Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scheduled to get banded on Friday morning, and frankly I'm a nervous wreck. My husband is a chef and cooking together and eating is such a major part of our life. I'm so afraid that we won't be able to enjoy that anymore. I understand the need to liquids in the beginning. I learned about that in the seminar, but it wasn't until pre-op today that I learned no more breakfasts, and 3-4oz meals. I need and want to lose the weight, but I scared that I won't be able to enjoy cooking and eating again. I just about freaked when the lady at the clinic who was banded told me today that she has gotten used to eating cold foods, because she couldn't eat her meals before they got cold.

Rebecca

First off, you will be able to enjoy eating, you will just be doing it in smaller portions and in a healthier manner. As far as Breakfast, each person is different on whether or not they are able to eat Breakfast. It also may change with each fill.

As far as you and your husband cooking together and that being a big part of your life, this is a wonderful opportunity. This gives you the chance to explore new, healthier reciepes together and try them out. Or, maybe experiement with some of your old favorites by substituting some of the ingredients for lower calorie/fat ones so it is healthier but still enjoyable.

Lastly, another bandster recommended this to me and I did it and it has worked wonderfully. I went on ebay and bought a hot plate for $8.00. I throw it in the microwave and then put my plate of food on top of it and it keeps my food hot for up to an hour.

thanks for the kind words. While I can't see dragging a hot plate to the resturant its a great idea for at home. I'm trying to remain optimistic about things, but I guess it is normal to be scared about it.

I understand excactly what you mean. It's a big part of our lives, cooking, going out to eat, but I really tire of this weight. Its been a week since I was banded and my husband has been really supportive of me. I'm sure your husband will be just as suportive of you and proud of you for making this change in your life. Good luck on Friday.

s

Rebecca, actually warm foods slide down easier with the band. It loosens it up. You will be fine. You will be able to enjoy all the foods with your hubby, just less of them! Congrats on being banded.

My husband's cooking is one of the joys of my life... now that I am not eating as much- the quality and flavor of the food is even more important.

Soon, you too will be a food snob. Only the best will do.

Don't worry - you will be able to eat most anything that you can now - just not in huge quantities.

On Friday, we'll be thinking good thoughts for an easy surgery and a speedy recovery!

I like the way RB put that, a food snob. You'll be able to eat lots of things, maybe a few foods won't agree, but you'll soon discover which ones, but since you'll be eating slower, you'll savor what you eat.

My kids call me microwave mama, but since my band I actually cook more, not a lot mind you, but I actually use the stove now..:)

Thanks for the well wishes, I'm feeling a bit better about it today. Still scared of course. Tomorrow I start my liquids pre-op. Hubby and I had a long talk last night, at first he wanted me to cancel the surgery, he couldn't do it, food it an integral part of his life, We are and have always been foodies, food snobs, gourmands.. call it what you like. We talked about quality of life and he agreed for health reasons I need to lose the weight, and he is very supportive and on board. He is already making and freezing homemade stocks into ice cube trays for me. I've told him to consider that every thing I eat will be an "amuse bouche" which is something he loves to prepare and plate. The things I'm struggling with today is the concept of drinking breakfast for the rest of my life. I hate those Protein drinks, as a general rule I don't eat prepared foods and additives and chemicals. I went to the store today to stock up on that kind of stuff, and I couldn't believe the chemicals in them all, not to mention they just don't taste natural. I'm hoping that in time I can use a juicer and whip up my own concoction. Though to hear the Dr.'s office talk, anything with sediment is a big no-no.

Rebecca

Get's banded on Friday. :)

I can't believe they waited until the week of your surgery to tell you what kind of diet to expect! That seems a little negligent. Did you get an actual sample diet plan for each phase post-op? As I understand it, the first 4-6 weeks are the most crucial for following the plan to the letter. Then a little trial and error is in order within the stipulated guidelines.

Anyway...like you, if I thought I'd never again be able to enjoy most of the things I like to cook and eat, I wouldn't have WLS. I chose lapband because it actually has the most flexibility regarding WHAT you can eat while assisting you in eating MUCH LESS of it :)

Best wishes for Friday. Keep us posted :P

yes I was a bit upset by that too.. but Dr. Spiegal isn't known for his love of conversing. They told me in orientation Liquids for 2 weeks, then soft foods but not the specifics. They gave me the specifics during my pre-op.

The powders might work better for you than the pre-mixed Protein shakes. At least then you have the option to mask the flavor with whatever your favorite ingredients are...

I use Six Star powder - or Carb Solutions. Both are available at Walmart.< /p>

One of my favorite recipes is a Protein Latte.

1 scoop Six Star

1/2c milk - or Half & Half to taste.

2 c brewed strong coffee (your favorite blend)

dash of cinnamon

artificial sweetener ** (or sugar are stevia if you prefer)

Blend to a smooth caffeinated goodness.

The coffee flavor is strong - and the milk makes it creamy and good.

For pre-mix shakes, I use Atkins or EAS - chocolate.

Good Luck. You can do anything for a few weeks - and after the first week or so, you get to move up to real foods in blended liquidy form.

It will be ok. We all survived, and you will too.

Hugs!

HI Txbecca!

I just wanted to wish you luck on your upcoming surgery and tell you my opinion of a few things...

Like Renee said... you will savor every bite of food. You will still get to eat, and I hate that someone told you that your food will be cold before you finish it.

Everyone is different and I do eat less, but I eat a lot better food. I do not eat cold food that should be hot... :)

As for the liquid breakfast... I don't agree with that either. Some people can eat a solid breakfast, some can't.

I have never been a breakfast person. With my current level of fill I do not get hungry until 11, so that is when I eat lunch.

Good luck with your journey!

I eat breakfast every day, and I personally am "looser" in the morning than at any other time of day :)

I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this place.. I feel so much better already. I was told no powders.. that they clog the band, but in reading I see lots of you use them.. I'm glad to hear breakfast is possible for some.. There is hope.. :)

Well, I wouldn't eat the powders by the spoonful... LOL!

But certainly the powders work just great if you mix them according to the directions and don't make them TOO thick.

:]