Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wish I could make a decision!

So for over 2 years now, I've been back and forth between lapband and bypass. Now I am 4 weeks away from being done with all my pre-surgery requirements and I STILL can't make my mind up which surgery I want to have. I've read books, websites, internet forums and I can't make my mind up.

What is wrong with me? I have diabetes, so bypass seems best for that, but I'm not sure I want my body parts rearranged. I think lapband because if you later gain some weight you can have it filled again and get back on track, where a bypass if you stretch your pouch you are just out of luck (or so it seems), please don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to "gain" anything back, but keeping it real I've read many stories of folks who eat the wrong things and gain. I'm just saying that if that were to happen I would think the lapband would make sense.

Then there is the issue of time off work, I don't have much time to be off and with lapband seems like a faster back to work time.

But then I go back and I'm still thinking about my diabetes....see what I mean, this is my head everyday all day long!

If I could hear perhaps from some diabetics that the band has helped that might help me with my decision.

I'm getting down to the wire! Please help

Has anyone mentioned the sleeve to you or will that complicate things more?

Well I've looked at that too--- I'll take any feedback:)

I had diabetes and had the gastric bypass surgery and haven't taken a med for it since the day of the surgery.

I just had my A1C done this past week and it was 4.7

I know that it is scary to make this decision but I'm glad I did in the long run.

At first I was going to have the sleeve but I also had Gerds and with the sleeve it can get worse so I didn't want to take that chance and also diabetes doesn't go away with the sleeve like it does with the bypass.

I know that you are thinking about the lapband and all I can say about it is that I know people that had it and wand up changing afterwards to bypass.

The final decision is yours and I wish you all the luck in the world in whatever you decide.

Thanks Chelly, I really think I need to do what's best for my diabetes which is bypass, and I suppose I'll have doubts right up until they knock me out! My endo really is pushing for bypass....

I think you should listen to your Endocrynologist, they know your history and are the experts. Good luck to you.

I had bypass recently and I personally think it's the way to go. My surgeon said he hasn't even done a lapband is over two years. One of my friends was a severe diabetic. Taking mass amounts of insulin everyday. He has bypass 3 years ago and hasn't hardly used insulin since. I know people that have gain weight back with both surgeries, you have to make a permanent life style change for either to work, but I think long term, especially with diabetes, bypass is the way to go.

I am type 2 diabetic and my surgeon recommended the bypass over the other options. In addition I had bad acid reflux which the other surgeries could cause it to get worse. What is your surgeon recommending for you?

I also have GERD! I've not seen the surgeon yet, but my diabetes Dr. is suggesting on bypass.

<p>So for over 2 years now, I've been back and forth between lapband and bypass. Now I am 4 weeks away from being done with all my pre-surgery requirements and I STILL can't make my mind up which surgery I want to have. I've read books, websites, internet forums and I can't make my mind up.</p> <p> </p> <p>What is wrong with me? I have diabetes, so bypass seems best for that, but I'm not sure I want my body parts rearranged. I think lapband because if you later gain some weight you can have it filled again and get back on track, where a bypass if you stretch your pouch you are just out of luck (or so it seems), please don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to "gain" anything back, but keeping it real I've read many stories of folks who eat the wrong things and gain. I'm just saying that if that were to happen I would think the lapband would make sense.</p> <p> </p> <p>Then there is the issue of time off work, I don't have much time to be off and with lapband seems like a faster back to work time.</p> <p> </p> <p>But then I go back and I'm still thinking about my diabetes....see what I mean, this is my head everyday all day long!</p> <p> </p> <p>If I could hear perhaps from some diabetics that the band has helped that might help me with my decision.</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm getting down to the wire! Please help</p>

What is the reasoning for one or the other about diabetics?

Seems the goal is weight loss to eliminate or help the condition.

I do not have diabetes, but I had high blood pressure and a few other things.

I had lap-band 09/28/11. I am down 300 pounds! Best decision I have EVER made!

Best wishes!

As has been stated before - the experts are suggesting a particular procedure for a reason - and particularly for you.

Its always healthy to do your own research and your own analysis - I know I did. Lots of it. If you're worried about the suggestion made (thinking there could be alternatives/better out there), ask more questions of your medical team. Get them to substantiate to you personally why they have suggested what they have and not another procedure like gastric balloon, plication, duodenal switch, sleeve, hanging butt-naked from a tree.

But and again as has been stated before by LL, you have a whopper of a condition that should not be considered lightly.

Consequently and if it was me? I'd be looking for procedures proven to improve that condition in the quickest amount of time possible.

If it helps clarify your mind, draw yourself a pros and cons list of each surgery available (as you have been informed, there are more than 2), and how each of them would specifically impact upon you.

You could also break it down into categories for example of a) post surgery down time B) post surgical up-keep c) long term prognosis on conditions of concern d) surgical risks e) average weight loss f) mortality/complication rate g) Vitamin deficiency h) dietry requirements (short and long term), i) impact on life/family, etc

If you start working along those lines, analysing the things that matter to you most (and of which are most important medically to your doctor, too), you will eventually generate the answer you need. You could also take that list into your doctor when you go in for your next chat. I did. Blew the buggers away with how comprehensive I'd been. (Not surprising considering how anal I can be!)

We all know how confusing it can be. Crikey, I must have read every academic journal available, but I got there in the end.

The only problem after making that decision was taking the deep breath required to walk into theatre - knowing I was electing to get sliced and diced (yeah, sorry, I'm a bit gruesome like that!) :blink:

Through all of it though - and forgive the cliche, however repetitive yet true - I wish I'd done it years ago.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. There's a lot of knowledge on this thread and in these forums - about all the procedures. Hopefully the answers you require will be balanced, impartial, accurate and more importantly, relevant funny! (only kidding) :)

You got this!

You might want to throw out the expediency reasoning to get the band. I love my band but you should select the operation that will give you the best outlook for the future.

If you haven't watched this video, check it out when you find time? Dr. Oliak explains how he goes about recommending one surgery over another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VmvWFu79Ik#t=99

I chose RNY for many reasons including having Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Also I get bouts of reflux so it was really the only choice I had. Since my surgery on the 18th I've not taken a single med for the diabetes or the High cholesterol. Also my blood pressure is way down, that will be evaluated over time and I'm told eventually I'll probably be able to drop that med as well. (perhaps inside of 2 to 3 months). It's a decision that should be made with your medical support team, thou there are clear choices depending on your health. Good luck - keep us posted.

I would go with what ur Doc suggested. I had a band for almost 7 years and didn't lose the weight I needed and was still on diabetes meds. Also my band slipped so I had it removed to gastric. I am a diabetic with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I researched both the sleeve and gastric and talked about it with my doc and asked her if she were in my shoes which would she do. She stated gastric due to lower risk than the sleeve, would come off my diabetes meds, and would lose more weight. I am glad I made the right decision for me and I should have done it right the first time instead of worrying about the time off. I have taken off so much time from illness associated with my weight. So this time off will help me when I heal not to be taken off for weight related issue. Good luck with ur decision!!