Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes, I went to Mexico after needing the surgery and couldn't afford to have it done in the US.

Daniel Huacuz was recommended on other boards and they were very responsive to all my questions via email and phone. Others I'd leave messages for and it took several days to get a return... didn't like that a bit.

I flew to LA, drove to San Diego, Victor picked me up at the airport terminal... he's the shuttle driver for the clinic's van.

Arrived and I loved how efficient everything was!!! No waisting time for anything! Cardiologist, psych lady, etc all on staff.

The clinic has several patient rooms with tvs/ sofas, private bath, etc. My sister slept in the second bed in a double room, most were singles though.

Windows galore!!! Life did not escape me and I didn't feel like I was in an institution, as some hospitals seem.

The staff was attentive, cordial, and eagar to please. The place was clean, very clean. The janator was on staff every day.

It was only 7k for everything! If I ever need any surgery again, I surely would consider Dr. Huacuz if he does that procedure.

that is so great. im so glad you went to dr. huacuz. he is so great. i tell everyone. people have no idea till they go and see his place. isnt victor just the coolest guy. i totally love him. he makes me laugh and he speaks perfect english. plus he is cute and so easy to talk to. makes the ride go buy fast. i go to him for my fills and everything. youll be skinny like me in no time.

I went to DOCTOR HUACUZ too. everything i hear about him when im in mexico is all good. i think he is the most reputable bariatric surgeon in tj. maybe when you are the best and at the top , everyone tries to knock you down. i think there are many good doctors in mexico, but if you want the most caring, generous and talented, then i say go to DR.HUACUZ. no, i dont work for him, but i wish i could. his hospital is so nice, more like a upscale hotel. the whole staff is so nice. they all love dr huacuz. ive never seen happier nurses . he has a nurse rosa that takes your blood and she is so nice. speaks english and always smiling and laughing. im so so grateful to have doctor huacuz for a doctor .

After readin these threads for some time I came up with a little system:

To chose my surgeon I will take these into considration:

1 Most surgeries performed (lapbands)

2 Least complications (based on patient complaints)

3 Ability to resolv complicatons

4 Availability for questions AFTER your surgery and speaks english

5 Facilities

And my top choices are:

1 Ortiz: Many surgeries, very little complaints, available for questions, english speaking dr. and staff , great facilities

2 Gonzalez: Many surgeries, no complaints, available for questions, english speaking dr and staff, great facilities

3 Ungson: not that many surgeries, no complaints, available for questions, fair english speaker, very good facilities

All the other guys in these forums are plagued with complaints and unpleased patients, infested with people selling them, or they are unreachable or both.

Ill be lookin into these guys a little more and hopin i dont run into any more soap opera digests.

All the other guys in these forums are plagued with complaints and unpleased patients, infested with people selling them, or they are unreachable or both.

:confused: Wow! This is a pretty broad statement and in my opinion, inaccurate! You couldn't pay ME to go to a couple of the doctors on your list. But, to each their own. I'm glad you are happy with doctors you found.

How did you miss Dr. Zapata who's done more than anyone. He's done over 7000 and speaks English as well as I do. He proctored many lapband surgeons in Houston and in the states. I've called him 3 times, once at 10:00pm and talk to him not an asst. on his cell phone if I had questions. He pratices out of Santa Agracias, the hospital, not clinic, the our President would go to if needed medical attention while in Mexico. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of him. Bunches on here have used him. I sent my sisterinlaw, brother, and brotherinaw in Oct.06 and 2 of them are at goal. He's someone you could also consider. He charges 7500.00 which includes everything.

Good luck whoever you choose. You'll do great and you will love your band. It is a wonderful, wonderful tool that I hope I never have to go without. Hugs.

:)Wow! This is a pretty broad statement and in my opinion, inaccurate! You couldn't pay ME to go to a couple of the doctors on your list. But, to each their own. I'm glad you are happy with doctors you found.

You know, I have read your posts tryin to get some HELP, just thinkin this forum is for that perticuler reason. Do you actually contribute to anythin in this forum? Out of your 37 and change that you hav posted, about 30 have been to sell this doctor valencia fella. Have you ever told us of your simptoms, your diet, your aches and pains or anythin other that tellin us how dr valencia is heaven on earth?? I thought this was a place to get and give help and advise, is dr. valencia payin you? if not, it sure seems likeit!

Now, lets get down to busines. Can you please tell us why you wouldt go to the doctors i chose (after lookin real good!) even if they PAID you?!?!

Maybe if you elaborate we can all benefit from your ADVICE. or is this valencia fella the only good one?

You know, I have read your posts tryin to get some HELP, just thinkin this forum is for that perticuler reason. Do you actually contribute to anythin in this forum? Out of your 37 and change that you hav posted, about 30 have been to sell this doctor valencia fella. Have you ever told us of your simptoms, your diet, your aches and pains or anythin other that tellin us how dr valencia is heaven on earth?? I thought this was a place to get and give help and advise, is dr. valencia payin you? if not, it sure seems likeit!

Now, lets get down to busines. Can you please tell us why you wouldt go to the doctors i chose (after lookin real good!) even if they PAID you?!?!

Maybe if you elaborate we can all benefit from your ADVICE. or is this valencia fella the only good one?

thanks for posting the email i sent you, these people shootin down doctors just p**** me off. I got your pix, thannks and have made up my mind, your experience did it, hope your feelin better.

Out of your 37 and change that you hav posted, about 30 have been to sell this doctor valencia fella. Now, lets get down to busines. Can you please tell us why you wouldt go to the doctors i chose (after lookin real good!) even if they PAID you?!?!

You obviously haven't read the other threads elsewhere on this board. I've posted on lots of other topics.

This is what was written that I strongly disagree with: "All the other guys in these forums are plagued with complaints and unpleased patients, infested with people selling them, or they are unreachable or both."

It looks to me like klvn is saying that ALL other doctors but those on his/her list suck! My point is that there are other doctors beside the ones on the list that have great reputations. Yes, I am very happy with Dr. Valencia. I believe that other choices like Dr. Rumbaut, Dr. Zapada and Dr. Kuri are good choices too. Are they also plagued with "complaints, unpleased patients....etc?" As far as I have found, they are not and either is Dr. Valencia.

As for my opinion of the doctors on the list and it's only my opinion..

I would not go to Dr. Ungson - not enough of a track record.

I would not go to Dr. Ortiz - is an assembly line and doesn't operate in a hospital.

Has anyone used Dr. Ungson? Were you happy with the procedure? I had a lap band procedure with Dr. Ortiz two years ago. Great doc, great procedure, great results. I went from a size 24 to an 8/10. However, I now live in Sonora Mx. My sister is coming to visit soon and she is interested in having the lap band procedure. Dr. Ungson is just down the street. It would be way easier and less expensive if she goes to Ungson...any thoughts?

Thanks for any help you offer-

Anu

I am in the process of having the surgery with Dr. Corvala in TJ. I have read a few bad comments on him from a couple people. This had me concerned but I did not take thier word for it because I have no clue who these people are. After much research and speaking with several patients I am going to keep my surgery date scheduled with Dr. Corvala.

When I asked for referalls I was given 15. The first person I spoke with was uber positive about Dr Corvala. This had me concerned about them feeding me only the "happy" patients. The second call I made was to a person who had complications. This person had to go back a week later and have her band reset. I was shocked when I heard her say that she would go back to Dr. Corvala in a heartbeat.

Everything I found has been positive, but the true test will be when I go down for my surgery. I am scheduled for September 5. Feel free to take a look at my blog on myspace. MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/becomingaflyingsquirrel

Dr Corvala placed my band about a month ago. I was neither overly pleased or displeased with him. He only spoke with me for maybe 2 minutes total, and seemed rushed. However, I got my band and so far have had no complications. The hospital and staff staff were as good as any in the states; I particularly I loved my anesthesiolost. A few things about going to Angeles Hospital in Tijuana: If you are not sure what they are giving you something, ask. Patients don't wear arm bands and there was some confusion around giving someone medication intended for another patient. If you can, bring along a pillow and washcloth. Many of the nurses don't speak English but knowing even a little Spanish helps a lot. Be clear about hotel arrangements before you go. "Un momento" does not mean "one minute," it means later (sometimes much later). It can take hours to get back over the border into the USA, so leave plenty early.

Good luck! I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

I had my banding down 2 weeks on Wednesday by Dr. Corvala. Considering I went to another country to have this done I think everything went very well. I meet with the doctor twice before surgery and he was very helpful in making me relax. I also went with my mother who also had it done by him. The hospital was very very clean and the nurses were very nice. Yes the language thing did get in the way at times but they know the important stuff like PAIN. And actually the hospital just called us yesterday to see how we were doing and if they could help us answer any questions.

For us they arranged the time to leave the hotel to get to the airport on time. We had a lot of time to waste at the airport. It only took us a little over an hour to get over the boarder but our driver did say that traffic was good that day. I do not regret going to Dr. Corvala I did have my worries in the beginning but everyone seems to have a different experience. Just follow what they tell you to do before and after surgery and everything should be wonderful. GOOD LUCK!!

Crissy,

I was really hoping you would respond to my comment. I was curious how your experience went. When I first found this message board I was very concerned because I saw all the bad comments regarding Dr. Corvala. I grilled the staff of Dr. Corvala and it turns out that alot of the people that are really bad mouthing him are not even patients. They actually think they ae his competition just trying to drum up business. I hope everything continues to go well for you.