Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay. So, I am a new member... My banding will be on March 4th (yay!!)... Anyways, I have been reading the forums and taking notes, however I have a question about the post-op diet.

My doctor wants us to do 2 week pre-op diet, which I understand, but afterwards wants us to strive for 4 weeks of liquid dieting if we can handle it.. We were told to make it 2 weeks at least, and then, if we couldn't handle it, to slowly start introducing mushy foods.

I fully intend on making it the 4 weeks, because that's what my personal doctor wants, but I hadn't seen any other posts from people saying that they also went 4 weeks... and I was just looking for someone who could tell me what the difference is between going 2 weeks and going 4?

Thanks so much fellow band-ers. I hope your evening is going well.

I did one week clear liquid

One week any liquid

One week mushy

One week soft

Then gradually worked in other foods

The liquids are tough cause you produce so much gas after surgery... Ughhh... And you get tired of it fast. You won't be hungry though. Good luck!!

I did 4 weeks liquids, but that included Soups and stuff... Wasn't a problem, I didn't feel much like eating anyway.

We did 4 weeks liquid on the diet that my surgeon has us follow. 2 weeks clear, 2 weeks full and then start mushies. Best wishes. Karen..aka.kll724

If your doctor wants you on four weeks of liquids after surgery then listen to him. It's for a reason. Your stomach needs time to heal from the sutures that are placed. Don't stray from this do exactly like he says to do.

Since each person is an individual with their own issues, age, condition, healing time, etc.. The same doctor will prescribe different treatment for each individual. Sure, there are general guidelines, but what works for one person may have to be adjusted and modified for the next person. I'm with Cheryl on this, he knows you and is doing his best to make sure you have no problems. If the goal is four weeks, think how happy you will be if he can modify it for you, based on your individual results! Joining everyone else in sending you best wishes and welcome!

Every surgeon has their own method for recovering their patients. The purpose of the post op diet is to let your stomach heal from the trauma of the surgery and let the band settle solidly into place and get ready to rock it's job for the rest of your life. It is also a good time to learn your new methods of eating and drinking.

My surgeon has his patients do the following:

Days 1 - 3 Clear Liquids only

Days 4 - 7 Full liquids

Days 8 - 30 Mushies Mushies Mushies They were fun for about the first week and a half then I started getting really tired of them. I had my first aftercare four days before my "official" mushie phase was supposed to end and I begged my NP to let me phase into solids. She took pity on my plaintive whining and told me to go ahead, as long as I took it slow. LOL My first official "solid" meal was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! Woo-hoo!

Anywhoozle, if your surgeon says liquids and full liquids for four weeks, you do liquids and full liquids for four weeks. Follow your surgeon's orders to the letter. It's going to suck. But in the end, it's going to be worth it. :)

Edited by The Icy One

Okay. So, without sounding mean or rude (I hate how text can make that happen lol), I mentioned that I am going to adhere to the 4 weeks liquid diet. I have no intentions of straying from my doctors orders.

I really was just seeking out support and opinions of others who also had to go four weeks. Also, I was mostly curious as to why he would want it this way...

I did 4 weeks liquids, but that included Soups and stuff... Wasn't a problem, I didn't feel much like eating anyway.

How much did you end up losing during the 4 weeks?

Edited by fghtffyrdmns

We did 4 weeks liquid on the diet that my surgeon has us follow. 2 weeks clear, 2 weeks full and then start mushies. Best wishes. Karen..aka.kll724

Thanks Karen. How much did you lose during the 4 weeks? : )

Thanks Karen. How much did you lose during the 4 weeks? : )

Dang, I really don't remember the answer to that. I did not lose a lot of weight because I had previously been dieting, so my body was not totally in shock, I guess maybe 5 or 10 lbs. Best wishes,Karen

I am new here two, banded on February 20th. I am on a 2 week clear liquid, 2 week full liquid then to mushiness. Here is the reasoning my doctor gave me for the liquid diet.... Your body, intestines, gut, colon, all are full of toxins that have been stored there from years of eating, dieting, eating, dieting....you know the drill.....anyways, The liquid diet is a way to cleanse or wash away a lot of those toxins plus gives your stomach time to heal around the placement of your band. He said that the clear liquid is very important because your broths, SF Jello, Popsicles, Water, tea, etc on the clear liquid diet does not put any stress on your stomach trying to break down for digestion. I will not lie and say it is easy. It is not but what my doctor told me makes sense to me. Hope this helps answer your question.

I am new here two, banded on February 20th. I am on a 2 week clear liquid, 2 week full liquid then to mushiness. Here is the reasoning my doctor gave me for the liquid diet.... Your body, intestines, gut, colon, all are full of toxins that have been stored there from years of eating, dieting, eating, dieting....you know the drill.....anyways, The liquid diet is a way to cleanse or wash away a lot of those toxins plus gives your stomach time to heal around the placement of your band. He said that the clear liquid is very important because your broths, SF Jello, Popsicles, Water, tea, etc on the clear liquid diet does not put any stress on your stomach trying to break down for digestion. I will not lie and say it is easy. It is not but what my doctor told me makes sense to me. Hope this helps answer your question.

Thank you!! Yes! This was exactly what I was looking for. : ) Thank you!

Post op is the healing phase. That's why you are directed to be on liquids. That for me was the hardest. I spent 2 years in culinary so I was very creative with my full liquids. A magic bullet blender will become your best friend.

I'm on pre-op right now and here is 'schedule' although I know they want you (me) to take my time

2 weeks pre op - liquid diet of Slim Time - it's a Protein drink that isn't too bad

1 week post-op - liquid diet of Slim Time and or clear juice and broths

1 week of mushy

1 week of less mushy

and then on to solids

best of luck to you