Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain Relief - Need some advice.

Hello!

Well I finally got banded yesterday. I have just been released from hospital today.

Too be honest, I am hurting pretty bad. I know it will pass over the next few days, but for the moment, it's pretty intense.

The Dr has given me 1000g of Paracetamol to take every 5 hours. I was just wondering if there are any other pain killers I can safely take alongside the Paracetamol to give it a boost?

Dave

I took liquid tylenol with the pain meds. The day after I was thinking, "What have I gotten myself into???" Sitting on a couch is awful, because you have to use your stomach muscles to get up. A straight chair or flat in bed with some pillows behind you is much better. Make sure you drink your Water so you don't get dehydrated.

I promise it will pass in a day or two - it takes a little patience. By Monday you'll be feeling at least 80% of your normal self :P

Hi Dave,

I took soluble paracetamol and i am pretty sure you can take ibuprofen at the same time, phone your local chemist to make sure though, better safe than sorry.

Hope you feel better soon.

Donna.

Ibuprofen is an NSAID and can cause the stomach lining to erode so please call your doctor before taking any. Tylenol is a brand name in the US for Acetaminophen. I took that after my surgery but only needed it about a week and then was able to tolerate any pain.

Dave, it's good to hear from you. I'm one day post-op myself and the pain is nigh-unbearable.

I'm not sure if I'm just being a big baby or what, but I'm in so much pain I'm nauseaous! LOL.

I would rate it at a steady throbbing 8 with getting up-down at a 9.

I am incapable of rising from my bed without assistance. I cannot bend my stomach at all- it's too swollen.

It this continues for more than 48 more hours, I'll have to go back to the hospital for help... But it does make me fell better knowing I'm not alone...

Let's keep our chins up, hopefully we'll recover.

The pain is really a surprise, after all, mostly I've read gas pain complaints...

Update!

Well, I'm glad to say that the pain is gradually subsiding. I mean, compared to last night when I could hardly move and even lying flat on my back was uncomfortable, I am already moving about and the pain is getting better by the hour.

I have just stuck with the Paracetamol, taking 1000g every 5 hours. The first 3 hours are ok, however, I do 'clock watch' the last two hours waiting till my next dose.

It's funny, I did expect to be in paion after the op, but I could never have imagined just how uncomfortable I was.

I'm planning to try and get out tomorrow and try some gentle walking.

Dave x

PS Chin up Cascadian, it will get better soon!

Y'all all are very fortunate :welldoneclap: All I had for my pain was Liquid Tyleno LOL...see I can laugh about it now, but three weeks ago??? Ouchie!

My pain is very slightly fading as well...

I'm down to a 5-6 when resting, 7-8 when getting up or down.

Still hitting the Roxicet every couple of hours, though.

This too shall pass, I suppose. This site is great for support and is really a mental relief to visit and read about others' similar problems. Thanks guys and keep it up!

HI All,

I feel even better today. I can hardly believe that this time yesterday I was trying to increase my pain relief and now I am taking less than permitted.

I had 10 hours sleep last night and feel that my body is healing itself quickly!

How is TheCascadian doing today? I hope you are feeling better.

Dave

Congratulations to the new bandsters! The pain is very individual, and comes and leaves on its own time. Many people don't need any pain relief, and just as many take a week to even be able to walk around comfortably. Sounds like you're right in the middle!!

Take it very easy. It's very common for people to overdo it on the first or second day they feel better, just because they feel SO much better they want to run around and do jumping jacks. Resist the urge!! :)

Holy cow guys, I had nothing like that. SItting still I felt nothing, standing/sitting/couching/etc. hurt but maybe like a 4. Let's put it this way - it didn't hurt enough to keep me from doing it. 2 days post-op I went to Target and walked around because I was tired of just sitting there, and 3 days post-op DH and I went out of town to visit family.

I used Lortab for the first 2 or 3 days, then went to liuid Tylenol. I probably didn't need the pain relivers at all, but my motto was, "I'd rather not need it, but have it working then need it and have to wait for it to kick in."

Don't tell me women really do have the better pain tolerance... :heh: :heh:

Don't tell me women really do have the better pain tolerance... :heh: :heh:

Heh. Is there any question? After giving birth twice, banding surgery was a walk in the park. I didn't use any pain relief after I got home. Of course, I needed to drive the next day so I didn't want to risk being fuzzy-headed. But still, I survived.

Okay, I've survived and I no longer feel like roadkill.

I woke up today and was able to rise from my bed without assistance. Took a shower, felt great and ended up going for a short shopping trip for needed supplies.

I'm still sore in the incisions and can't bend very well, but my pain has dropped to a 2-3 while resting and 3-4 when bending/stretching my incisions.

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow, I'll probably feel even better! LOL.