Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you handle telling everyone about your surgery

I haven't made a final decision yet, but I'm not sure I want to tell a lot of people that I'm opting for WLS. The problem with the sleeve is it's hard to hide, from hospital time to rapid weight loss. It may sound foolish but many are family members who I love, otherwise I wouldn't care so much, but they don't get WLS. How did you handle it?

Everything I hide I eventually eat. Besides, I just lost 77 pounds in 6 months so who was I fooling? I tell everyone. What I don't do is defend it. I don't have to. This was the best decision I ever made and I won't let anyone make me ashamed of it.

Personally, I chose to not tell anyone except my husband and two college age kids. In my family there is so much drama. This surgery was for me, and I just did not want to deal with all the cr@p I knew would be coming at me. I still think it was the best thing.

It took people months to notice I lost weight at work. When they did notice I just laughed and said I had been dieting for months and people were just noticing now because I bought new clothes. At the first of the year I started working out with a trainer that everyone knows around here, so that has bought me some weight loss believability, too.

No one suspects WLS and i am just fine with that. I am very private and my medical issues are no ne else's business. That is just me, though. Plenty of others here are fine with being poster children for WLS. More power to them. For me, the journey is hard enough without questions and worry and accusations from other people.

Nmjg I couldn't agree with you more! I chose to tell my husband, his mom and my very best friend. No one else knows not even my 4 kids. I just said I was having hernia repair surgery (still have to get that after I reach my goal weight) and doc told me most of his patients who choose to keep it private just say they're eating less these days. Lol I like losing weight without drama from others!

So I was going to be very discreet about my surgery and only told 4 people.... my business partner (to explain the time off), a friend here in Idaho who had gastric bypass years ago (for some insight and support), my sister in Wisconsin (she accompanied me to TJ for surgery), and my parents in Arizona(because my sister convinced me how pissed they'd be if they found out afterwards).

In the course of 3 weeks, my partner told her whole family and any friends that asked why I wasn't around at Christmas time. My friend told a number of mutual friends because "it's no big deal and they will all see you losing weight anyways", my sister told most of the rest of my family, including brother, nieces and nephews, and my mom told any family members that my sister missed -aunts and uncles, and everybody she talks to in her retirement park down in Arizona.

Today I walked into my beauty salon and my nail tech insisted on knowing how I lost so much weight. I'm a terrible lier so ended up telling her about the surgery and kept the entire salon of patrons entertained with my tale of bariatric surgery in Tijuana. One of them ended up getting the name and contact info for my surgeon!

So my original plan to keep this a secret has gone all to shit, but Luckily I have had nothing but supportive feedback. If anyone is saying anything negative, at least they are doing it behind my back

Edited by Kindle

I went from lapband to sleeve. Many of my family members knew I had the sleeve, and also that I was having complications. I wasn't going to tell anyone that I was having sleeve at first, but I changed my mind. A lot of people in my life don't understand, but I would rather they know invade something bad were to happen, or lord forbid they think I suddenly developed an eating disorder. Surprisingly, everyone had been immensely supportive.

At the end of the day. It's your body and your choices. Do what make you feel comfortable!

Erin.

I basically tell people when they ask especially if someone is obese don't want give them false hope in diets that didn't work for me so I just cut the story short they Ask wow great diet I answer no WLS no body comments on surgery they keep saying how wonderful I look and wish me luck :)

So I was going to be very discreet about my surgery and only told 4 people.... my business partner (to explain the time off), a friend here in Idaho who had gastric bypass years ago (for some insight and support), my sister in Wisconsin (she accompanied me to TJ for surgery), and my parents in Arizona(because my sister convinced me how pissed they'd be if they found out afterwards).

In the course of 3 weeks, my partner told her whole family and any friends that asked why I wasn't around at Christmas time. My friend told a number of mutual friends because "it's no big deal and they will all see you losing weight anyways", my sister told most of the rest of my family, including brother, nieces and nephews, and my mom told any family members that my sister missed -aunts and uncles, and everybody she talks to in her retirement park down in Arizona.

Today I walked into my beauty salon and my nail tech insisted on knowing how I lost so much weight. I'm a terrible lier so ended up telling her about the surgery and kept the entire salon of patrons entertained with my tale of bariatric surgery in Tijuana. One of them ended up getting the name and contact info for my surgeon!

So my original plan to keep this a secret has gone all to ****, but Luckily I have had nothing but supportive feedback. If anyone is saying anything negative, at least they are doing it behind my back

sorry to laugh at your issues here, but it is pretty funny! ah, the way our plans go awry! I sympathize :)

My close family and people at work knew ahead of time...others I just know..if they ask, I tell them. Its hard to hide and for me, I dont care how they feel about it. Its the best thing I ever did for myself.

I thought I would be open to anyone who asked, but when I told my mom and my aunt before I had surgery, they both had quite a negative reaction to it. Mostly out of concern for me, thinking it would be too difficult to live with the major changes. Since then, I feel awkward telling anyone I had surgery. People really notice now that I've lost weight, but I find myself answering that I'm just eating a lot less. Technically true, but I don't feel right hiding part of the truth. It's like I can't make myself say "I had surgery", yet I don't really mind if people know. Just a weird situation for me.

This is such a personal choice - everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do regarding telling people. Some can shout from the top of a mountain, "I had weight loss surgery!" Others, like me, keep it to themselves.

Here's my story - I told 4 people...My husband, son, parents and best friend. I chose not to tell others - I live in a small community and have seen how some "friends" talk behind others' backs. I didn't want that.

Here's the thing - I've lost 50 pounds now and my brothers and their families haven't commented on my weight loss. I have had a couple of people recently comment on my weight loss, but haven't been put in a position to explain it or even really talk about it. I got some compliments and it was left at that - no need to elaborate. I've been in situations where I have had to eat with business associates and friends and no one has commented on how little I eat. These were both things I worried about before surgery - having to explain the rapid weight loss and the amount of food I eat.

We all just need to do what's best for our individual situations.

I'm 7 days post op and have told only close family and friends and a few good work friends. I'm still undecided how ill handje it. I do knowthat if someone with a weight problem asks im being honest. Others still undecided. I love reading everyone's responses.

I honestly didn't want many people to know but my family, I didn't want people to try to discourage me. When I told my mother In law she told everyone at church. people that I don't really associate with. I was really up set when people was questioning me at church and telling how it's just a bad idea. I was also compared to another sister in my church that has the gastric bypass. I had the sleeve don't and I'm doing fine no complications thank God. Anyhow this other person didn't really take care of them self too well. She also has a lot of habits i don't have. I went ahead any how and I'm doing it for me.

I wasn't secretive about it, but didn't go around announcing it to the world either. I was honest with everyone about it, once I'd told my family. I wanted to get through pre-op---all of the testing and insurance approval before I talked to my elderly parents about it. They (and my whole family) have been very supportive and encouraging. My boyfriend and close friends knew earlier on and were supportive and helpful too. My best friend and I were taking this journey together and she was a mountain top screamer about hers, so a lot of folks knew before I was ready to discuss it! lol I'm a member of a very large social dance club (shagging) and a lot of them noticed the weight loss, knew I'd had surgery of some kind and since my knees were getting better, with the weight loss (arthritis), and I was walking without limping and dancing some again, they thought I'd had knee surgery. I didn't correct a lot of them who I'm not close to. It's a personal journey and I wanted NO negative feed back and refused to justify myself to anyone. Luckily, everyone in my life watched my struggles to walk most days over the last 4-5 years and when I explained that I was doing this for my mobility, they were right on board. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. it's your journey and you can go about it how you want to!

I am not planning to tell anyone but my 7 nursing school classmates, my instructors ( since I won't be able to lift at clinicals for a while), my husband and a few close friends. Not telling my kids because my ex would find out and I don't want any more negativity from him. That's it....