Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Just Starting the journey?

Also new here. I had my consultation with surgeon on Friday. Went to have blood drawn this morning. I'm hoping to hear something back in the next week or so about getting insurance approval. I've already done the psych eval and had nut assessment. If insurance approves, all I have left to do is pre-op appt. with surgeon, pre-op meet with nut, and set a date! Fingers crossed that insurance comes through....... :) I'm really hoping to be able to have the surgery by the end of June. Not sure if that's feasible, but that's what I'm hoping for!! ;)

Also new here. I had my consultation with surgeon on Friday. Went to have blood drawn this morning. I'm hoping to hear something back in the next week or so about getting insurance approval. I've already done the psych eval and had nut assessment. If insurance approves, all I have left to do is pre-op appt. with surgeon, pre-op meet with nut, and set a date! Fingers crossed that insurance comes through....... :) I'm really hoping to be able to have the surgery by the end of June. Not sure if that's feasible, but that's what I'm hoping for!! ;)

I'm in my fourth month of a required 6 months process of appointments and diet

i made the decision to do this in January. My tests are complete and i "passed". My husband had lap band (2000) then GPS (2011) so I knew the routine. The surgery is a covered benefit and I did everything I was supposed to for insurance protocol and they denied me. Their reasons were not having two pieces of paper but they are claiming it is a medical reason not a clerical reason and I have to appeal. I was so down and upset I made myself sad all the time. I was inconsolable for weeks, i cried at the mention of diet, surgery, Protein, you name it (yes I was pathetic) and then I found this site. It took about 3 seconds for me to realize how lucky I am my surgery is covered and how easily I sailed through the tests. They have my appeal now and I am waiting to hear what they say.

First they said I didnt need to be pre-approved because my surgery was outpatient (really???) so I scheduled my pre-op; then they denied me outright; then they said the only way to get it done was to have my surgeon call them. He is the best bariatric surgeon in the state and that was just well I will say it STUPID. But after reading your stories of success, trials, tribulationals of this process and the amazing support you get just by reading someone else's story I immediately lost all my anxt about the surgery (to my husbands everylasting relief!) I watch what i eat, i keep my Protein high, i am exercising at least 10 minutes a day - not long ago I couldnt do a minute without losing my breath. My best friend told me I could do it on my own and didnt need the surgery to lose the weight. She is probably right, but the truth is its not losing the weight that I struggle with its keeping it off long term. My metabolism has tanked and my surgeon believes this is the tool I need to get it under control. I dont have any health problems except high cholestorol but even that is not bad enough for meds. What I am trying to avoid is future health problems from carrying this weight into my 50's. Its just a matter of time. My husband is a week out from hip replacement, 14 months out from knee replacement. At the doctor now to talk about surgery for a hernia. He has high blood pressure, sugar addiction. This will be me unless I take control now. The Insurance Company may try to delay it but they wont succeed in stopping me. Now I know I can do this and succeed. Thank you to everyone who posts here everyday. You are a true blessing to this former basket case.

I'm new, and trying to find my first step! Do I see my regular physician first? (my ins, costco Employee Aetna) doesn't require a referral, so can I just go see the bariatric surgeons office? Do I make my own nut appt first? Do I see a psych first? Ahhh! lol

My BMI at my dr.'s appt on Friday (yearly appt to refill my ADD rx) was 47+, so I don't think I'll have issues getting approval?

Oy. I've been researching since December and still can't figure out where to start lol

Musicmomma, you can go to a free seminar offered by the surgeon you have selected. Make sure they are in network for your insurance and can perform the type of surgery you want. Not all types of surgery will available by your insurance. At this seminar they will be able to guide through the process. You may have to do 6 moths of supervised diet and nutrition so that is based on your insurance or the surgeon.

I agree with dtiller1147. My insurance did not require a referral either. I researched and chose the doctor I wanted (in network of course) and contacted them for next steps. They guided me through the entire process, seminar and all.

I am also just starting. I'm so excited! I attended the seminar at the end of April and met with my surgeons NP today. Everything went well. My insurance requires a 12 month wait period to be approved. During this 12 month period I was told I will need to have a UGI, sleep study, Psych eval, meet with a Dietician, get a physical eval to make sure I am able to exercise to do my part after surgery to maintain a healthy weight and I will have to meet with the NP once a month until my surgery for weight checks. It seems like a lot but during the next 12 months I intend on setting small goals for myself to help prepare me for life after surgery (ie: eating slower 20+ minutes, drinking more Water, cutting out soda and sweets, cutting out carbs, eating smaller portions etc.). I am definitely ready for a life change. I have been overweight all of my life. I suffer from PCOS, Hyperthyroidism, Edema and I am pre-diabetic with a BMI of about 50. I'm ready to LOOK like the person that I FEEL like on the inside. I can't wait to be more confident and proud and more outgoing. I'm curious if anyone that has had the surgery, also had PCOS and did the symptoms of your PCOS subside after your weight loss? Any advice is welcomed. Best of luck to all the beginners like me! I hope we can follow one another's stories.

Edited by 2NewBeginningsxoxo

I'm also a newbie. Met with my surgeon the end of April and the psychologist May 21st. My insurance requires me to be obese for 5 years and see the psychologist. My weight has been up and down all my life so I don't have records of being obese 5 years in a row. I hope they just mean proof of 5 years of being obese. My surgeons office should be sending my paperwork to my insurance tomorrow. This waiting is killing me. One thing I have been doing is researching VSG. I have read books on it, and have watched loads of Youtube videos. It's good to see all sides of this surgery and watching peoples journeys. Good luck to everyone.

Hello I am Bridget. I will be having the gastric sleeve on may 28 in mexico with Dr rod with belite weight. I am super excited. I weigh 261 and target weight is 150. My BMI is 42. Just ready to get my health and life back. No insurance. Self pay.

<p>I'm new, and trying to find my first step! Do I see my regular physician first? (my ins, costco Employee Aetna) doesn't require a referral, so can I just go see the bariatric surgeons office? Do I make my own nut appt first? Do I see a psych first? Ahhh! lol</p> <p> </p> <p>My BMI at my dr.'s appt on Friday (yearly appt to refill my ADD rx) was 47+, so I don't think I'll have issues getting approval?</p> <p> </p> <p>Oy. I've been researching since December and still can't figure out where to start lol</p>

I am sure you have probably figured this out by now but just make appt with Bariatric surgeon. I started that way and my surgery date is a month and 6 days from my original appointment. I will have Gastric sleeved June 12 th. I first saw surgeon May 6 th.

Hi, I'm a newbie as well. I made the decision to get the band a few weeks ago. I had already gone to a seminar because I was thinking about the sleeve in 2012. I got pregnant and didn't pursue it. Now, I'm on the road to mu surgery. I have Aetna and I have to do 3 months supervised. I have an appointment with the surgeon and the nutritionist next week.

Can't wait until this journey can officially begin.

Soooooo, how's everyone doing on this thread with loosing weight on your/our own? I started in mid-February and I've lost 12-15 (depending on day of the month) pounds with just cutting down on carbs, skipping some Desserts and walking/jogging a couple times a week. I'm logging on mfp. Clothes fitting better.....Just 2 more months to meet insurance qualifications....

<p>Soooooo, how's everyone doing on this thread with loosing weight on your/our own? &nbsp;I started in mid-February and I've lost 12-15 (depending on day of the month) pounds with just cutting down on carbs, skipping some Desserts and walking/jogging a couple times a week. &nbsp;I'm logging on mfp. Clothes fitting better.....Just 2 more months to meet insurance qualifications....</p>

OK here is an update... My surgery was approved!!!! I will have surgery September 10th... I start my Optifast Sat Aug 9 until September 8th.... I had my EGD on Last Friday. I have to lose 13.6lbs by September 2nd. But with only eating and drinking the Optifast products, I should be able to do it...I've heard really good things about it. How is everyone else doing on their journey????¿

Oh I also stopped smoking July 14th!!!! I've been walking 45 mins about 3 times a week.... I'm really excited!!!!Not much longer now!!!

I have completed my sleep study, psych eval, and I had my third visit Monday. I got a letter from my PCP stating my surgery is medically necessary and that was what my insurance company required. I have Humana Platinum PPO. I'm concerned about me not doing the six month straight of Weightloss. I wonder will my surgeon look at this and not want to do my surgery. I have tried everything and everyday trying to lose weight including paying a personal trainer $1500 to lose 5 pounds. I'm nervous and anxious and I start school soon. Does anyone know if the deductible is due before it after surgery? I have limited funds from all the copays.