Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All!

I have been following this website (as a guest) for a very long time now. I think it's been since 2005! I have been wanting to get banded for quite some time now but I didn't meet my insurance's standards. :think However, I should be able to go somewhere and self pay hopefully in about less than a year so I'm excited! :mad:

You all have inspired me to want to become a better being (well, aside from my son..heehee). I know that sounds sooooo cheezy and cliche, but it's true. I used to think (believe it or not) that I was the only one that had problems with self esteem and food. Where I live, everyone is damned near perfect (or so they say), so it's hard to cope when you have no one who understands you. I love food and ever since my pregnancy in 2002, I haven't stopped eating for 2. I think that I eat for 4 or 5 now. I hate going out with my friends b/c they're all thin and can eat like 1/2 of a salad and push it away. Me on the other hand, I'm chowing down on 12 hot wings and some ultimate nachos drenched in salsa and sour cream along with whatever I ordered as an entree! :nervous Oh no, I'm running on a tangent again! hehehe :)

I love this website b/c people can come together and share their experiences and receive great feedback from others who truly understand them. I am so proud of all of you for taking that step and deciding to make a change for the better. I want to be where you all are sooooo badly but I have to wait a few months longer! Grrrrr, it sucks to wait, but it's well worth it. Hey! I've waited for 2 years, what's another couple of months gonna hurt.

I have one big question. Here in NC, I have researched how much it would be to self pay, and I looked up Dr. Bauman (excuse the spelling) in Charlotte. The overall total was roughly b/w 17000 and 19000!!!!! I thought I was about to have a heart attack right then and there! If anyone could please recommend me a good physician that is relatively cheaper, that would be great. I reeeeeeeeally don't want to travel to Mexico (that would mean having to get a passport and spend more on a plane ticket) but if it's my only option, so be it! :mad:

Well, I hope everyone is well and once again, congratulations and thanks for keeping the hope alive!

<3,

Brit

There is someone I've heard people mention in Colarado, and I thin kthe figures were under 10k, but you'd have to search for it, I don't know anything other than that.

I'm sorry for the stupid question, but what's the significance of "less than three"??? Surely it's some kind of internet thing, but I can't figure it out. :)

Welcome, Brit, and good luck with your journey. I was self-pay and my dr. was $13,000, which includes fills for a year as well as the support groups, nutritionist, social worker, etc. Also, if I hae a problem and need re-surgery, his fees are covered for the first year. But I'm in Utah so it won't really help you--just giving you a reference point. I looked into Mexico because many people are very happy with the dr.'s there but it seemed that by the time I paid for the ticket and found a place to do the fills and then got all the fills (I was quoted $250 each), it would be about the same. I also like having my dr. nearby for questions, problems, etc. So I'm very happy with my decision. Good luck! Karen

Just be sure you find a place near you that does fills and see how much they are; check, too, on their experience. One lady on a thread here said that she had a dr. do her fill (it was only his 2nd fill) and she has had major problems and has not lost weight. If you have to pay a lot for fills, it can end up costing you what you saved by traveling. I've also heard of a less expensive dr. in Colorado but you would have to do some searching on the site to try to find more info.

So when your first post had "<3" in it twice, you didn't mean to put it there or know what it means? Just curious--I'm with Wheetsin and can't figure it out.

Good luck! You have lots of research to do but you will find your answers and be confident of your solution because of your knowledge gained while researching. Don't be afraid to ask LOTS of questions--an informed decision is the best kind of decision IMHO.

I'm sorry for the stupid question, but what's the significance of "less than three"??? Surely it's some kind of internet thing, but I can't figure it out. :mad:

futurern2bsn - welcome to the site. i know i've seen places that are about 10k-ish ... for some reason lapbandrockies.com comes to mind ???? try it out.

wheetsin - <3 is a heart sideways - tilt your head to the right :)

<3 is a heart sideways - tilt your head to the right :)

Ahhhhh! Thanks. I just couldn't figure it out either.

Oh! I completely didn't see that. I was thinking - "Showing some LBT less than three?"

Oh! I completely didn't see that. I was thinking - "Showing some LBT less than three?"

Yup, me, too. lol. I'm thinking less than three posts? less than three threads? less than three kids? less than three..... Oh my.