Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2014 Sleevers

Had my sleeve 3/12/2014 I am 19 days post op. When I went for my 2 mile walk I decided to jog some if it. I jogged a quarter of a mile and walked the rest. Everyone seems to think I'm pushing myself to hard. Is it true and I'm just being hard headed?

I am post op 18 days, down from 256 to 221. I have the painful gas bubble, head hungry not to bad. I have always loved to cook so I am exploring new sleeve recipes. I am encouraged by the exchanges on this website and encouragement. Stay strong, we all had our reasons for this surgery. So keep working towards your goals!

I just want to say to the pre-ops, it might be difficult for the first week. Please keep in mind it's major surgery, you know what you are getting into. Don't beat yourself up mentally by regretting it or blaming yourself. This is part of the process and everyone's experience is different. Just because something is difficult doesn't mean it's not worth doing!

Edited by Loveit2012

Hi everyone,

Not sure how to get the quotes to work so will do it the old fashioned way..

@@Dondie Olivia About the food cravings vs hunger I had to think for the last week to decide what the heck I was feeling. It took me just over a week but I realize now that what I thought was hunger was really more like a craving. Food occupied a far too important part of my life and now I am working to make myself cognizant of the fact that I am really craving the food, the social part of eating with my family or eating out and not really hunger. I find that if I keep myself busy, eat my small meal (I am in the pureed phase so I only just added cream of wheat and cottage cheese with pears/peaches canned and blended) drink my shakes and sip my Soups I can pretty much function and not focus on food and instead focus on life. My sister who did this 10 years ago and is down 140 pounds still said she had to find something to replace food as her focus/interest. Hope this helps you.

@@JurneeOfOne: I had my surgery the very same day but I weigh much more than you. I don't know how you feel but I feel that it would be unwise of me to actually run, jump or jog with my stomach stitches/staples right now. My doctor said it really takes about 4-6 weeks for the stomach to heal and the staple line to solidify and I would not advise anyone to put any kind of impact on that line of sutures or staples until that time. Maybe you could speed walk instead of jog or use an eliptic or bike to get more cardio in. Ultimately it's your body and only you know how you feel so do your best but I can see why those who care for you don't want you to push too hard. You'd really hate it if you sprung a leak down there and had to reset your healing back to a new day one. At either rate good for you for walking so much, my doc did say walking was an excellent way to recover.

Weekend passing way too quick, happy shakes and soups to you all :D

Edited by odesa

Hi! I got sleeved on the 26th, about five days ago. My story is different from most of yours because I'm an American living in Japan--a country where people rarely have issues with obesity. I'm only the 18th sleeve patient that my hospital has done. One big difference between Japan and Western countries w/r/t the sleeve procedure is that Japan is fairly insistent on a lengthy hospital stay. I checked in two days before the surgery (where they fed me intravenously only), and they wouldn't let me check out until earlier this morning.

According to the doctors, the surgery was a big success--no evidence of leaks or any other issues.

But I still confess to having had two little freak-outs. The first was two nights after the surgery, when my stomach wouldn't stop rumbling. Oh no, I thought, I'm not supposed to feel hunger anymore, but I'm dying to eat something! I've made a huge mistake--I'll always be ravenous for the rest of my life! The nurse gave me a nausea pill and a sleep pill (both melted in my mouth), and I went to sleep in about 15 minutes. That was the worst of the rumbles--it was likely the gastric juices settling, from what I've read.

The second little freak-out happened just now, my first evening home. I've consistently sipped about 2 liters of Water today (which should be enough) but I'm still quite thirsty. Does that mean the water isn't staying in my stomach but is instead dripping out in a dreaded LEAK? So, I got out of bed, poured another tall glass of water, and checked for sleeve info on the net which brought me here. While checking the net, and creating a new id for this forum, and writing this post, I continually sipped water once every two or three minutes.

And now, guess what: I'm not so thirsty anymore. I'm thinking I put too much miso paste in the miso Soup I made for lunch and dinner, and that dehydrated me a little. Anxiety is down and I'm feeling foolish for freaking out, but really happy I found this site and community.

If anyone has any questions about getting sleeved in Japan, please let me know. And any advice about my dehydration, I'd love to hear it (but I doubt it's much of an issue as long as I keep sipping). Thanks!

Welcome Ebert,

Not sure how they do the sleeve in Japan but with mine they gave me something to dry me out to assist my surgeon in the procedure. I was thirsty for my first week and my mouth was often dry. It just takes awhile for the dryness to pass and it does once you start getting in well north of 60 oz a day of fluids. More the better. I was stationed in Misawa Japan back in the late 80's when I was in the Army so I do know what you mean about the Japanese culture. Very little obesity over there for sure.

Best regards.

Hi! I got sleeved on the 26th, about five days ago. My story is different from most of yours because I'm an American living in Japan--a country where people rarely have issues with obesity. I'm only the 18th sleeve patient that my hospital has done. One big difference between Japan and Western countries w/r/t the sleeve procedure is that Japan is fairly insistent on a lengthy hospital stay. I checked in two days before the surgery (where they fed me intravenously only), and they wouldn't let me check out until earlier this morning. According to the doctors, the surgery was a big success--no evidence of leaks or any other issues. But I still confess to having had two little freak-outs. The first was two nights after the surgery, when my stomach wouldn't stop rumbling. Oh no, I thought, I'm not supposed to feel hunger anymore, but I'm dying to eat something! I've made a huge mistake--I'll always be ravenous for the rest of my life! The nurse gave me a nausea pill and a sleep pill (both melted in my mouth), and I went to sleep in about 15 minutes. That was the worst of the rumbles--it was likely the gastric juices settling, from what I've read. The second little freak-out happened just now, my first evening home. I've consistently sipped about 2 liters of Water today (which should be enough) but I'm still quite thirsty. Does that mean the water isn't staying in my stomach but is instead dripping out in a dreaded LEAK? So, I got out of bed, poured another tall glass of water, and checked for sleeve info on the net which brought me here. While checking the net, and creating a new id for this forum, and writing this post, I continually sipped water once every two or three minutes. And now, guess what: I'm not so thirsty anymore. I'm thinking I put too much miso paste in the miso Soup I made for lunch and dinner, and that dehydrated me a little. Anxiety is down and I'm feeling foolish for freaking out, but really happy I found this site and community. If anyone has any questions about getting sleeved in Japan, please let me know. And any advice about my dehydration, I'd love to hear it (but I doubt it's much of an issue as long as I keep sipping). Thanks!

Oh that's really interesting. You should start your own thread. What is the process to get approved for the surgery there?

I imagine it would be more of a lonely feeling in Japan. But again here in the US we are so overweight, and I feel bad for people who are overweight and those having surgery.

Ebert, I was sleeved on the March20 & had dry mouth first 2 weeks. It's good to be thirsty I guess to keep us drinking. I also had a meltdown that first week,cried, just knew I'd made a mistake.

As far as staying longer in a Hospital, I think that May have been comforting to me, I was so scared of a leak while @ home.

Welcome to the losers side!

Hi everyone just had my sleeve done this fri march 28 got out of the hospital yesterday afternoon. After surgery was terrible anastasia did me in throw up a lot of blood almost passed out twice fri night. Sat felt better but this gas cramps sucks n is ridiculously uncomfortable. Trying to sleep in my bed last night was hard. I don't want 2 eat went in the hospital at 307 left yesterday at 316 nurse said cuz they filled me with gas depressing 2 go backwards. Lost 3lbs today from yesterday so gas must be coming out. Every time I go 2 the bathroom straight liquid in the back yuck sry. liquids r fine but hurts to go down feels like a buuble or pain on chest.

Questions

1. Can u Sleep On your side after gastric SLEEVE

2. Y does it hurt when sipping liquids

3. Is my stomach supposed 2 make werid noises.?

4. How long till all this gas leaves u?

5 .burping hurts y?

Any advice any comments r welcome this is all way 2 new n a crazy journey but happy 2 have this app site 4 help thank u everyone n good luck 2 everyone on ur journey's! !

Edited by jerseygrl09

Many of you are asking about better tasting Protein Shakes. I went to the Vitamin Shoppe two weeks after I was sleeved & the store manager suggested for me to try a Protein Shake called nectar. Nectar was on the list of Protein shakes my doctor suggested. The store manager said Nectar was the most popular amongst bariatric patients. I bought the double stuffed cookie flavor.... it is YUMMY!! One scoop with 8 oz of skim milk is a total of 31 grams of protein! I highly suggest for you guys to try this brand! :-)

Thanks for the suggestion!

This is it everyone I go in for surgery at 8:30am today for my sleeve omg what am I doing. Its 6am here in jersey crying happy scared. My husband is driving me 2 the hospital in freehold as we speak. I kno gods with me all is going 2 be well! Here we go wish me luck will post sat when I get home!

How are you doing?

Jerseygrl I had the same problem with the gas. Walk and move around as much as you can. I also had trouble with cold liquids. My doctor said this was because the cold makes the esophagus spasm and there is still a lot of gas in there. This went away in a few days for me.

@@jdillon in pain hanging in their still gassy dont want 2 eat it hurts going down feels like a bubble or gas cramp. sleeping is hard.

Edited by jerseygrl09