Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I gotta get out of this

I began my WLS journey on this forum in 2009. The lapband worked for me and I felt great loosing weight. Fast forward..........had twins and my mother passes a month later. During my pregnancy I didn't gain any weight I actually lost weight. I had all the Fluid removed due to Acid Reflux during my pregnancy and then refilled to 4cc but I can still eat every and anything. Several months later I have gained almost all of my weight back. I'm an emotional eater and can't help but eat all day. food makes me feel happy, it doesn't judge me and it has no expectations. I want to get back on my weight loss journey I just can't seem to find the strength or self discipline.

You've already taken some steps...you want to do something, you came here.

I'd suggest getting back to basics...measure all of your food. If you're still hungry after you've done that for a week or so, maybe you need a fill. While you're eating lots, it's hard to know if you need a fill.

Start walking..even just a little.

I got back to basics four weeks ago and am doing great. You can, too!

I'm sorry about the loss of your mom. It must be difficult.

xoxxo

I'm so sorry for your troubles. I can't even imagine giving birht only to lose your mother so soon afterwards. I can totally understand you gaining the weight back. Can I suggest you go back to the doctor and talk to him/her about starting over? Maybe another fill? Maybe work closely with the nut to help you get back on track? Good luck and wishing you continued success.

Oh Honey, I so understand. It seems that for us emotional eaters, the surgery doesn't help much.

I think I need to get a fill maybe 1-2cc. I usually do a liquid diet 2 days before fill. I think that will help get my mind and self together. My biggest challenge will be my spouse he is very overweight and over indulges in food especially junk food. But I am going to focus I have to get my weight under control. I've noticed since I've gained weight I have no energy, my muscles, knees and back constantly hurt. I didn't pay all that money for it to be in vain.

Hi there, so sorry about your Mom and of course life with new babies can be overwhelming at times. Twins! I think you are doing a great job of identifying what's happening, the reasons you reach for food. Noticing these triggers is a huge step in the right direction. I worked hard on this and ended up going to a therapist. We broke down the behaviors to very specific events. I knew I ate to quell the whirring of anxiety inside but when I really examined the occurrences I was able to get more information.

One example, I work from home and when I have to have a conference call I used to get so nervous I would prep myself with something to eat ahead of time. This turned into eating every time I went to sit down at my desk and do a task I didn't really want to do -- I'd pop up and run to the kitchen to get something to eat while I was in front of the keyboard. So I had to change that up. Now I have a big bottle of my comfort drink instead (Water with splash of cranberry and aloe) and I drink up. That's just one instance -- point is I had to look at each of my triggers like that. In the car and wanting "something" -- is it real hunger (ha!), boredom, sadness, despair -- why am I feeling the way I feel? Even when I wasn't stopping each time I got to notice what was happening and this led to incremental changes. And of course having the band at the right restriction so that my appetite monster wasn't cheering me on in the eating department -- that has made a world of difference. Have a heart-to-heart talk with your husband and let him know how much you need his support and that you can't have the junk and comfort foods in the house. Period.

You have been through a lot of ups and downs recently! I am so happy about your twins and so sad about your mother!

I'm am an emotional eater also so I get it. I love food just like you and eating certain foods used to make me so happy, but afterwards not so much! I felt like an out of control piggy (lol). Let me ask you some questions: how did you feel when you were losing weight? Do you remember how it felt to have people notice your weight loss? Do you remember how it felt to lose weight and to be in sizes that you hadn't been in - in years?

Although you have been under a tremendous amount of stress - you can do this! Throw out all the foods that you feel are stopping you from your weight loss! Make a doctors appt - do this for you & for your twins! You are the most important person to them, just like your mom was to you! You are going to succeed - if you need to talk - message me I'll be glad to help & encourage you!

re: "I'm an emotional eater and can't help but eat all day."

That's a familiar tune, are you watching over my shoulder?

When I do find the bear minimum part of what's important to me, that too becomes an emotional event. With daily attention, I find I can 'eat emotionally' but not have to eat all day long. I can become 'emotional' about just eating when I'm hungry...and it somehow gives me a sort of heady elated sensation, I feel like actual physical activity, and go outside to do some chores...which during our winter monsoons has been a different kind of emotion....

Another help for me is to find that when I ~dont't~ overeat I get emotional then too, and even feel better....

I've managed to wean away~mostly~ from 'sport eating' to actual 'meal time'....yet still I can look at a picture of something and somehow feel I've gained a pound.

I like to focus on my 'eating behavior' as I find THAT is far more controllable by my rational Brain. The little kid/emotional eater part of me is so much = Belly Beasts that I may as well revert to any number of other childhood diversions that don't serve my needs.

Keeping a food list helps me. I've got to start one. Again.

You can do this.

Best wishes to you getting back on track.

you are on the right track.. You did it once and with a little push you can get there again.. Thank Goodness you have a band to help you. get back to your Dr. have a fill if needed, talk with the nutritionist and make a trip to the store and stock up on things you know are good for you. You need to get healthy and stay that way for your children and maybe your husband will get on board. Best of Luck to you.