Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wish I could make a decision!

You may want to double check your weight loss benefit. If you get the band and God forbid there are issues that prevent it from working for you your insurance may not cover another surgery.

So for over 2 years now, I've been back and forth between lapband and bypass. Now I am 4 weeks away from being done with all my pre-surgery requirements and I STILL can't make my mind up which surgery I want to have. I've read books, websites, internet forums and I can't make my mind up. What is wrong with me? I have diabetes, so bypass seems best for that, but I'm not sure I want my body parts rearranged. I think lapband because if you later gain some weight you can have it filled again and get back on track, where a bypass if you stretch your pouch you are just out of luck (or so it seems), please don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to "gain" anything back, but keeping it real I've read many stories of folks who eat the wrong things and gain. I'm just saying that if that were to happen I would think the lapband would make sense. Then there is the issue of time off work, I don't have much time to be off and with lapband seems like a faster back to work time. But then I go back and I'm still thinking about my diabetes....see what I mean, this is my head everyday all day long! If I could hear perhaps from some diabetics that the band has helped that might help me with my decision. I'm getting down to the wire! Please help

Hello, I've not read all your responses so sorry if I repeat what others have said. I'm 30 years old and diabetic. I wanted to have the band but when I met with my surgeon she raised her concerns as I have a history of binge eating and she suggested the sleeve stating it would be a better option for me. She explained how the sleeve & bypass are better options for diabetics due to a chemical reaction when part of the stomach is removed and it removes a hunger hormone. She suggested due to my age the sleeve because if in the future I put weight on and my health and diabetes becomes out of control again I then have the option of a bypass op. Once you have had the bypass further weight loss surgery isn't possible. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I straight away listened to her professional opinion and am having the sleeve in a couple of days. I hope this helps and keep us updated on your decision and journey. All the best, Gemma

My doctor said if any of his patients wanted lapband, he would do his best to talk them out of it

Bypass bypass bypass!! Everyone else has given you all the facts and reasoning and my beliefs are along the same lines so just wanted to throw out my non medical opinion! Lol

<p>My doctor said if any of his patients wanted lapband, he would do his best to talk them out of it</p>

I never wanted the lapband but come to find out my insurance doesn't offer coverage for that specific WLS anymore.

i have the band and now am off of insulin. I was taking 200 units of lantus and upwards of 30 units of Humalog a day. within a month I was able to go down to 30 units of lantus and zero of Humalog. and now I am off of it altogether. my blood sugars in the morning are 90-100. so even with the band it will help with your diabetes. this is a big decision. I am glad you are doing the homework to decide what you want to do. I wish you lots of luck

Thanks Chelly, I really think I need to do what's best for my diabetes which is bypass, and I suppose I'll have doubts right up until they knock me out! My endo really is pushing for bypass....

I have had several friends with the band and out of 3 friends 2 of them had it removed and had bi pass done both of them would go up and down then the other one gained 100 pounds back after all you do to lose it I would never want to gain it back I'm 17 months out by 1 year I was at my goal weight I had rny and I'm very happy with my results and choice

During my research stage I was originally considering the band. But I read of so many people doing a band to bypass conversion, which made me drop the band option. My decision was clinched when I found my team doesn't even do the band anymore - too many complications and failures. They offer the sleeve and gastric bypass as choices. All my research pointed to Bypass as the most successful in amount of weight lost and long term success in people like myself, so it was the best choice for me.

Do your research and make the choice that is best for you.

It's a personal choice, and one that should be made by knowing all the facts, and also what your risk tolerance is. Each surgery comes with it's own set of risks, and different levels of statistical efficacy. Some people succeed with each of them, and some fail. Statistically, the RNY has the most long term success and most scientific research, and is still the gold standard in WLS. I had the sleeve, and I'm glad I did, but it was the right choice for me. My surgeon told me I could have either the RNY or the sleeve, but would likely lose more weight with RNY. Only you can decide what is right for you. Good luck!

I had diabetes and had the lapband a year ago. I have had zero complications, my diabetes is gone. I no longer take meds for diabetes, high cholesterol or blood pressure. There are bad and good things about each surgery. I did recuperate quickly from my band surgery and have lost 60 lbs so far. The weight does come off slower but I feel healthy and do not have any problems . There is more patient compliance involved with the band because you are aware of what and how you eat. Best of Luck to you in your decision.

best of luck with whatever you decide

any WLS can and does have complications but not always

and any WLS can have success and not so great success

for various reasons....results will vary ....whatever you get, do

the best you can and get well...

So for over 2 years now, I've been back and forth between lapband and bypass. Now I am 4 weeks away from being done with all my pre-surgery requirements and I STILL can't make my mind up which surgery I want to have. I've read books, websites, internet forums and I can't make my mind up.

What is wrong with me? I have diabetes, so bypass seems best for that, but I'm not sure I want my body parts rearranged. I think lapband because if you later gain some weight you can have it filled again and get back on track, where a bypass if you stretch your pouch you are just out of luck (or so it seems), please don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to "gain" anything back, but keeping it real I've read many stories of folks who eat the wrong things and gain. I'm just saying that if that were to happen I would think the lapband would make sense.

Then there is the issue of time off work, I don't have much time to be off and with lapband seems like a faster back to work time.

But then I go back and I'm still thinking about my diabetes....see what I mean, this is my head everyday all day long!

If I could hear perhaps from some diabetics that the band has helped that might help me with my decision.

I'm getting down to the wire! Please help

post-211374-0-48283000-1396268700_thumb.png

I have Binge Eating Disorder and Bulimia (exercise, not purging type), so I wanted something permanent and irreversible. The band just seemed like it would be too easy to give into my impulses. "Well, the holidays are coming up and I want to enjoy them. I've worked hard so lets let some Fluid out." I can see that going downhill for me very quickly.

I think you've already made up your mind somewhat that the RNY is the way to go for you, but something is scaring you about it; something is holding you back. Instead of making a pros and cons about the surgical procedures, try writing down your thoughts about each. Be really honest about what you would like about each procedure and then see if those reasons are really going to lead you to the result you want in the future. Take into account the medical advice you've been given.

Good luck and let us know what you decide! :)

Personally, I would avoid the Lap Band. It seems to (just my perception) not be as effective and a lot of people (even on these forums) hate their decision to get the Lap Band and do end up reversing the procedure and going ahead with the Sleeve or the Bypass.

Good luck in your decision. I got the sleeve and honestly it was the best decision for me. I have a friend who has the bypass and her dumping syndrome scares me a little bit. Plus I've lost more weight than her in the first 6 months then it took her a year to lose and she had more weight than me to lose overall. But I also remember my surgeon telling me that if a patient has diabetes or sugar issues they would always recommend the bypass because of the dumping syndrome, and some patients actually like that reassurance.

Whatever you choose, we'll support you.

I love it when people really read stuff...

<bashes her head repeatedly on her laptop keyboard>

:blink:

(Hmm.. inspiration for a rant post, perhaps?... :D)