Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss stall so early into the game...feeling let down

So my first 2 weeks I lost 13 lbs... Now I have not only completely stopped but gained a lb. I'm on solids now and the only thing I could think of was that I only lost that other weight because of the liquid diet. I am trying to put myself back on soft foods because I'm afraid the solids are too much for me right now and also causing a gain. I don't feel too much restriction but I'm positive I'm not over eating. I would like to lose 25 total lbs by the end of March which will be 2 mo out for me. My first fill is scheduled for the 21st. I am so upset though ugh! What am I doing wrong? Any tips on how I improve? Idk if I'm just overreacting... I thought heavier ppl lose weight quicker in the beginning. I eat mainly Proteins and try to watch sugar/carb intake the best I can.

Hey. I was banded on jan 22. I'm down about 13 pounds too. I was only on liquids for 4 days. Then I got the okay to eat mushies. Now today I got the okay to eat any food. My dietician who I'll be meeting with ever 2 weeks said that I should postpone my fill until I really need it. Meaning I'm doing really good with my weight loss. I eat really healthy. I eat mainly Protein such as eggs or salmon. Also fresh veggies and fruits such as kale or fruit smoothies. And the other main food I eat is dairy such as 0% yogurt or 3% cottage cheese. I feel great. I understand completely how you feel. We all did this to see major weight loss. But with that said we are supposed to heal the first month and not get crazy about weight loss. I think your doing amazing and should be really proud of yourself. 13 pounds! We will get the results we want. It's just going to take some time.

You're doing absolutely nothing wrong...this is how it is with the lap band....

All you did was have the band installed....you lost weight because of the pre and post op liquid diets...now it is back to reality....

Time to get the band adjusted and working, which took me months and a few fills........until then all you can do is pure will power....and yes, I gained weight also because I have no will power and stink at dieting...

You're expecting too much. If at 2 months you've lost 16lbs you'd be doing better than average. Your expectation of losing 25lbs in 2 months isn't impossible but it would be extremely uncommon.

Going back to soft foods won't help since it will lead to slider foods which give your body access to easy calories (the one thing the lap band is designed to reduce access to).

The initial weight loss often leads to a false expectation of a steady trend of shedding pounds but the reality is your weight is going to fluctuate up and down. You need to look at the long term and accept that some months you won't lose anything and sometimes you may even gain back weight but stay focused on how much you've lost total.

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy...have you not read posts about just this very thing? Of course you lost alot of weight on liquids. But you can't be afraid of food. And you can't obsess over the scale. I mean it....put it away. Just focus on eating well, Portion Control, and exercise. That's all it is. The weight will come off...give it some time. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times...you didn't gain it overnight, and you won't lose it that way either.

Stop putting so much pressure on yourself. Follow your doctor's instructions, and don't look at that scale again for at least a month. Oh, and look for the NSVs...you'll find plenty, I guarantee it. Good luck!

Hello WendyDarling19 - I had my LB surgery on Oct. 23rd and my weight loss - in my opinion - is very slow! I did no pre-surgery diet so I went in at my very heaviest 222, and I am currently at 196 for a total of 26 lbs in nearly 4 months. I was expecting 10lbs a month but based on my age, gender and metabolism, per doc - I'm doing good. (HA! NOT, again in my opinion)... And up until one week ago when I had fill #3 I really had no restriction, so I've been losing that weight by pure dieting - yes, I've felt like "what a fraud" - all this pain and suffering for WHAT, to be on another Atkins diet... so I can certainly relate to what you are saying.

That said, and now after fill #3 I do see how the band is going to REALLY work for the rest of my life - the restriction is much more significant now and I have to say my hunger is way down. Albeit, it's still so important to eat high Protein low carb low fat low sugar foods. This, as in most things, is a pure mental game - so being on this blog and hearing everyone's pro's and con's really has helped me put my mind in check.

Certainly, if I spend another year (or lifetime for that matter) eating as little as I am eating these days, the weight WILL come off and slow is better - right, right! :)

Another thing that has been happening to me over this past 4 months is how my weight loss occurs - it's enough to make any saint go CRAZY, and here is why. I'll start with my lovely monthly period and I start here because, by my experience, my weight does not come off until the 2-3rd day of my period and all of sudden I lose 4-7 pounds over night - now that is what the scale says, I believe that it's b/c I'm doing the right things all month long but for a good two weeks before my period the scale just does not move, then finally it does and then for the next week to 10 days I may lose another 1-2 lbs and then the vicious cycle starts all over again. yes - NUTS!

Hold steady WendyDarling19 - it's hard, but so is being heavy - and until you are fully adjusted the lapband will only feel like another gimmick, but I believe that it is not. Chin up and keep up the discipline - the outcome over the next year will be worth it.

Peace!

I think your being to hard on yourself. I am at same timeframe you are post surgical and haven't had a fill yet. Mine will be on 21st as well.

I think we need to remember that the 1st month post OP is about healing and getting used to band just being there. Once we get that 1st fill and start learning how to work with our band then I think we can start to set a monthly goal with the help of your team. I was told 1-2 lbs a week was realistic goal. I was told from the get go that normal for bands is slower in the short term but by 5th year out results were close to sleeve or bypass.

That being said, I also want the satisfaction of immediate results but know it took me a long time to get to place where I needed to be banded so I shouldn't expect it to just fall away post band.

Guess I am writing this to myself as well. I am reminding myself that there is always going to be an accountability factor since that band won't make chocolate cake or toffee bars taste any less amazing. We have to work the tool we chose.

I truly know how you feel about losing quickly. I caught stomach flu Friday and thought well at least I'm cleaned out and should drop 5# with luck. The following day I got influenza and am miserable. Again, my thoughts went to well, since I can't swallow much (sore throat), am still very nauseous etc... and basically drinking power aide zero and soup/broth at least my scale should make me smile. Wrong thinking. Guess what? I stepped on scale & I gained 2#. Don't know how but I know I can't let my scale rule my happiness if I know I am making the right decisions.

Not all successes are in #'s, losing inches is another way to get positive reinforcement without scale. Also, if you are exercising a lot you can gain muscle and it weighs more than fat, so don't be so hard on yourself. We just are getting started.

Smile, we are all on a journey and here to help each other.

Here's a simple explanation as to why we stall after 2 weeks:

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

And to those of you that believe they should be losing 10+ lbs a month? This is not a realistic goal. Just do the math. You may lose this kind of weight the first month but after that 4-6 lbs is more realistic.

Very heavy people(mostly guys) who participate in extreme exercising for long periods may lose this kind of weight, but most of us can only look forward to a 500-700 calorie/day deficit which equals about 1.4 lbs a week. jmo

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

I don't understand why everyone gets upset post surgery because your weight loss has stalled as you call it. A stall is 5 to 8 weeks and only being a couple weeks post op is not a stall. You are not going to lose weight every day, week or month. Your body has to catch up and you going back to mushy foods is not going to solve the problem. Just do what you are doing and it will come off. It didn't take you 2 weeks to gain all of your weight and it might take you two years to get it all off. Stay off the scale for now or you will give yourself nothing but disappointment day after day.

I think our society is in "Instant Gratification" mode with everything. For the first 8 weeks, people need to realize that they are healing from major surgery. Focus on your Protein and nutrition for now, these are key to healing without complications. After you heal and become more active things will start falling into place. You've just entered the Journey of your life, not a marathon...

Everyone loses differently... I understand your frustration.

Two weeks post op I lost 8 lbs. then I lost about about 4 and was stuck there for about 3 weeks (plus or minus a lb for those threeish weeks). I was getting disappointed too. After a while the scale started moving again. It's still a slow process and it's frustrating. I know I shouldn't compare to others but it's human nature. I know this wls isn't a magic cure all quick fix but I can't help myself that I feel it's going too slow either.

One thing that got my scale moving again was introducing small Snacks to keep my metabolism going and not think it was starving. I bumped my calories up to 1200/1500 actually and things moved. Just don't do it too long or you might start gaining.

hey wendy

WLS is major weight loss surgery....if they put someone to sleep, its major...sorry to disagree with you there.

Yes larger BMI can and do lose faster at the beginning..we got more to lose..not fair but it is what it is..

promise you and everyone else on here, the majority would not have wanted to start well over 300+..like i did

a loss is a loss...no matter how big or small

we all will lose 1/4 pound at a time the same way we gained it..

let your body heal, get your mind set right and know this.. if you lose INCHES, no matter what the scale says or does not say, that is a accurate record of it you are losing or not...

all the best

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

Not too worried about it anymore. Already 2 lbs down this week. Week ends thurs

Not too worried about it anymore. Already 2 lbs down this week. Week ends thurs

Woohoo. Just when I was getting depressed and frustrated with my plateau it started moving again. Glad the scale is moving for you.