Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 yr old getting sleeve. Need recommendations in Mexico

I understand your concern. I also have a child with a weight issue and I myself was heavy since kindergarten. I just wanted to let you know, that since my surgery I am always hungry. It takes all the will power I have to stick to eating 4 oz per meal and not snacking in between. I was just sleeved Jan. 8 2014. Maybe over time it will change, but right now that is one of the issues I am dealing with having my sleeve. So, if your daughter is hungry now, she still might have to deal with being hungry later. Everyone's body is different with the sleeve. I wish you and her the best.

Thank you for all of your responses. The first thing I need to say is that I would never consider surgery unless I had exhausted all other avenues for weight loss including medical, emotional, physical, psychological. We have reached a point where I feel like this is our last and only option. Some may say I'm unnecessarily risking the life of my daughter, but I feel like if we don't do the surgery I'm risking her life as well. She has just developed diabetes, she went from being the happiest little girl to a girl who is depressed and cries every day because of her weight. She has been bullied, tormented, and teased every school day since she was 7 years old. Of all 5 of my children she has been the one who ate veggies and fruits, she was also my most active yet she has continued to gain about 2 pds a month for the last 6 years. We have had her thyroid checked, multiple labs and nothing explains what is going on. The only thing that explains it is that she says she's hungry all the time 24/7. So even though she knows what to eat, what not to eat etc, it doesn't help if you are always hungry. You just end up being cranky and angry at having to limit portion sizes when your body is telling you your hungry. For all of you who have had surgery or are considering it, imagine how hard it is for you now as an adult, can you even imagine the torment of being obese as a teenager? It's hell. Kids are cruel and it's not right that she should have to endure comments day after day. I got the sleeve 8 mths ago, it has changed my life. She sees this, she has seen what it has done for me including the fact that I am happy and healthy now. I was hungry all the time, and now I'm not, I have to remind myself to eat. All I want as her mother is for her to be happy. And if she continues down the path she's on, I may not have her for much longer. She is in a place where she doesn't even leave the house. She has become a different person .If things don't change I can see not only physical dangers in her future but emotional and psychological damage as well. I want her to live a life where she can make friends based on her personality, not on her physical appearance, where she can focus on the normal teenage stuff and not about her diet. She just turned 13 and is 200 pds.

As far as Mexico goes I'm still uncertian. The reason I posted this was because I was curious how many people would actually recommend a doctor from Mexico. It seems interesting to me that so many people will"risk" their own lives going there but not willing to recommend one for a 13 year old. Why is it different for an adult vs. a child? If you couldn't lose the weight as an adult what gives you the right to judge a teen who can't do it? It's interesting how hypocritical some people have been. I have in no way jumped to this decision. We have been praying and researching it for months. We've exhausted everything we have to help her and nothing has worked. Of course I would do everything in my power to see a U.S. Doctor but when you have 5 kids and make $30K a year it's quiet impossible to fork out 20K for the surgery. 8K will not be easy as it is. She has seen me go through the surgery, she knows what it entails but if anything I think the longer you are overweight, the longer you do the yo-yo dieting the harder it is to start thinking differently. If she does this now it will be easier to develop healthy eating habits and healthy emotions in regards to food. Not only that the fact that it wont be painful for her to exercise will be huge. She loves to exercise but right now it's extremely painful and embarrassing for her.

I appreciate everyone's comments, but I would politely ask that you look at yourselves and realize how hard it has been as an adult and ask yourselves just how much harder it would be if you were a teen. I love my daughter but I want her around and I want her to be happy. If I dont do the surgery she may not be around much longer and she certianly will not be happy.

I think a 13 year old can be adult enough to understand exactly what would happen if she eats something she's not supposed to. Just like the adults that know exactly what will happen. I was sleeved in NY. My bmi was high enough for insurance to pay. My partner was under the bmi requirement so we looked into the Mexico option. Dr. Fernando Garcia was fantastic. We didn't have one single complaint. The hotel, the hospital, the transportation- all were great. We are both nurses and didn't go into any of it lightly. Even my surgeon supported her and said there is absolutely nothing wrong with Medical Tourism. In all the research we did we never read a bad comment about Dr. Garcia. His website is Tijuana Bariatrics. Good luck with your decision.

Good luck, I wish my parents would have helped me like that. I can remember being overweight at 14 and desperately trying to loose weight, asked my parents for help they said it's just puppy fat don't be silly. Both of my parents were and still are Obese in fact after my father died 6 years ago it was listed a contributing cause of death on his death certificate. Now here I am 36 years later after gaining and loosing over 140 pounds 4 times finally getting something done.

I have 3 kids all of whom are not overweight which I am thankful for, but would do it for them in a heartbeat.

Edited by MrMick

I was an overweight child and I understand your/her worries. I personally used Dr. Lopez this month in Tijuana Mexico total cost $5200. My experience was great although the recovery has been a little challenging. I to am a mother and would do anything for my daughters so I can understand your reasoning. The sleeve has a longer recovery time than the band but in the long run is safer than the Lap Band. I assume you have done your research and now are just trying to find a doctor for her. www.specializedbariatric.com this I were you will find Dr. Lopez or his wife.

Let me preface by saying we have done everything we can to help our daughter. Dr.'s, nutritionists, personal trainers etc, since she was 8. Nothing has worked. We think she's beautiful the way she is! This is something she has wanted and been begging us for! She wants to enjoy her teenage years, make friends and enjoy life. She doesn't feel like her physical appearance reflects who she is in the inside and feels like it holds her back. She is very depressed and begging us for surgery. We cannot afford a US doctor. I need to know who you would go to in Mexico if this was your 13 year old. This would be for sleeve.Please I don't need mean or critical comments. Thank you

The Dr I see has done pediatric laparoscopic bariatric surgery. He performed the first laparoscopic gastric bypass in the world. He is located in la jolla California and his name is dr Alan wittgrove

I respectfully disagree with some of the comments left by certain members on this thread regarding Mexican doctors. People with no knowledge of a subject take it upon themselves to paint A scathing picture about an entire group of people without any first-hand experience to refer to. I got my sleeve in Mexico. I choose Dr. Elias Ortiz. My experience was excellent. The staff was professional, competent, the facility was clean, I was treated very well. It was not an easy decision for me, nor did I'm go int this blindly. I am a nurse and I made it my personal mission to fully educate myself and ask questions about what to expect. I paid $4400 for my procedure and a plane ticket for $300. I understand the difficulties in raising $20-25,000 for a US surgeon... And finding one willing operate on a child that age. Honestly, it is a high-risk procedure. And for child that age the risk is exponentially greater. This is not a judgment. This is a fact. She's at the beginning of adolescence. If this is not done correctly, her development can be severely impacted. My recommendation is to find a surgeon who provides comprehensive postop care so she can be carefully monitored. Most in Mexico don't, but hopefully you can find one who does

Good luck to you and your sweet daughter. When you find your surgeon, I strongly encourage you to visit with a doctor here in the states that will be willing to take her after-care on - that is so important especially in the first few months.

Ok here the thing! I have been overweight my whole life!!! Once you gain fat cells you never lose them they shrink but you never lose them they are there waiting in the wings to be inflated again. My first diet was when I was 8 and it became a way of life. I have no doubt your daughter may need this surgery a 13yr old did instead a 20yr old me was guzzeling diet pills curbing my appetite till they took it off the market and I was screwed!!!

I am however worried about Mexico!! Your daughter will need to be monitored after and if problems do arise nobody will touch someone else's work esp. If they are worried about malpractice. Work with her dr's go through the right channels do this the right way!!! DO NOT DO THE BAND too many scary stories of it not working complications daily throwing up. Thus is not what she needs!

Good luck to you and your daughter!!! And good for you for being such a pro active mom!!!

The one and only Dr. Alvarez!!! He did a 12 year old who is doing great. I get sleeved this weekend in a Piedras Negras, Mexico

On one of Dr. Alvarez videos have him discussing his mothets WLS that he did. I can't imagine working on your own mother.

Also I would like to say that my Fiancé and I are both getting sleeved this weekend in piedras by Dr. Alvarez, we are also both highly trained ICU nurses with several years experience. I liked the comment asksarah made earlier about some of the surgeons here in the states are some I wouldn't let operate on my dog. His costs for a sleeve are relatively the same as the states and maybe a little higher....$8600 or so..... But he also

Sports state of the art equipment like his Da Vinci Surgical System Robot. Btw- here is the link of him with the 12 year old.

Edited by Llunker

Also I would like to say that my Fiancé and I are both getting sleeved this weekend in piedras by Dr. Alvarez, we are also both highly trained ICU nurses with several years experience. I liked the comment asksarah made earlier about some of the surgeons here in the states are some I wouldn't let operate on my dog. His costs for a sleeve are relatively the same as the states and maybe a little higher....$8600 or so..... But he also

Sports state of the art equipment like his Da Vinci Surgical System Robot. Btw- here is the link of him with the 12 year old.

Thank u for adding the link. Also as a nurse i agree that there are some doctors in the states that i would not let touch me either. As of mother of 5 children if my child needed this surgery i would do it. Better then putting all those drugs in your system that end up hurting your heart, liver and kidneys. Good lucky to you and your daughter though this process.

I personally would never take my daughter across the border for WLS at 13...

I guess you don't know how to answer someone's question on a forum. It's her daughter and her decision. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but when someone starts a forum they shouldn't feel I welcomed by people such as yourself. She's doing what SHE FEELS IS BEST FOR HER DAUGHTER. Her question wasn't 'would you have weight loss surgery for your daughter?'

Let me preface by saying we have done everything we can to help our daughter. Dr.'s, nutritionists, personal trainers etc, since she was 8. Nothing has worked. We think she's beautiful the way she is! This is something she has wanted and been begging us for! She wants to enjoy her teenage years, make friends and enjoy life. She doesn't feel like her physical appearance reflects who she is in the inside and feels like it holds her back. She is very depressed and begging us for surgery. We cannot afford a US doctor. I need to know who you would go to in Mexico if this was your 13 year old. This would be for sleeve.Please I don't need mean or critical comments. Thank you

Wishing you and your daughter the best of luck in finding a doctor and with results. I was sleeved in NY so I don't have much thoughts of Mexico but hear A LOT about Dr.Alverez. Keep you chin up and ignore all the critical comments and the people that don't know how to respectfully answer your question. Best of luck to you!

My issue isn't about The Dr isn't about the child's age. I commend the mother for being proactive for her daughter. I wish my mother had done it for me when I was younger. I am worried about after care and this may not be an issue maybe they plan on making frequent trips back to the dr it's just something to think about when traveling for surgery. If something were to arise your surgeon who is responsible for you is not easy to get to.