Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling, need some food suggestions

Hello all, I will be traveling out of state next week and I'm curious what foods you have found that are decent to eat on the run. Like fast food or restaurants that have good choices. I will have a fridge in my hotel so I plan on make a trip to the grocery store but know we will be out and about a lot.

Also concerned about the airport and plane ride, can't bring food with me. So anyone have some suggestions for that.

Thanks

Is there a reason you can't bring food with you to the airport and airplane? I'd bring some Protein bars, some nuts, maybe some dried fruit to munch on. You generally are stuck with salads at fast food restaurants.

When was your surgery date?

You can bring food on the plane. At 5 weeks though that's going to be difficult. You might bring powdered Protein to the airport and then once your past security, buy Water and mix a shake. You can take liquids on the plane, just not through security. You could also bring prepackaged powdered Soup mixes and get hot Water in the airport. Might need to watch the sodium though.

I disagree about fast food only being salads. I don't handle lettuce well right now anyhow. I have found a lot of good fast food choices.

Wendy's chilli

Jack in the box grilled chicken strips

Chick fil a grilled chicken nuggets

McDonald's grilled chicken wraps (I don't eat the tortilla)

Chipotle side of chicken or sofrita

Panera bread hidden menu (google it)

In and out Protein style burger

Mongolian BBQ places (basically chose your own stir fry stuff)

Grocery store salad bars are awesome choices bc they have lots of meats, boiled eggs, Beans and such

When I traveled at 5 weeks I stuck to: scrambled eggs, chili, meatloaf, Soup. I had some RTD Protein shakes and some Protein powder. I did this as a road trip so there were Cracker Barrels and Wendys everywhere (if you're comfortable being somewhere like that. I liked knowing that I would know what I was getting.)

I had just been cleared to soft meats at that time; I don't know what your diet is like.

String cheese. You can get it through security and it really doesn't need to be refrigerated. I took some with me at 6 weeks out. I also took nectar Protein mix. It was a great way to make sure I kept up with my Protein. You are probably to early out to be able to handle beef Jerky. I travel a lot and I always take some. The sodium is high but sometimes you gotta pick the lesser of the evils. Also a big edemame fan! It's packed with protein. You can get it roasted. It's a still a go to for me!

Good luck!

KFC's grilled chicken breast is 220 calories with 40 grams of Protein. It's moist so if you can eat chicken now, it's a good choice. Go for the green Beans on the side vs. the mashed potatoes. They're way over cooked, but that's ok. Jimmy John's is also a good choice. If you go on their website you can create your own sandwich and see what adding/subtracting does to the nutritional values. If you don't have those choices, or some of the others listed above, I would say bypass the fast food. Don't sabotage your success with fried food. :) There are almost always good choices you can make at places - you just have to look past the crap and ask some questions. ;)

Awesome you are giving me so many ideas. I'm cleared for soft meats and cooked veggies. No beef Jerky but I have tried some turkey pepperoni. String cheese is great. I'm traveling with my one yr old so I'm hoping we can share some Snacks on the plane.

I love nuts dried fruit and trail mix but thought that was a no no ? Is that something I may be able to do later on?

Lots of good suggestions. I am traveling right now and can addd some suggestions. There are some companies that make premixed tuna in an envelope pouch. 100 calories as I remember. Also small canned chicken with pull tab tops. Neither needs refrigeration and you can slip them into your carry on. I pretty much always have some in my travel bag so if I get back to hotel I have something I can eat. I'm not really ready for fast food or even going to get something healthy from fast food joints.....

You can certainly bring food with you on the plane. What I do too is bring an empty Water bottle with me, that can go through security, then fill it with Water from a fountain or get a drink when you are inside the gates. There are other great suggestions on here from the people above. Good luck.