Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating the consultation scale...

Reduce your height when they measure your height. Bend a little. 1 or 2 inches effects your bmi. Don't try to gain weight. It is counter productive. :)

Oh yeah! Definitely slouch when they measure you! I apparently am an inch shorter than i used to be in younger years; i guess age and being obese so long compressed me lol. I was bugged at first to find that out. But it helped raise my bmi :)

Ive heard of people sewing weights into their clothes. I needed to gain 8 lbs...i knew it was worth it to have surgery before i got too unhealthhy, which i would have in the long run. I was ready to get things going....i didnt tell anyone i was purposely gaining. Ended up gaining 20 :/

BUT now im down 106....definitely worth it!

It's so weird now that I'm purposely trying to gain I can't gain I keep going maybe a lb up then right back down again smh

Yeah the nurse just weighed me.. asked my height. Then I talked with the doctor about my options and any questions I had. Then I had to take a breath test

Ive heard of people sewing weights into their clothes. I needed to gain 8 lbs...i knew it was worth it to have surgery before i got too unhealthhy, which i would have in the long run. I was ready to get things going....i didnt tell anyone i was purposely gaining. Ended up gaining 20 :/

BUT now im down 106....definitely worth it!

I go for my first appt on March 24. I am boarderline at 40 and deathly afraid I will drop below it so I confess I have been eating everything to gain a couple of pounds. My paperwork the office sent me said they weigh without shoes or coats. Once I get that first weigh in, I'll start back on Water and eating better.

Edited by kitten22996

I go for my first appt on March 24. I am boarderline at 40 and deathly afraid I will drop below it so I confess I have been eating everything to gain a couple of pounds. My paperwork the office sent me said they weigh without shoes or coats. Once I get that first weigh in, I'll start back on Water and eating better.

We are both in the same boat, that borderline bmi is so tricky. I to have been eating to gain so hope it makes a difference.

My surgeon's office checks for ankle weights. This sounds so bad but I am happy I don't have to worry about being borderline. The only time I am happy that I am overweight.

My surgeon's office checks for ankle weights. This sounds so bad but I am happy I don't have to worry about being borderline. The only time I am happy that I am overweight.

Same. I'm glad I didn't have to cheat my way into this.

Is the insurance Co basing approval on the first initial weigh in? I am at a borderline 40 Bmi so if I lose in the 6 months I am not approved in the end?

I think most insurances require 35 bmi. You probably should contact yours and see what are their requirements.

I was approved for surgery with only a BMI of 35 because I have PCOS. Do you have any comorbidities? Diabetes? sleep apnea? etc. If so, you can qualify with a BMI under 40. Otherwise, if you are an otherwise "healthy" chunky person, 40 is the major number!

Is the insurance Co basing approval on the first initial weigh in? I am at a borderline 40 Bmi so if I lose in the 6 months I am not approved in the end?

The first weigh in is the one that counts towards getting approved, because you are often expected to lose some before surgery (not always, but it is common). There may be insurances that consider a second weigh in after that to look at your BMI, but I have not heard of any. If someone knows of any, pipe up....

Regarding the BMI required, every insurance is different. However, some common guidelines are:

• BMI 40 and above
  • BMI above 35 with comorbidities (high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes type II, etc.)

Not that it doesn't exist, but I haven't heard of an insurance that approves BMI below 35 yet. Anyone else know of any?

The first weigh in is the one that counts towards getting approved, because you are often expected to lose some before surgery (not always, but it is common). There may be insurances that consider a second weigh in after that to look at your BMI, but I have not heard of any. If someone knows of any, pipe up....

I was required to keep my weight at 35 bmi and never to dip below and also to not gain.

During the three months I did go up two pounds but then lost the two to end back to my original weight (exactly 35 bmi) by the end of the diet period. I am currently awaiting insurance approval from Cigna.

Edited by woo woo

was required to keep my weight at 35 bmi and never to dip below and also to not gain.

During the three months I did go up two pounds but then lost the two to end back to my original weight (exactly 35 bmi) by the end of the diet period. I am currently awaiting insurance approval from Cigna.

That is just so weird. The insurance companies are so absurd when it comes to WLS. I don't know how you managed to keep exactly the same BMI, good for you. They put you on a diet then say you can't lose anything. :P

I have to call to schedule my sleep study so I will ask then if at any time during the 6 months I drop below 40 Bmi am I In danger of not being approved. Not major weight loss. Just tend to fluctuate 5-7lbs

I saw my NUT last week and was advised to lose no more weight until I'm approved for conversion from band to VSG. My BMI is right at 35 and I have sleep apnea. Since my band has been too tight I can only eat very few things and am losing weight on the "starvation" plan. Today I saw the Dr. to have Fluid removed and discuss the surgery. For my weigh-in I wore cowboy boots, heavy jeans, t-shirt with layered shirt on top and a leather coat with a roll of quarters in the pocket. Mind you I live in southern California and people are wearing shorts and t-shirts today. My numbers were in range this time. Yup, bariatrics and insurance are a crazy duo.