Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick of hearing......

PGee

I'm down 80 pounds, and wearing a size 14. At size 22/24, I heard the comments "moo"........and other hurtful things as many of us have.......and quietly I put it up with it.....shame on me.....

I heard someone at my office talk about a larger woman in an ugly tone while at a party----I gave the person a disgusted look and walked away, and this morning I heard men talk about a coworker........and it really ticks me off.....after the comment, the gentleman said "I guess I shouldn't go there"......and I told him "no you shouldn't have, that's just hateful" .......and walked away before I said something I would later regret........a few hours later our paths crossed, and he made a comment "well, you're looking thin and trim, are you losing weight?"

I shook my head and walked away.......still ticked off at what he had said about my coworker.......one of these days I'm going to blow my stack........I just don't understand where they get off making such rude comments about people. AND, these are not young kids......we're talking 60's and 70 year olds......

I wasn't always a large person.....I used to be a size 6 until I hit 30.....and my friends came in all sizes.......I never would have said anything hurtful about someone's size.......we are so much more than our outside appearance.....

And I'm sure they said things behind my back.......they're probably still talking, but now commenting how b*tchy I've become LOL I have no patience.....

Anyone have good suggestions to counteract negative comments?

That’s terrible, I can't imagine a work place where this would happen. Maybe look for a new company to work for? Doesn't seems like a good environment.

I can offer no real advise because you cannot change or control people only how you respond and react.

Just ignore the behavior and smile.

Oh, I would be the absolute worst person to ask on this one..

My response to their horrid remarks about a co-worker would range from 'Yeah well, you're hardly a Rubens painting yourself, are you?' or 'Yeah, and you're a regular Brad Pitt, baby' and other such childish utterances.

Sounds like you're dealing with it in a very lady-like manner.. by barely acknowledging them.

Their age-group is sadly what defines them. I'm sure most of them would prefer it if women had stayed in the household, perfectly manicured, chained to the sink, looking after their progeny whilst making sure their dinner, pipe and slippers were ready for them when they deigned to return to the household after a 'hard' day at work.

Oh god, don't get me started!!!!! I'd have a field day with this one! :blink:

They're idiots. They neither deserve your time, attention and more importantly, emotion. Fight the power, sister ;) x

This is a no win scenario. Everybody's got their own opinion. Also, My belief is everybody is "entitled" to their own opinion as well. So in the interest of privacy, I won't share mine.

This is a no win scenario. Everybody's got their own opinion. Also, My belief is everybody is "entitled" to their own opinion as well. So in the interest of privacy, I won't share mine.

Erm... but you just did?!!

Lol thats funny...

Me..I have decided I will not let it happen to anyone if I am in hearing distance....I have had enough of that crap for a life time and refuse to allow someone to say such terrible things to another human being....

I would have said.. you know the difference between you and her is...she can change and you'll always be stupid. Or she can improve. you your stuck being ignorant and looking just like you do now...so sorry for you!!!!!!

I know I shouldn't but I have had a huge change in my life and no longer will tolerate ignorant people!!!!!! :angry:

I use to be average size untill 7 years ago when I gain a large amount of weight. When I was smaller I always felt like overweight people would treat me negatively. Since I gained weight, overweight people i guess have excepted me as one of them and stopped with the attitude. Of course I have since been called names by "men" in their earily twenties and some pre teen girls. (What does that say about how slow men mature lol). I am 1/2 to my goal weight and recently I was in a store and the lady behind the counter (overweight woman) started to treat me poorly. I know it may not be because of my weight but its hard to explain but I feel that it was. I am not sure if any one else has experienced both side of this coin (but you soon will) but sometimes you just know when someone is treating you different b/c of your weight. Point being people, all people can be mean. And I think its great that you are standing up for others. I had a woman at work show me pictures of her daughters "this is my oldest isn't so pretty and this is my youngest she overweight but isnt my oldest just pretty" I just turned around and walked out. Later confronted I told her both of her daughters are pretty regardless of size. She then instead that she thought her ooldest more pretty not b/c of weight but b/c she was blonde. (yeah right). People are horrible.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY.... ;)

I have personally been through the ringer with the adult bullies. What usually gets the pot stirring is document everything they are saying about other coworkers and report to your Human Resource Management. There should be zero tolerance for that in the environment. I cannot stand an adult who has to bully another, we are not in high school anymore. One time in a place I worked for I called out a man who was making fun of another coworker to the point the lady found out and cried in the bathroom. I simply walked over to him and told him what I exactly think about him and that he is a low life, then walked myself right into both my managers office and HR managers office and reported everything and what I said to him.

What makes me angry is this is discrimination, how they make other people feel.

I tried Zumba and went to several classes, only to be singled out after the class by the instructor. She wanted my name and telephone number, to put me in touch with someone who had helped her. The penny dropped, she thought I needed to shed some weight. I couldn't believe her, I had lost 38lbs by then, without her friend! AND what if I didn't want to diet? REALLY!!! needless to say I lost my courage, and have not returned. To make things worse, the pretty little things at the front of the class started giggling and whispering. I felt like saying I'm fat, not hard of hearing.

These people are poorly educated, let's hope they don't catch the fat bug hey?

You should say I see someone needs cosmetic surgery to keep their nasty comments to themselves

People are mean and hateful and sadly the ones that are the most mean and hateful are the ones that generally dislike themselves, so they put others down to lift themselves up.

I think you handled the situation beautifully. You spoke up eloquently when it was warranted and walked away before you allowed yourself to get too angry.