Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you smoked or vaped e-cigarettes and not had complications post surgery?

Hello, well I had my surgery a month ago and didn't stop vaping. I vaped in front of the staff just before going for my surgery and once conscious I continued. I've not had any complications due to nicotine. I believe cigs with the tar and chemicals would have had an effect on my recovery but not vaping. So happy days :))

So my advise to anyone awaiting surgery who smokes would be to make the switch. :))

Ive been vaping for well over a year now and truly slowed down a bunch since I had the sleeve on 9-15. I lowered my nic to 4mg from 18mg but still worried. I do what I can but worrying about EVERYTHING I do just makes everything worse ie: pain, panic that something will go wrong, etc....

I'm a smoker and I started smoking again since around 2 weeks post-op without complication.

My surgeon was ok with it and said you can quit it later if you cannot do all at once. I sure do want to quit some day though.

I had a nurse tell me that they consider vaping as smoking and that I would have to stop. :( Then the surgeons nurse called and told me I would have to stop. I vape 6mg now and plan on going to 3mg and then to 0mg. I don't know if they test but I'm going to do what they say anyway. Don't want to mess up my chance to have the surgery!

I quit smoking about 2 months ago, prerequisite for the surgery...so I started the vapor pipe and my dietician said if it still has nicotine you can't use it. so, I am happy to say I am nicotine free...I still use the vapor pipe..but the liquid is "0" nicotine.

Go Jeannie!! :D

I have vaped zero nicotine since I quit smoking analogs one year ago April 1!!! I am proud to say I have been free of nicotine for one full year!

I vape 12mg. I did until the day of surgery, and from the day after I resumed. I had no problems at all from surgery or during recovery. When I told my regular doctor that I hadn't had an analog cigaretter in over a year she put "former smoker" in my records.... I guess many surgeons view it differently, it is hard to sort through the propaganda, but most doctors are very anti-smoking even if they do it themselves. They are giving the advice they feel required to give, because they/we all know how bad it is.

Edited by liannatx