Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guy's any regrets?

Best decision I ever made.

Guy's do any of you regret your decision to get the sleeve. I'm scheduled to get surgery on Friday and having second thoughts.

Not even a little.

I had the lo band and it was killing me (literally)

I have lost 31lbs in about a 6 weeks.

The first week is a bit uncomfortable, bowels are out of wack.

Now it's just how life is, I eat less. I can't eat everything, some I don't like anymore.

It's normal anxiety.

You will be happy, healthier and live longer !

I'm five weeks out, feeling great, and down three pant sizes already. About 35 pounds down from when I began the journey. No regrets, but I have had to come to terms with some lifestyle changes. I am really realizing how much going out to eat (with the partner, friends, family, coworkers, business contacts) was part of my routine. Going to restaurants just isn't fun anymore. Either nothing looks appetizing to me, or I know I'm going to eat very little of whatever I order. They tell you to order the appetizer portions, or something off the kids' or seniors' menu, but that's not practical when you're eating with people you don't want to tell your business to. So, I find myself deflecting lunch appointments and suggesting coffee more often. Also, when I look around at other people eating larger quantities, it makes me lose my appetite even more.

I wouldn't call this a regret exactly... but I will say that it's requiring some thinking, and maybe a little bit of mourning. I don't miss eating larger portions. I guess I just don't find restaurants to be enjoyable as they used to be. I loved the smells, the courses, the wine. Now, I'm ordering Soup and an entree I probably won't eat. So, that's taking some getting used to.

Wouldn't change a thing, but that's been the toughest adjustment for me. Psychologically, I think I was addicted to the dining out experience.

TJS, I think that is very likely going to change for you.

I'm 9 weeks post-op. Last week I had a long biz trip, with 2 restaurant client dinners and 2 group meals with 30 people at a retreat.

Had some very good food -- tried some new foods post-op -- and enjoyed almost all of it.

Also, no one noticed or commented on how much I was / wasn't eating. Pretty cool. :)

EDIT: Apologies! Just realized this is the Guys' Room. Really sorry.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Glad to hear you're feeling great. Don't worry about what you feel like about eating out and nothing looking appetizing. You're 5 week out for cryin out loud. You're new small tummy is just in it's infancy. When you're out 9 months or so You'll find you can each much more in terms of variety and mildly more than you can now in terms of amount. food will taste good again. What you feel like at 5 weeks is NOT what you're going to feel like when you're all healed up inside. What you feel like at 5 weeks is NOT the way it's going to be the rest of your life, it's just part of the journey you're on. Do what your medical team tells you to do and when you get more healed up every thing will be easier and better. Good luck on your journey.

I'm five weeks out, feeling great, and down three pant sizes already. About 35 pounds down from when I began the journey. No regrets, but I have had to come to terms with some lifestyle changes. I am really realizing how much going out to eat (with the partner, friends, family, coworkers, business contacts) was part of my routine. Going to restaurants just isn't fun anymore. Either nothing looks appetizing to me, or I know I'm going to eat very little of whatever I order. They tell you to order the appetizer portions, or something off the kids' or seniors' menu, but that's not practical when you're eating with people you don't want to tell your business to. So, I find myself deflecting lunch appointments and suggesting coffee more often. Also, when I look around at other people eating larger quantities, it makes me lose my appetite even more.

I wouldn't call this a regret exactly... but I will say that it's requiring some thinking, and maybe a little bit of mourning. I don't miss eating larger portions. I guess I just don't find restaurants to be enjoyable as they used to be. I loved the smells, the courses, the wine. Now, I'm ordering Soup and an entree I probably won't eat. So, that's taking some getting used to.

Wouldn't change a thing, but that's been the toughest adjustment for me. Psychologically, I think I was addicted to the dining out experience.

I wish I hadn't waited those extra two years after my doctor first suggested it.

I remember feeling the same way but this does get better in two ways.

First, you get used to either ordering small or eating just a small portion of a regular meal. That was just completely foreign to me at first. I felt like a jerk going to some restaurant and ordering Soup or some small appetizer. But honestly that's just all in the head. Regular non-VSG people do that all the time and no one blinks. I also got used to ordering a regular meal and just picking at it for a while, then laying my silverware across the plate so the waiter takes it away. That move works well for business meals.

The second way this goes away is that your capacity does increase. I'm 11 months out and can eat way more than I could at five weeks.

Anyhow, just wanted you to know that what you're going through is totally normal and things will definitely improve.

Good luck.

As far as having meals out, I'm pretty much used to it by now...I eat sensibly, and now when ordering Entrees, I automatically know I'm bringing at least half of it home...I separate what I know I'll eat, and save the rest to be bagged up. At first it was strange since the old me would finish and look for seconds and dessert, but now it's not a big deal at all. Going out for meals has become more of a social event than an eating event! I think the only thing that's still a little bit tougher for me is not being able to eat and drink at the same time...even after eight months, it still is kinda weird, but I do it!

Anything else you guys are still trying to get used to???

The hardest part about eating out for a "dinner" is deciding if you're going to have a cocktail. If so, hope they bring it at least 15 before your appetizer arrives or you'll be staring at your food until the clock runs out. On the other hand it's handy because while you're waiting to begin eating others get a head start and by the time you're finishing so are they. appetizers were alway the fun part for me and I usually prefer that over packing home half a meal. Left overs become tedious after surgery with a regular portion providing you with 2-3 more servings. You save money though!

Thanks for all the encouragement. Tomorrow's the big day. After losing 16 pounds on the pre-opp diet I was really second guessing this decision. But I know the 16 pounds would be back on before New Year's without this. Many of the challenges I think I will face have been addressed in this topic and it seems manageable.

I'm glad that I'm doing this before major health problems happen and I "have to do it."

Can't wait to start dating again in a few months and do some before and after comparisons of the women who respond on Match.com. From what I understand, as you get closer to a healthier size, your confidence as well as energy improves...and women are highly attracted to confidence (not cockiness). This is one of my top eight reasons for doing this surgery.

The top reason is still health. I see little yellow flags popping up, if I stay at this weight I'll either have heart troubles, knee problems or diabetes. So I am mentally prepared for a crappy few weeks, encouraged by some solid weight loss followed by learning a new normal.

Looking forward to not being the fat sweaty guy.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with wanting to feel hotter and get more attention. I totally understand that one! You're being polite by putting it only in "the top eight." Top three for me! Haha. But, I will say that my body is advancing a bit faster than my sexual self confidence. I'm down 40, wearing pants three sizes smaller already, but still feel like a "fat guy" when the clothes are off. Haven't debuted the new and improved body for an audience yet. I'm told that just takes a while for the emotional self confidence to assert itself. Today I spent 45 minutes running on the treadmill (love this app called "Get Running" by the way) and saw my side profile in a mirror. Didn't hate it for the first time in 20 years. It's a process. Good luck with your surgery OKCPirate. Remember that the first couple of weeks are a bit sucky, but you'll get past it.

Thanks for all the encouragement. Tomorrow's the big day. After losing 16 pounds on the pre-opp diet I was really second guessing this decision. But I know the 16 pounds would be back on before New Year's without this. Many of the challenges I think I will face have been addressed in this topic and it seems manageable.

I'm glad that I'm doing this before major health problems happen and I "have to do it."

Can't wait to start dating again in a few months and do some before and after comparisons of the women who respond on Match.com. From what I understand, as you get closer to a healthier size, your confidence as well as energy improves...and women are highly attracted to confidence (not cockiness). This is one of my top eight reasons for doing this surgery.

The top reason is still health. I see little yellow flags popping up, if I stay at this weight I'll either have heart troubles, knee problems or diabetes. So I am mentally prepared for a crappy few weeks, encouraged by some solid weight loss followed by learning a new normal.

Looking forward to not being the fat sweaty guy.

@OKCPirate good luck today!!!!

• ColoradoTJS I appreciate the encouragement. This was far easier than I expected. I prepared my body for two months for this by exercising and two weeks of cutting out carbs and stopped drinking for last two weeks except for a couple of glasses of wine. It paid off, the doctor was able to get the surgery done in 30 minutes, liver was small and healthy, I was off and walking within 90 minutes of surgery and I only took two pain pills after they took the drain tube out on day two. I had the surgery Tuesday, Thursday I'm at the mall across from the hospital like there is no problem at all. Back home today, enjoying my broth, and looking forward to six weeks from now when I can slowly start working out again. Best find was zero carb Isopure - 40 grams clear Protein.< /span>

No regrets. I have not eaten since Monday and I'm not hungry. Making sure I sip slowly, but consistently to keep hydrated. Life is easier when you have a plan. It's harder when you are stupid ;-)