Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Controlled by food...what does this really mean?

I am considering the lap band.

I keep seeing many references to 'not being controlled by food' any longer....(after having the band). People are feeling grateful and suddenly satisfied after the surgery and I need to know what this means.

I am a definate foodie. I'm not into chocolate cake and Cookies ( well maybe sometimes ;-) )....my choice of foods are more savoury...like Pasta with creamy sauces...or for any Canadians out there--I'm a poutine addict!! Deep fried foods call my name and I answer...

I eat when I want with very little to no accountability.

I love to eat in my car and when no one is home.

I am rarely "hungry" in the normal sense of the word. I over eat all the stuff I like.

By having the lap band I understand that amounts of food will be restricted but how does this stop you from wanting those yummy foods and therefore gaining the control over them??

I'm trying to understand....

Depending on you and your band (as it seems to vary by patient to patient)... These fatty breaded items (fried food) will get stuck in your band this potentially causing you to throw up. Knowing the potential is there that will cause me to get sick on certain foods is enough to keep me from trying it. Also, once you've eaten healthy for a long time - fried foods will cause stomach upset anyways (at least for me). I'm about 1.5 months out so I still have a long way to go but that's been my experiencing far. I used to crave steak. I got sick with it twice and really do not crave it at all. I never thought I'd say that I'd prefer chicken over a steak but hey that's where I'm at. I don't miss it either. It's so weird. Sure there are still days when I crave chocolate but that's a whole other story. That goes down easy. That's one that you have to have the mind over matter / traditional diet mentality.

I am 17 months out and green zone but I do fight the head hunger and stick to the one cup rule for food (3 meals and one snack. 1 hour of exercise per day- 6 days a week. I am 8.5 in my 11cc band and started out 210lbs and down 60 lbs and 20 more to goal.

I know what you mean. food controls you in that you can't/won't/don't stop and you eat to excess. You also eat food that is not healthy for you. I am all about control...ask my therapist and she'll tell you..lol. When I choose healthier options, and choose not to overeat..and believe me, it's a choice, I am in control of my intake and that feels so fantastic. It's better than the fleeting good feeling from overeating that quickly turns to self hate and all that other crap we deal with. Then, you have the bonus of the weight loss on top of that.

It's not easy, but it's so worth it. Imagine eating a delicious meal and walking away not stuffed..but satisfied. You get to eat what you enjoy and the bonus is that if you stayed within your band sized portion, you stayed in control of the food and didn't let the food control you. Does that make sense?

Edited by gowalking

There are some here who say that they no longer think about eating when they're not hungry. I was that way in the beginning of my journey, but my head hunger hasn't miraculously disappeared. When I give in to it, I choose a Protein bar or something light with Protein. I rarely eat fried food anymore, because it's unhealthy. I'm not saying that I never have it, but it's infrequent. But we won't talk about all the potato chips I ate yesterday at our Superbowl party - LOL.

What the band does for me, is dramatically reduce the amount of food I'm able to eat in one sitting. And when properly adjusted, I do not get hungry (true hunger) for a good 4 hours. If you choose to go through with this, you will have to change some habits, like eating whatever you want, whenever you want it. You will have to be accountable, but to no one but yourself. It takes continuous effort, especially in the first few months post-op. Then it starts to become the new normal. The band/plication doesn't stop me from wanting Cookies, chips, french fries, etc. But when I'm done eating my band size portion, I'm REALLY done. Most of the time I don't think about eating until I start to feel true hunger. That's not to say that sometimes I don't want to sit down and munch on something, anyway. It takes work.....band or no band. But with the surgery, I have, and continue to have, a fighting chance. When I have a bad day, it's so much easier to hop right back on track.

Edited by mrsto

I'm three months out so rather new at this, but what I'm experiencing is life without a chattering monkey on my shoulder going on about food, food, food. That whole "what can I have?" refrain, or "what's next, what's next -- more, more!" Gone. Now don't get me wrong -- I still love food. I'm a fine cook and I am in the world of food still, but in a healthy way. It's not about personal intake now -- but I still really appreciate the tastes of amazing things being created around me or something yummy I make. But small amounts. Food is not controlling me and, Lordy, is that a relief.

I used to be a constant, constant food grazer and I dont think I ever really felt hungry thats how often I would eat. And I would eat to excess...well past that thanksgiving dinner stuffed feeling!

Since my band w/ plication I am no longer controlled by food. I eat to live and I definitely dont live to eat anymore. I feel lucky that I dont have the cravings that I used to have but there are times when I still want that something...anything. And I try to have a little of it. I find that I do eat whatever I want (within band portions) and I do NOT deprive myself of anything. I eat healthier than I ever have before and choose that first over crappy food.

Is it hard, yes...at times. Recently, I've been going through dealing with some old habits of just eating to eat and I really have to think about what and why I am doing it. I've come so far...down 75 lbs and into a size 16 skinny jeans (havent owned jeans in well over 20 years). So, with that, I have to decide what i want more...that chocolate chip cookie or my size 16's. That choice is easy. I've come to far to screw it up.

My point, it is work. WLS is NOT a magic wand. Things do not magically happen when you wake up from your surgery. It is a tool...a great tool that must be worked. You have to want to work it (a wise lady told me that...thanks CG), you have to want to listen to it, you have to want it to work for you! And you have to believe in yourself...you must believe that you can and will succeed.

WLS is a huge decision. Everyone is different. I've had great success so far with no fills as of yet....I am proud of myself and still learning. Everyday I learn something new. I can't "cheat" my band...it will know. I can't pretend it isnt there...it reminds me. I can't ignore it when I'm tired and want to eat that certain food in quantities like I used to...it WILL remind me.

With all that being said....I wish you lots of luck on your decision!! Just remember, you will not know how YOUR band will work until you have it...you will not know YOUR successes until you have it...you will not know YOUR restriction/fills needed/stuck episodes until you have it.

So, I know you are looking for answers....many of those you will have to find within yourself. You can read all of our stories and successes and struggles but they are OURS....you have to make your decision based on what your heart tells you...what your research tells you and what your doctors tell you.

Wishing you all the best....please let us know of your decision...some great people here who are ready to help and support each other!