Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new to the whole forum thing, I don't really know where to start. I'm 30 years old and weigh 407 lbs, I have been over weight for most of my life. I'm planning on having Gastric Bypass Surgery, we're shooting for August... all I have to do is lose 50 lbs and stop smoking. I've accomplised the not smoking part and I have also cut out drinking any and all sodas (Coca Cola is my vice). My journey actually started about two years ago. In 2012 I found a surgeon who took my insurance and got an appoointment, I had to drive 4 hours to get to each and every appointment, I even got my physc eval out of the way. Several months later I found out that the surgery was being offered in a city less than two hours away from my hometown. I contacted that office and it was no problem at all transferring. I had to redo some of the appointments and evaluations but I was determined and willing to do whatever it took. I met with my nutritionist, I had to lose 50 lbs before I could meet with the surgeon to talk about surgery. So, I started my diet and exercise. Three weeks later I was down 17 lbs... I was over the moon and on the right track. A few weeks later I got a letter in the mail stating the my surgeon had left the hospital, so surgery was out of the question at this point. Many months went by and I ended up losing my job, my insurance, my motivation.... it became a really dark time for me.

Now, here we are, it's 2014; I haven't worked in about 5 months... I feel as if not to many people are willing to hire a 400 lb woman (at least that's how I feel). Being couped up in the house over these past few months I have very anti-social and get anxiety when it comes to leaving the house. I was able to find another surgeon, had my physc eval, met with the dietician and have all my pre-op testings scheduled. Now all I have to lose 50 lbs and surgery is a go!! I've been really strict with what I am eating and I'm writing everything down. My husband thinks I'm being a little obcessive about it but I have to be strict with myself. It's been three weeks since I have started dieting and I'm down about 13 lbs but now I'm at a complete stand still. I'm still sticking to the diet, 1500 calories or less a day but I can't motivate myself to exercise. Every time I start my exercises there is always something else I think of that I need to do instead. I keep thinking that something is always going to stand in the way of me having surgery. And I realize the only person standing in my way, is me. I just don't know what to do to change how I'm feeling. I'm in need of some big time encouragement!!

Edited by ash_ham1983

Are you able to maybe get into some therapy post op? Sounds like you might need to talk out so of your anxiety issues. To lose the 50 lbs before surgery you may have to be a little obsessive but only you know if it's to a point were it's seriously affecting your life and your marriage. Your husband knows you so I would take his opinion seriously if he thinks your behavior is abnormal or detrimental.

As far as working out, if it's not something you want to do, it's hard to do. I'm 3 weeks out now and I don't want to do it. I just don't feel like it. The thing is, if this something you really want and really need, it's something you are going to just have to do. You don't have to go to the gym for 3 hours every day. Go for a walk around your neighborhood or go to the park. Even if you only start with 5 minutes a day, that's still better than nothing. A few years ago, the thought of walking or riding my bike for more than a few minutes was daunting but I started slow, and now I can walk for miles and my husband and I do a 17 mile bike trail a couple of times in the summer. We are hoping to do the full 32 mile trail by the end of this summer.

You can do this. It's hard, it's a long journey, and sometimes it just sucks. But either you do it now, and in a year from now you'll be so glad you did, or you can keep doing the same thing you've been doing for years and a year from now you'll regret you didn't do it already.

Thank you for the encouragement. It helps to know that I'm not in this completely alone. There are people out there that know exactly what I'm going through and the struggles I am having. I agree that it would do me a lot of good to talk to someone about my issues, I need to find a healthier way of coping with things.

I've been telling mysef all day that "tomorrow is the day"!! I plan on loading my ipod with music and start with one lap around the block... it is certainly better than sitting in the house doing nothing. And your right, I would really regret not putting forth the effort for these past couple of years for nothing. If you don't mind me asking did you have to lose any weight before surgery? I'm finding it hard to find different variety of things to eat. I live in a very small town in the bootheel of Missouri and our two grocery stores don't carry a wide variety of fresh vegetables. I do have to say since my diet I cook a lot healthier for the whole family and they seem to like it. If you have any suggestions for meal plans or recipes I would be forever greatful. And again, thank you for your response.

I didn't have to lose weight to get approved. About a year before I decided to have surgery I decided I would try to lose some weight on my own and see what happened. I had previously lost and kept off 20lbs.

I used my fitness pal to track what I ate and I really stuck to it through the week and let myself go easy on the weekends. I lost about 20 more lbs over a couple of months but then my weight loss stalled. I did make some major changes to my diet though and that helped me keep the weight off until my surgery. I cut out all drinks that were sweetened, upped my Water intake, and tried to make better choices, more salads, less french fries ECT. I also focused on increasing my activity levels.

Some things I've found that have helped me are eating foods that keep me fuller longer. Increase your Protein, decrease your carbs. I also have learned to love cooking and baking over the past few years.

As for recipes, I have a couple of go to recipes that my family loves and that are healthy.

If you don't have access to fresh veggies, use frozen. The frozen green giant veggies, even the ones in cheese sauce are filling and low calorie. You can replace mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower. I add a bit of cheddar cheese, some low fat cream cheese and a tiny bit of hot sauce.

One my favorite easy recipes is to just take a couple of chicken breast and throw them in a crock pot with a can of diced tomatoes, a can of corn, a can of Rotel, two cans of black Beans and a pack of chicken taco or fajita seasoning. Let it cook for 4-6 hours and shred the chicken. Here are a couple of other recipes I like. They are almost all high in Protein and low carb and very filling.

Here are a few

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/235311/greek-yogurt-parmesan-chicken I don't use all the seasoning, just some salt and pepper and Italian flavored panko

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/skinny-ranch-dip/ This is super high protein, and is great with baked chips or carrots and celery

http://www.food.com/recipe/salsa-chicken-slow-cooker-recipe-396495 This is great on its own or you can add it to taco shells, salads, burritos ECT.

http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2013/09/2-ingredient-healthy-banana-bread-breakfast-cookies-with-delicious-add-ins/ Ok honestly, my husband hated this one, but I liked it and it's a good fix for your sweet tooth.

I'll add more if I think of them. Good luck. You can do this, do it now while you're still young. Stay on the forums, there's a lot of support and inspiration here.