is identical to what I felt eating food and the shakes are so much easier....From reading the posts I think the most we will strive for is not feeling ravenously hungry....my days of food making me satisfied, or full, is over. In the future when I eat it will be only to not feel the gnawing pain of hunger. This is the price I will pay to be slender. It stinks, but it is what it is.

I was banded 3/21/07 and feel hungry all the time. It doesn't matter if I eat Protein....I won't have my first fill until early May, and I hope it is really tight. Finding soft foods to eat is a real pain so I'm now on 3 Atkins shakes a day only...the hunger I feel having only shakes is identical to what I felt eating food and the shakes are so much easier....From reading the posts I think the most we will strive for is not feeling ravenously hungry....my days of food making me satisfied, or full, is over. In the future when I eat it will be only to not feel the gnawing pain of hunger. This is the price I will pay to be slender. It stinks, but it is what it is.

Atkins isn't great, honestly it isn't. If you look at the calories to Protein it's not good at all. You are wasting your calories.

What if you try a better quality Protein shake? You are not getting enough protein at this point and since you are clearly able to drink full liquids at this stage why not try a better quality (and MUCH cheaper) product? Matrix 5.0 has 22gm protein and 120 calories. You could do four of those to every three of your Atkins. Atkins here is about $2.00/can. Matrix is $0.50/serving. Right now you aren't even getting 50gms of protein daily, you should be getting between 60-70.

I used to say Matrix or Body Fortress but I have to admit an error. Body Fortress isn't great anymore. Matrix is better. Body Fortress tastes like chocolate flavored Water. Matrix tastes like chocolate milk.

I've found that carbs make me hungrier and that only meat keeps me totally satisfied for several hours. But eating meat only gets verrrrry boring.

My doc says a Protein shake an hour after a meal is a good way to stay full.

I've found that carbs make me hungrier and that only meat keeps me totally satisfied for several hours. But eating meat only gets verrrrry boring.

My doc says a Protein shake an hour after a meal is a good way to stay full.

Do you know why? It's because carbs turn into a sugar and sugar makes your pancreas kick in. When your pancreas kicks in it produces insulin to lower your blood sugar but sometimes it works a little too well and when your blood sugar is a little too low it sends out signals so your body will scream, 'FEED ME!'

When you eat a reasonable amount of Protein (such as meat, a Protein Shake, etc) it doesn't mess with your blood sugar and that is why you aren't hungry.

I have to question being hungry an hour after a meal. If one has appropriate restriction and follows bandster rules, there shouldn't be a need for a shake an hour after a meal. I'm not fully in favor of killing hunger before it comes naturally, but if you are hungry and it's been at least three hours since your last proper meal, I can see a low cal Protein Shake then or another low cal protein source.

Eating meat DOES get boring, but you can also find other sources of protein that will do the job. A teaspoon of peanutbutter, a piece of cheese, a dozen nuts, yogurt, something like that. Protein Snacks don't have to come from meat.

Man... I did Atkins for 2 years and I swore I'd never EVER go back to that kind of low-carbing. Hearing you guys talk low-carb is kinda depressing.

I'm not sure it is a matter of low carbs but more like normal carbs. But when talking about hunger issues carbs will make people hungry in the end. Protein won't and when a newbie is going through the liquid diet phase, low carbs are a life saver.

I want to know if you still have the sensation of being hungry (hunger pangs) after being banded. My problem has always been when I get hungry I forge for food.

you know ... i really dont get the "hunger pains" any more ... i do forget to eat a lot and then get a little light headed but that's about it.

good luck w/ your band.