Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banding tmrw - what's your top 10 tips to get through the day?

This board has been great to read and help me make my decision of banding over sleeve. Getting banded tmrw. Remember seeing some comments about heating pads and sleeping in a chair. Definitely have the gas x strips and ice chips down, but just want to make sure I don't forget anything that veterans like yourselves can pass on knowledge about. Thanks again to everyone who works so hard to make this board helpful!

1. Stay off the scale

2. Get up and move around at least once an hour

3. Drink as much as you can in small quantities

4. You are going to be hungry at some point it is normal but stick with the plan your doctor gave you even if you want to eat a house.

5. Remove any food from your house bad food that will cause you to want to eat it.

6. You have to be patient until you get enough fills to keep you from being hungry but remember it does not always keep everyone from hunger

7. When you are feeling discouraged look at some of the veteran's before and after pictures and know it works if you work with it.

8. Any medical issues call your doctor and do not post it here. Anything that has to do with pain, nausea, something not feeling right call your doctor he is getting paid to tell you what is normal or not.

9. If you want to help the gas move along you have to walk

10. If you come out of surgery not knowing what you are supposed to eat then you need to call your doctors office and make sure that every step of your plan is readily available to you from your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own ways. What I could eat post op may not be what you can eat. Do not be afraid to call your surgeon.

#1....follow your doctor's orders to the letter and if you have questions, call the doctor's office and ask.

After that, the things I found helpful were as follows:

Gas X strips

Heating pad for the shoulder/back...not the incision sites

Good books

Good movies

sugar-free popsicles (if your doc allows them)

A pillow to hold against your incision sites if you need to sneeze or cough...trust me...it helps. I also had to fend off a cat that loves to sit on my belly when I'm stretched out in my recliner...so the pillow stayed there to remind her it was off limits. We are back to our routine now.

Patience...it's a slow process, but so worth it!

Get up and move as often as possible and move to get that gas out. You will start feeling better when the gas is gone.

You may not have an appetite the first week or so. You still need to eat (using your doctors guidelines) to help the healing process and to get your strength back. I wasn't eating at first and when I made myself eat I felt better.

Stay hydrated.

And again WALK

Congratulations -- big day is finally here! Here are my 10 tips for your day:

1) Know that you are in good hands.

2) This is a good time for that marvelous sense of humor.

3) As soon as you wake up, starting thinking about getting up and walking around. The nurses will be happy to help you get started.

4) Take every opportunity to go up and down the hallway -- hopefully you have a robe for this purpose so no one needs to see your behind. If you have an IV pole, the robe drapes around that shoulder and you pull it along with you. Back to #2, the sense of humor.

5) Thank yourself for this amazing gift of a healthy future and having the strength and focus to do everything it has taken to get to this place.

6) If you experience discomfort, breathe into it and know it's not as bad as it could be. I found it helpful to compare to going to the dentist, for example. I have only had one root canal in my life and hardly any cavities, no braces, etc., but I'd rather get another lapband than go to the dentist.

7) Drink liquids as you can. Some people are more swollen and this is not easy and for others it's possible to just drink right down. Good way to flush out the anesthesia, etc. So drink up when you can.

8) Think through the steps involved in getting into the car or down on to the couch before you make the move. This will help you figure out ways to do it with less pain. Go slow, remember about rolling if needed. Back to #2, humor.

9) Enjoy all the Popsicles you want -- you won't be having much in the way of calories so it doesn't really matter.

10) Take it easy and recover fully even if you start getting bored.

Tonight...before you go in tomorrow, take a moment to write down all the reasons why you decided to opt for WLS. Write down how you are feeling right now, physically and mentally, the good and the bad, but concentrate on what has led you to this decision...health obstacles, social constraints, professional challenges, vanity...anything and everything you can think of.

Keep this document. Pull it out from time to time as you move down the scale, especially when the honeymoon period of the surgery wanes and you go through periods of weight plateaus or less-motivation.

This document will be a precious piece for you to refer back to as you Celebrate your bandiversaries and your transformation.

Wishing you the best for a smooth and uneventful banding and recovery.

Pain killers!!!!!! A electric blanket, comforter, lazy-boy recliner, and the TV remote....and more pain killers....

Oh, and some broth and endless supply of Water....

I don't remembering moving for almost 24hours.....a well deserved rest!

sleep, sleep, and sleep some more. Know that the pain hurts, but it WILL go away. Every day gets better. Be MINDFUL when eating, EVERY time.