Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Week Pre-Op Liquid Diet

I am 34/F 295 lbs having RNY-Distal on March 18, 2014. I am having the surgery @ Siani in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

My surgeon does not require the 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery. I decided I want to do the liquid diet anyhow because of the benefits. I ordered Bariatric Advantage chocolate Meal Replacement. ($67.00)

And what I have discovered is WHOA, this is WAY harder then I thought! I am on day 3 of this diet and have cheated all 3 days! Day 1 i made the shake like it says on the package. 8 oz of Water and 2 scoops of powder. DISGUSTING! My next shake I used 8 oz of 1% milk and only 1 scoop of powder. That was much, much better. But I was still hungry, so I cheated. I ate some of the food from my kids plates when they were finished with dinner. So I made my next shake with 12 oz of 1% milk, 2tsp instant Decaf coffee and a scoop and a half of powder. I love the shake now, it's very tasty....but I can't get my mind strong enough to NOT cheat. I am also doing 8 oz of broth and 64 oz of water.

Please help. Does anyone else cheat on the liquid diet? If I'm not strong enough to stop eating for this phase does that mean I wont be able to after surgery?

Thanks for any advise or help! -Kim

Hi Kim, I'm 3/14 and I honestly cheated 2/7 days of my preop diet. Beating myself up of course. However I'm morphing my mindset to be accountable. I would hate to be considered a statistic that failed after 20k+ was invested in attempt to make me healthy.

I woke out of my sleep at 4 am to go shopping and stock my kitchen with food I'm suppose to eat. Today is a new day, in retrospect if I try to justify cheating I'm only hindering my success.

Good luck to you!

Hi Kim, I'm 3/14 and I honestly cheated 2/7 days of my preop diet. Beating myself up of course. However I'm morphing my mindset to be accountable. I would hate to be considered a statistic that failed after 20k+ was invested in attempt to make me healthy.<br><br>

I woke out of my sleep at 4 am to go shopping and stock my kitchen with food I'm suppose to eat. Today is a new day, in retrospect if I try to justify cheating I'm only hindering my success.<br><br>

Good luck to you!

@survivingsleever Thank You for responding! I have decided I am going to eat one small healthy meal a day. Doing liquid only was not working for me. I don't know anyone that is strong enough to make it through 2 weeks of an only liquid diet. I know it will be a lot easier after surgery when I don't have a huge belly to fill. Congrats on the March 14th! You will do great!!

Hi Kim,

I am 47 years old and weigh 267 pounds. I live in North Dakota. I am scheduled for the gastric bypass on 3-26-14. My surgeon requires the 2 week Protein shake diet prior to surgery. I need to drink 3 shakes a day and can have one diet frozen dinner (less than 320 calories) and 1 1/2 cups vegetables a day. I can also have fat free or light salad dressing, broth and sugar free Jello. Could you possibly add any of these to your diet? I was also told that I can add any kind of extract to my shake for different flavoring.

I am starting this on Tuesday and am feeling very anxious about this whole thing. I have been trying to "squeeze in" all of my fattening favorite foods before Tuesday.

Take care and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Sandy

@Sandy,

Thank you for the great advise! I thought liquid diet meant only liquid Meal Replacement. Adding a small healthy meal makes it SO much easier. I have drank some broth and lots of Water.

I am going to the store today to find some sugar free additives for my shakes. Good luck to you! I'm so excited for everyone here!

I'm also having RNY on the 18th. I'm a week into the liquid diet and it's going well. I have both the chocolate and the vanilla Bariatric Advantage. I'm allowed to add fresh or frozen fruits to the shakes as well as flaxseed oil, honey, Peanut Butter and nuts. There is also a recipe for a root beer float using diet root beer with the vanilla shake mix. Because I have Type 2 diabetes I'm allowed to add a frozen dinner or a single serving of chicken to me meals. Don't beat yourself up if you eat, it's not the worst thing. Best of luck to all.

<p>I'm also having RNY on the 18th. I'm a week into the liquid diet and it's going well. I have both the chocolate and the vanilla Bariatric Advantage. I'm allowed to add fresh or frozen fruits to the shakes as well as flaxseed oil, honey, Peanut Butter and nuts. There is also a recipe for a root beer float using diet root beer with the vanilla shake mix. Because I have Type 2 diabetes I'm allowed to add a frozen dinner or a single serving of chicken to me meals. Don't beat yourself up if you eat, it's not the worst thing. Best of luck to all.</p>

@SugarFreeMe

I feel good about the liquid diet now that I understand it is ok to have a very small, low calorie meal as well. I was just blown away that we were expected to go from several meals/snacks a day to liquid. I think I am doing alright now.

I cant do the rootbeer float, but it sounds SUPER yummy! I gave up all soda. Thanks for the ideas to add to my shakes!

My Doctor recommended that I only eat the Healthy Choice frozen meals (I'm on 4 shakes a day and one frozen meal) especially the steamers since they are all like 260 calories. I am struggling with this diet and I get a meal so I can't imagine how hard it must be to go all liquid!

For my two week pre surgery I had to drink 3 Protein Shakes a day . And between shakes I could have broth , or a low fat Greek yogurt between shakes

I have been eating more than just the shakes still. I appreciate all ideas on variations on the diet. Does or did your doctors restrict your diet further the 24 or 48 hours before surgery? I didn't get the drink to clean out my intestines either. Does anyone know what that is? Or what I could use?

My dr didn't give me anything like that either . I only has to the the liquid diet .

I just actually got back from Walgreens where I had to purchase a bottle of Magnesium Citrate which is used the day before surgery to "clean" the system. Also on the last day I can only have clean liquids, no shakes. I received instructions for this at my pre-op testing appt at the hospital. That may be when you get your instructions also.

I had a shake tonight that was actually a great change. 2 scoops of chocolate Protein, 8oz skim milk, about a cup of ice cubes and a tablespoon of Peanut Butter. Blend and drink, it was a pleasant surprise, it didn't taste overly sweet.

I have been eating more than just the shakes still. I appreciate all ideas on variations on the diet. Does or did your doctors restrict your diet further the 24 or 48 hours before surgery? I didn't get the drink to clean out my intestines either. Does anyone know what that is? Or what I could use?

Every doctors preop is different. 3 days prior you should try to drink as many Clear Liquids and broth as possible. The purpose of the liquid diet for 2 weeks is threefold...one to lose some weight before surgery....two to keep your intestines and stomach cleaned out ...(less infection) and three to firm up your liver and detoxify it so it doesn't get in the way during surgery ( it shrinks) and firms up. It helps to heal the body after. Keeping in mind the reasons is helping me through it ! Good luck !

I'm going to do mostly clear liquids Sunday and Monday. My surgery is Tuesday. I have to write down the stuff you got @ Walgreens. I'm also going to try your Peanut Butter shake. It sounds great! Thanks girls!!