Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the process of approval. Is it true you can't eat carbs after the surgery or is it just for a period of time after surgery? I was just curious!;)

It seems to be the way it's done in the USA, but it isnt done that way everywhere in the world. We're not advised to follow low carb diets or put Protein first in Australia, just to eat sensibly, healthily and from the five food groups, avoid what doesnt agree with us and try to eat solid food, not too much mushy.

I've eaten carbs all the way through and my stats bear me out that it is not necessary to eliminate carbs in order to lose.

But I do think the overly carb focussed low fat diet that was pushed as healthy throughout the 80's and 90's has pretty much been debunked, I think overall to lose and keep it off you do need to lower your carbs and up the Protein a bit - mostly by cutting out processed carbs - white bread, white rice, Cookies, cake, chips, etc. Of course you can have a treat now and then, but basically your carbs need to be good wholegrain low GI ones like oatmeal and good wholegrain bread etc.

But our bodies need carbs for energy, the cravings when you cut them dont come from detoxing or anything, they come from the fact that you're witholding an entire food group! Which always makes you lose weight - scientific mumbo jumbo about insulin levels aside - NONE of that is proven. Its all conjecture.

Being banded, I've found my carb intake has increased dramatically simply as a matter of course. Bread does become hard to eat and its no longer a food I'd say that I like much. You have to focus on good nutrients so the protein and vegetables tend to come to the fore, I do try to get in my dairy for Calcium and basically there's not a lot of room left for starchy things. I rarely would eat potato or rice with dinner anymore but I do love a good spaghetti bolognaise occasionally and I always always start the day with muesli, oatmeal or weetbix, something good and fibrous to keep my bowels healthy and to give me a good burst of energy for the start of the day.

So overall, I think lower carb, different carbs but not NO carbs.

I also dont like to eat out of boxes and packets. meat comes from the butchers, fish from the fish shop and fruit and veg come from the market or the fruit and veg shop. Packaged foods are too full of stuff that you dont need and higher in fat, more processed and just not as good for you. Learning to cook properly from scratch is a skill that will help your weightloss along remarkably.

I managed to get carbs in after surgery by blending anything that was fair game! I even had Christmas turky blended up, lol.

The nutritionist I saw last week didn't say a thing about giving up carbs (though I already have given up simple sugars and enriched flours, etc.). they do caution you about the possibility that breads and rice may get "stuck" (may not, it's different from person to person). The thing about simple carbs is that they are really awful. They only provide calories, without nutritional value. Now if you are talking complex carbs, whole grain breads, sweet potatoes, etc...then you are getting more bang for your buck. You will be taking in so many fewer calories, I think the thought is to make every one of them count.

I think complex carbs are fine, but with our limited portions, I want to focus on Protein first just to make sure I get enough to keep my hair from falling out! And I agree with fresh foods! I've even tried some of the shortcut TV dinner style foods, and they are gross! As long as I'm making healthy changes in my life, I'm going to stick with whole foods/raw foods!

Oh you can eat carbs... but you shouldn't. :love:

Complex carbs are ok, but those devil simple sugars that go down easy are the devil!!!!

Its not that you can't eat carbs its that you need to get your Protein in first 60 grams a day before you eat carbs. Carbs fill you up faster. You need to stick to protein first, veggies second then carbs. Good luck.

I agree with juliegraci-

First off, it isn't really about NOT eating carbs, it is about MAKING SURE you eat your Protein, very important for good health and healing.

Secondly, carbs break down to sugars in the digestive tract. When you burn fat, it also turns into a sugar.

Fat breaks down into glycerol (sugar) and fatty acids, which means that you can completely cut out carbs (but not FIBER) and you are effectively not withholding any nutrients from your body.

Fat cells do not store Protein, Fiber or most Vitamins, so we keep intake of those up.

I'm not a dietician or doctor, I just play one on the internet- Hope medical/dietician people can correct me if any of this is innaccurate. ;D

The dietician that I met with did not say to give up carbs, but to, whenever possible, eat my meals in this order... protiens, vegetables, starches/carbs.

Her explanation is that you need to ensure you're getting adequate protien, and with the the starchy stuff at the end of your meal, you're more likely to be full and not eat as much of it.

You may have to give up bread - cause fluffy white bread turns into a gluey mass and gets stuck...

but I enjoy a corn tortilla or some lovely Beans or lentils every so often...

Protein first

then veggies

THEN - if there is room - carbs.

Good luck!

FOR ME....... and I stress...... FOR ME...

I have to eat a Low Carb diet.. when I don't I INSTANTLY BLOW UP (Like I am now) I have PCOS and also a nonexistant Thyroid, a double whammy working against my metabolism. If one delves deeply into the Low Carb world, you would find that there is no such thing as a NO CARB diet. 1 egg has .6 carbs, as does our veggies. If a label says 0 carbs per serving you need to count it as 1 because they can legally say 0 even if it is .999

I have lost 80 lbs 3 times in my life following an Atkins type diet, I have gotten pregnant by eating a Low Carb diet (Lowering my carbs keeps the cysts on my ovaries at bay and allows my body to ovulate) I could go on and on about this but I wont....

Again, not everyone processes carbohydrates efficiently and I am one of those people. Since I am here you might say.. well she's proof it doesn't work.... and I would disagree........... I got here AGAIN because of my obsessive love of Pasta, and bread and everything CARBY... (simple carbs) and those type things are triggers for me.. along with doses of self sabotage.. oh and my MONSTER appetite once I get going in the viscious carb hell cycle.... (one bite of a doughnut and I would wake up days later with dried ice cream on my face and empty boxes of twinkies scattered around me!) LOL I'm kidding .................. kinda..

I do believe that whole grains, and more complex carbs can be tolerated better....

everyone is different, and everyone has their own path to choose.

I view the band as my tool as a FORCED committment to a low carb lifestyle... and yes, for me it WILL be Protein first, veggies second and lastly carbs... but never again will I be physically able to eat an ENTIRE pizza by myself... and right now I could.

I too believe that watching my carb intake hastens my weightloss. Carbs cause me to "graze" foods that I wouldn't if I were eating my Proteins and veggies.

I lost 70 lbs a few years back doing Atkins. I'm going even better with my "Restricter" installed. My carb count ise higher now than on Atkins, but I still avoid the sugars, bread, Pasta, white rice, etc. Portion size is the key to making this work.

Bruce

Carbs often get a bad wrap, but they are needed in the diet. They are critical to brain function and mental clarity. Alot of people go on high Protein no carb diets and but thier bodies into ketosis. Which IMHO isn't healthy for the long hall. It's about balance.