Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wish I could make a decision!

Wow Bellahugz you have certainly gone through the ringer. I am so glad that you are finally on your way to health and happiness. Thanks for sharing your story it was very enlightening for me. All the best as you continue your journey. :-)

Oh yes, i have.. My theme song is "What doesnt kill ya makes you stronger-Kelly Clarkson.

Now I am blessed and trying to get healthier.

Congratulations on your Gastric Bypass too!! You are doing so good!!

Kristina I think everyone has opinions like navels but I don't necessarily want to keep reading the same drivel about which WLS is best. If you are happy with your Bypass or whatever good, otherwise don't tell me that the Lapband is bad.. I am tired of the "know it alls" telling everyone else

the horror stories or whatever. I signed up for lapband discussions and that is why I don't go on the other sites and tell them I think it was wrong for them to have their stomach's rearranged or cut out.. I say whatever works for you is just fine... don't care if you think I"m right or wrong.

I never even posted my opinion on any of the surgeries in this thread. I don't go around preaching about WLS. I was just saying I don't think it's inappropriate for these people to express themselves you can choose not to read it or not to even open the threads that are clearly on the subject. That is your choice but no one should have to censor themselves to cater to you especially when they are clearly responding to the subject of the post.
Exactly. We're not trolling. We are giving opinions and experiences.

WOW, lots of information, thanks everyone for you input!

<p>WOW, lots of information, thanks everyone for you input!</p>

It IS a lot. But, i think, the more the better.

I think it is great that you have so many experiences to hear about on this site. I personally chose the Lap-Band originally because it was less invasive and had a much quicker recovery time. I just was one of the unlucky few that had problems. After one revision surgery on the band, and 2 years of trying to get the fill just right, I pretty much gave up. I have been seeing my doctor again since November, hoping to get a revision to RNY bypass. I lost approximately 80 lbs the first year, but after the problems, and second surgery, have gained nearly all back. So glad I still have options. That being said, many, many people have good luck w/the band and are still doing well years later. You really should listen to your doctor the most though, he/she knows your personal health history and will be the most unbiased about what you need to attain your goals. Good luck with your surgery, and here is to the new healthier you!

@AprilHansen I had a gastric sleeve and had no problem with leaks. If that would happen it would be detected right after surgery as they did a special test on me the next day to check for leaks. They wheeled me down to XRay and had me drink a small amout of a substance that when swallowed would show a leak on Xray. I don't think leaks occur later on down the line from what i can tell. There are side effects and complications that could occur for any of the WLSurgeries. It's up to the indivuidual to do their research on all of the surgeries available and with the help of the medical team to make the right decision for them. I am happy with the gastric sleeve. No problems at all.

<p>@AprilHansen I had a gastric sleeve and had no problem with leaks. If that would happen it would be detected right after surgery as they did a special test on me the next day to check for leaks. They wheeled me down to XRay and had me drink a small amout of a substance that when swallowed would show a leak on Xray. I don't think leaks occur later on down the line from what i can tell. There are side effects and complications that could occur for any of the WLSurgeries. It's up to the indivuidual to do their research on all of the surgeries available and with the help of the medical team to make the right decision for them. I am happy with the gastric sleeve. No problems at all.</p>

Absolutely wonderful!! There are risks with all of this. I'm sorry if it appeared I thought the sleeve was a bad thing. There are lots and lots of happy sleevers and not that many revisions. We're all so different. Because I'm a sugar addict, the bypass was right for me.

So for over 2 years now, I've been back and forth between lapband and bypass. Now I am 4 weeks away from being done with all my pre-surgery requirements and I STILL can't make my mind up which surgery I want to have. I've read books, websites, internet forums and I can't make my mind up. What is wrong with me? I have diabetes, so bypass seems best for that, but I'm not sure I want my body parts rearranged. I think lapband because if you later gain some weight you can have it filled again and get back on track, where a bypass if you stretch your pouch you are just out of luck (or so it seems), please don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to "gain" anything back, but keeping it real I've read many stories of folks who eat the wrong things and gain. I'm just saying that if that were to happen I would think the lapband would make sense. Then there is the issue of time off work, I don't have much time to be off and with lapband seems like a faster back to work time. But then I go back and I'm still thinking about my diabetes....see what I mean, this is my head everyday all day long! If I could hear perhaps from some diabetics that the band has helped that might help me with my decision. I'm getting down to the wire! Please help

I had the RNY with a silastic ring which is an additional tool to help you feel full and not over eat and stretch your pouch. I don't have diabetes, but just letting you know you have the option of the ring to go with the RNY.

Wow, I had no idea that they had that option as well!

I had the RNY with a silastic ring which is an additional tool to help you feel full and not over eat and stretch your pouch. I don't have diabetes, but just letting you know you have the option of the ring to go with the RNY.

I think the best thing for you to do continue to do your research and to talk with your Doctor and see what choice work for you. Each of us is different, our bodies of health history etc. Good luck to you!!

Edited by BellaHugz

Ms. ren0318, you asked a great question and you've had lots of input from folks who have "been there, done that". I'd truly love to know - did everyone's input help you make a decision? There really is no right or wrong answer. All three surgeries are safe and effective. And all three have their strengths and weaknesses relative to each other and to your individual circumstances.That's really what the forum is all about - helping folks, sharing ideas and supporting each other. You wished that you could make a decision. How did we do in making your wish come true?

Well DL, you all did help me make a decision actually--I'm 99.9% sure I'm going with the gastric sleeve! I read all your posts and did a lot more reading on all 3 procedures and sleeve has won!

And once again I want to thank you all for your feedback and for sharing your experiences with all the procedures!

Well guys, our work here is done!!

Ren0318 - congratulations on your decision!! You're gonna love the new you!!

<p>Well DL, you all did help me make a decision actually--I'm 99.9% sure I'm going with the gastric sleeve! I read all your posts and did a lot more reading on all 3 procedures and sleeve has won!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>And once again I want to thank you all for your feedback and for sharing your experiences with all the procedures!</p>

Congratulations! :-)

Hi If I were you I would get the bypass that is now what I am getting and I have diabetics and was original getting the sleeve but all the doctors suggested the bypass and not to mention i have heart burn from time to time. Good luck.

I also have GERD! I've not seen the surgeon yet, but my diabetes Dr. is suggesting on bypass.

Sleeve is not recommended if you already have GERD. Some develop it and have to revise again. RNY is only surgery that I've read that offers best hope of LT remission of Diabetes. BTW, I have a sleeve. :)