Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Time - Band vs Bypass

I'm self employed and on call basically round the clock so getting even an afternoon off, let alone days off is very difficult and very risky. I have been considering a band for years and finally have insurance to do it.

My first meeting with a surgeon and he tells me that with my BMI, I should really do a bypass. He went on to tell me (insist really) that outside of an extra day in the hospital that recovery is basically the same for both.

I know a few people who had a band that have done well and were back to work very quickly. One had surgery Friday and was working (from home) on Monday. The only person I know that had a bypass was laid up for a long time and ended up getting a band a couple of years later. Obviously a small sample, but that and what what I've read, it hasn't sounded like the recovery times are very similar.

I am considering the bypass as I know I have a better chance of getting the results I need, but am freaked out about how major surgery it is vs the band. And of course the risk of extra downtime could be a huge problem for me.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

Hi,

Well I know that in my medical group that did my gastric bypass surgery they are getting away from doing the lap band surgery.

The reason is it is the least sucsessful of the three surgeries and alot of people later have to have it revised to a different surgery like to the gastric bypass due to complication or the lack of the success of it working.

With gastric bypass I was up walking around from day one and everyday after. The pain truthfully I've had worse with smaller surgeries. You can't lift anything over 10 LBS for the first month after that it's up to your doctor to decide. I know some people that went back to work after a week of surgery which is real fast. Most people go back after two weeks but your self employed so this is a different thing and I don't know what you do so for you this is could be much sooner.

I would say study both surgeries as much as you can and go to bariatric meetings to ask questions of people that have had these surgeries and how they feel about them.

I'm not an expert I'm just going by what I've heard from going to the bariatric meetings in my area, I've heard from the surgeons in the group, and read.

Good luck in your decsion of whatever surgery you do and make it your choice that you feel is right for you.

Most bariatric surgeons today are moving away from the lapband. It has many more complications (like erosion into the stomach), less satisfactory results re: weight loss, and many bands have to be subsequently removed.

You didn't say in the post what your BMI is (and i didn't click your profile yet), but between band, sleeve and RYGB, medically-speaking, the band would be the least favorable, least optimal choice when considering long term goals, complication rate, need to re-do/re-operate, weight loss totals, IMHO.

There are exceptions, but recovery is usually not bad for most patients, even with the RYGB, as stated by Chelly above. I may add more info (and links from an Obesity conference later).

Consider all options; get a second opinion. You didn't mention the sleeve; is that not on the table...?

i had the lap band and plication and hernia repair and took a total of 8 days off work (i work at a desk job)...i was up and moving around same day of surgery..was really sore about 3 days (similar to when i had my gall bladder out)..just go slow/take it easy..

Here's a link to a lecture at a recent Obesity Week conference. This presenter addressed why the lapband--LAGB/GB--is not a preferred option at this point. http://asmbs.planion.com/EvalCenter/ASMBS/images/106075_6_106075_6_LAGB_is_not_an_option.pdf

The opposite lecture--why LAGB is still an option--had 57 slides. Those slides are very technical, so, instead of that link, I'll start a new topic and provide those points, as given by the current head of the surgical society (though many felt he had so many slides to try to really argue his position in favor of the band at this point).

Good luck. Get info, second opinions, and pray, trusting that you will make the right decision for you. In any case, look forward to a new, healthier, thinner you.

Edited by Dr-Patient

I had the lapband procedure done in May 2013 and love the decision I made. I wouldn't change a thing. I had the procedure done on a Thursday and was back to work on the following Wednesday. I don't have a physcial position though so that could be different for you. The lapband is proven to be the safest WLS there is, sure there are chances of complications just like with any WLS surgery but the great thing about the band is that it's reversable. The band has proven to be successful for several banders on this site and the weight loss results rank right up there with the sleeve and the by-pass.

I wish you all the best in finding the right WLS for you and much success!!

Edited by enjoythetime

Thanks for all the great comments!

I should add that when I say I need to get back to work ASAP, the bulk of that is sitting in front of a computer in my own place. So generally speaking I can getaway without much moving around and can work as long as my head is clear and I can sit at my computer for a while. Not long after that there would be some visits to remote sites that include stairs.

I have been considering this for quite some time, heck I joined this board in 2007! I have been to a number of meetings, talked to a number of docs and patients and I've read everything I could find online. Basically what I've come away with is that people who have the band, love it unless they have problems. And people who do a bypass or sleeve love it unless they have problems.

Online I see a lot of people who have a bypass or sleeve saying that doctors are moving away from banding. At least in my area, that doesn't seem to be the case. There are docs that prefer one thing over another, but it still looks to me like banding is a growing in popularity and use among doctors and patients. Again, at least near me.

In this thread I'm really not looking at which is better than the other long term and I'd just assume not get into one surgery vs another. I'm working that out separately. As part of that decision making process I really need to understand what is normal as far as recovery.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughtful input.

I also have the band and have an office job banging away on the keyboard. I took a week off but could've been working by day 3 from home. It is really about how well you tolerate discomfort and your energy level maybe lacking.

Research all the options back to front and then decide which is the best option. You will find plenty of anti people on this site whether it be anti band, sleeve or bypass.

I keep reading repeatedly on this site that band is not a good option for high BMI folks. That is rubbish...my BMI was 79.

I had the band on Friday and went back to work on Monday. I had hiatel hernia repaired as well as plication. So, it's very doable. Love how you ask a question about one tiny thing and get comments about which decision to make. Anyway, if you're not in a run you arse off job, you should do fine with a weekend recovery if you do the band. I can't vouch for the other surgeries. PS.....I love my band too.

Your concern regarding recovery time relative to the nature of your work and 24/7 on call status is certainly understandable. Admirable even. But perhaps it would be useful to examine what role that specific concern should play in a decision as important as bariatric surgery (or for that matter any surgery). You obviously have committed to achieving the many and profound benefits that surgery promises. You are evaluating your options with an eye on relative risks vs. relative benefits. You have the medical opinion of one doctor. And certainly have the option to seek other medical opinions for comparison.

What if? What if you consult with three doctors and all three offer the same recommendation for surgery X? And all three support their recommendation in terms of risks versus potential benefits, minor vs. serious complication rates, success rates of short and long term weight loss, resolution or improvement or avoidance of comorbidities, improved quality of life, the list goes on and on. And what if the recommended surgery potentially has the longest recovery time? Would the recovery time be the deciding factor in your decision?

If your answer is yes, then you have at least somewhat simplified the decision process. If your answer is no, then you have consciously made the decision that one or more of the other considerations associated with surgery take precedence over recovery time. Either way, you have gained valuable insight.

You're not ready until you're convinced. And you're not convinced until you have identified and accepted the risks - surgical, business and otherwise - associated with this very personal decision.

Whatever decision you make, you're gonna love the new you!

Edited by DLCoggin

Good points for sure. I have actually talked to different docs, but this is the first time I've been serious about it as I didn't have decent insurance before. My current doctor is one of only a couple in the area that my insurance will cover. The previous doctors were all about the band, we talked about other options but when I talked about recovery time issue they basically told me the band was the way to go.

My reality is that if the recovery time appears too long, I may not end up doing anything as I just can't afford to take the risk. If I have to choose between surgery and keeping my house, the house is going to win. I know that's a very short term way to be looking at this, but that's the way it is right now for me.

I had the gastric sleeve and only took 4 days off from work. I'm feeling great and have lost 30 pounds in 3 weeks. I know you are considering the by-pass and the band but don't forget about the gastric sleeve. It's awesome.

Hi kahuna! Im guessing ur from hawaii? If so, who is ur surgeon? I had rny done at castle six months ago. I originally wanted the lapband because rny seemed too drastic. Finally decided on rny and was off work for 10 days. Could have easily gone back in a week or less. Good luck!