Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I thought I'd seen it all - I was wrong!

May I ask a question about eating fibre after banding. I have read on here or somewhere that the DR suggests taking a laxitive instead of fibre rich foods after surgery. Any particular reason?

Fiber supplements such as metamucil etc. can block up at the band. Many high Fiber foods, are just that, very fibrous, and therefore very hard for us to digest...which pre banding, meant we felt full longer, but since banding, that can cause problems. Adding some wheat germ or such I am told is fine, but you need to watch how you eat high fiber foods, and take them very slowly. Many bandsters, myself included, get fiber in the way of Cereal in the morning (or whenever!). I had to start very slow, and eat carefully. Chew forever!!!!

I would be extremely cautious with laxatives too---they become habit very quickly----BUT used with care, they beat the heck out of Constipation, which is prevalent with our high Protein diets.

Try some cereal or something slowly---and eventually you should be able to find a way to satisfy your bodies needs with food. Which is one of the biggies of this surgery---lack of supplements!

Good Luck!!!

Kat

ok, I can't speak for metamucil, because I don't use it. I can see how it thickens ALOT... but... I don't know that it would block anything, especially drank with tons of Water.

I agree, that because we are (or are supposed to be) focusing on eating Protein first, there's not always much room for fibrous stuff.

That said, I use Benefiber, which is a Fiber supplement that is non thickening, tasteless and clear... add it to Water or whatever you want. It's fine. Try it, love it. Your bowels will too!

*I am Canadian, and speak of Canadian products, so trust that you will be able to find this item anywhere you look!*

;)

I know it's all fun and jokes that the TCC has a bunch of other procedures, but i honestly believe that the BEST surgeons out there are plastic surgeons. They have to be perfect, there is not really any room for error as people are 99% self pay, and it is usually work that everyone can see. Plus they go through so much school and training, I am sure most people couldn't handle it. Seriously, I'm still glad i'm doing a consult there, i will report about it because it seems NO ONE has actually gone there. (on these boards)

Good point argon, I have never used any of it, was just going by what my hand outs from the fill Dr. said about metamucil. Don't think I could choke it down anyway!!! It may have been refering to the pill form too----I can't really tell you!

There are some good plastic surgery threads---pics and all! Now not necessarily the ps that Yoda referred to!!!

Kat

Argon can you add this to any drink, ie Crystal lite or tea? When are you allowed to have tea and coffee after banding?

I add my benefibre to my morning protien shake. You can add it to anything even Water.

Buy it at costco because it is a hell of a lot cheaper there than anywhere I found.

Andrew

Robgoblin. I love the fun and jokes, but if you choose the TCC you obviously feel good about your choice. I wish you the best when you do decide to get the band, no matter who does it. Doddie

Benefibre is AWESOME> I even used it prior to banding. As Mandi said, it is non-thickening etc.....yes, you can add it to ANYthing.

Like Andrew, I get mine at costco.

Robgoblin: you are absolutely correct....PS have to be good surgeons, per say. Check it out, ask your questions....compare and see how you feel!

I also use benefibre, it is awesome in or on anything!!!

robgoblins, try to get a list of patients that the doc has done. Talk to them about their experience, or ask them if any of them are online. Maybe there's a cluster of them, just somewhere else in cyberspace.

Thanks for the info on the benefibre. I have been having that problem since surgery. Does look like its going to get much better with all the Protein. I am off to costco. Thanks again.

Bev

isnt it strange how dr's differ?

it was one of the first questions i asked my surgeon because i dig metamucile and take it about once every other week. he said it wouldnt be a problem and it hasnt so far.

I take it.

i can see how with more restriction id want it much more diluted.

Donna D.,

I found out about a week after my surgery (banded at TLBC) that black coffee and tea are considered clear fluids and you can add milk/cream when you start the full fluids.

Please sprinkle some testosterone in this thread!! I started PBing when I read the comments. BUT at last it doesnt suprise me...

when I was banded at Dr Coburns clinic I also took advantage of the services of the cosmetic professionals. When I was under I got them to circumcise me as well. I even got to keep the removed "excess baggage". In fact I made it into a wallet... you rub it and it becomes a large suitcase but when exposed to temps below 21 C it shrinks considerably.

I asked what it would cost to have my Weapon/Member molded cosmetically... very pricey but I am considering the "Owen Wilson Nose" penis look a like job.

Ok back to your women conversation...I did notice all the women working their were driving Vulva Cars

Ok I am writing down a thousand times...

"CanadianMacDaddy will not be a sick bastard... forever"

ta ta