Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Serenity, Congratulations on your restriction. It feels good dosen't it? I'm at 1.6 cc and will have a fifth fill on my birthday 9/27. I hope it does the trick. I feel a little restricted but not where I should be. I was banded on May 29 th and weight is slowly comig off. I've lost 31# but would like to loose more. But then again who dosen't want to loose weight LOL. Congratulations again,

Sheila

Sandra, Wow what a delimia. A 9/10 GREAT I bet you'll look smashing in your dress seamstresses can work wonders. Keep your head up High I'll be rooting for you. Good Luck Sheila

TOM finally came...ten times worse than usual..I cant hardly function..

I put on pants this morning that are normally loose.. well.. they were clinging to my calves!!!

I'M MISERABLE!! UGH!

Kathy,

Yes, I'm right with you, but I don't have alot of hair. Mine is thin and baby fine. I started getting nervous when I would keep finding it on the bathroom counter/sink/floor after blow drying my hair. I upped the Protein, am being more diligent about my Vitamins, and bought Biotin and zinc, and I'm hoping for the best. Guess we just have to hang in there. I am also going to talk to my doctor when I go in two weeks.

Cindy

Kathy and Cindy.....the scale says I lost 2 lbs this week and I think it was 2 lbs of hair!!!!!

When does it stop?? Does anyone know because I am getting a little worried!

METALBAND,

HA! You crack me up! I guess I'm tired or something, but I really got a chuckle out of that!

and Cindyluhu...I guess we're all experiencing the same thing. I didn't think about the Vitamin issue. I have not taken ANY Vitamins yet...guess I'll start tomorrow. I have not been the model bandster as far as food choices. I TRY to eat good things, but it's hard when I continue to lose when I eat what I want (usually includes something in the chocolate food group!). I know it will catch up with me, so I need to get serious and start eating better!

Thanks for all your answers. I feel better, although I'm still not sure what to expect. Hopefully it will stop. If anyone has any other info, please share!

HAVE A HAPPY WEEKEND!!!

Kathy:)

What causes excessive Hair loss?

A number of things can cause excessive hair loss. For example, about 3 or 4 months after an illness or a major surgery, you may suddenly lose a large amount of hair. This hair loss is related to the stress of the illness and is temporary.

Hormonal problems may cause hair loss. If your thyroid gland is overactive or underactive, your hair may fall out. This hair loss usually can be helped by treatment thyroid disease. Hair loss may occur if male or female hormones, known as androgens and estrogens, are out of balance. Correcting the hormone imbalance may stop your hair loss.

Many women notice hair loss about 3 months after they've had a baby. This loss is also related to hormones. During pregnancy, high levels of certain hormones cause the body to keep hair that would normally fall out. When the hormones return to pre-pregnancy levels, that hair falls out and the normal cycle of growth and loss starts again.

Some medicines can cause hair loss. This type of hair loss improves when you stop taking the medicine. Medicines that can cause hair loss include blood thinners (also called anticoagulants), medicines used for gout, medicines used in chemotherapy to treat cancer, Vitamin A (if too much is taken), birth control pills and antidepressants.

Certain infections can cause hair loss. Fungal infections of the scalp can cause hair loss in children. The infection is easily treated with antifungal medicines.

Finally, hair loss may occur as part of an underlying disease, such as lupus or diabetes. Since hair loss may be an early sign of a disease, it is important to find the cause so that it can be treated.

I found this on the web, it is very interesting. Lap-Band is major surgery, I was given blood thinners after my surgery, and it can be a stressful time. And as you loose weight your hormone levels can change. So the weight loss or the lack of Protein might not be the only cause for the hair loss.

LauraP,

Great info! I too fall into several of the categories...weight loss, hormone changes (my period has been out of whack! my gyn put me on BCP's for 2 months because of it), surgery, stress...no wonder my hair is falling out!!

Thanks, it makes me feel better!:waytogo:

Kathy

thanks Sheila...it is a real strange feeling because my mind has not caught up with my stomach yet. Hopefully if you go to 2ccs you will feel it, let me know. I took a large jump from 1.25 ccs to 2ccs, but the fill doctor was on board as he agreed that I was not losing fast enough 17lbs since surgery, so he was aggressive with the fill - God Bless him.

I wanted to let you know that I spoke maybe a month ago about my Hair loss. I too had a very thick head of hair and for almost 2 months i was shedding worse than my dogs!!! It was really freaking me out because I never thought it would end. It stopped right after I got a new hair cut. My doc and just about everyone i talk to says its normal - we are shocking our bodies by eating healthy and exercising!!

I also want to bring up (just incase others are experiencing it) that for over a month i lost NOTHING!!!!! I was having trouble couting calories, fat, Protein, etc so I joined Weight Watchers. I have lost 8 lbs (2wks) and am going to continue counting points while it works!!! Also I have had 5 fills and i think i am finally feeling something like restriction (2.9 in 4cc)

GOod luck to all and don't worry

Laura,

Thanks for the article, certainly makes me feel better. Because of a heavy tom, I have been on bcp for several years. Well, two months ago, I decided to try Lybrel. This is a bcp that you take every day, and you don't get a tom!! I love it. So it could be a slightly different hormone level for me, as well as the stress and blood thinners of surgery; and, of course, the quick weight loss. Sure hope it's only temporary, which everyone says, so I'm hopeful.

Love the band!!

Cindy

Dori,

Funny you should mention. I've been thinking of going back to weightwatchers again. I figure it wouldn't hurt to reinforce the healthy eating, recipes and weekly face to face support. I'm truly not great about amounts that I eat, I have just been "winging" it, and trying to be aware of Protein and low fat. Did you tell them you had lap band surgery? The leader I mean? My sister has started going and asked me to join her (she knows about my surgery and is VERY supportive). She, however, just had her third child 1 1/2 years ago, and just wants maybe 15 - 20 pounds to lose.

Cindy

I cant win... not only do I have the TOM from hell... but now I caught a cold that is completely kicking my @ss!!! AND in true Melissa form... the cold is going directly to my ear. I've had ear infections my whole life (several surgeries, tubes..even had my one ear drum replaced)... I've been infection free for almost 16 months... but its come back :sick

Twinmommy- I haven't shipped the pants just yet.. I'm shooting for Monday.

It's so funny to hear that just about everyone else is loosing hair 2. I have very thick hair and I was noticing more then normal loss, but was not really worried until I reached back one day for a poney tail and noticed that it was going to be a thin poney. I freaked out and decided to get on the Protein Bars. I have noticed a big difference in the amount of Hair loss since then. I try to have atleast 1per day. Usually mid morning when I get hungry again. Then I have a later lunch.

I have just had my fill since my unfill for bad behavior in june. Things are going much better. The weight loss has picked back up, and I too have wondered just how much was I stuffing into my clothes. It is amazing at how much I've lost and they are just now getting comfortable or little baggy.. Work is putting ina gym with showers and it should be ready at the end of october. I'm hoping this helps me out with the excersing. It seems like everyone is doing well and Congrats to everone on awsome weight loss.

Melissa- I am so sorry! My daughter has dealt with ear problems her whole life too, I know how painful that is! I hope you feel better soon.

hair loss- I have had quite a bit lately too. I think its hormones doing it as this has happened with each of my 4 kids also. It didnt matter if I had a C Section or natural. I am blessed with lots of very thick hair so unless this continues for several more months I dont think anyone will notice. I do need to find some good Vitamins though!

My scale has been moving in the right direction for the past 3 weeks to the tune of about 3 lbs a week, I attribute this to the personal trainer kicking my tail and good food choices. I have noticed in the past week I have the ability to eat more with no problems including bread. I dont think they will give me another fill because of my weight loss but I do not like being able to eat a whole sandwich! If this continues for a couple more weeks I may have to load my pockets with rocks and see if i can get them to give me a very small fill. Anyone else having this problem?