Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where I am going to, Medicare wont pay Lap Band removal or any revisions. I called another W.L. Center and they said the same thing. :(

Medicare requires you to use a Center of Excellence for surgeries. I would call every hospital in your area and speak to the insurance coordinator for the bariatric department to determine a) if they contract with Medicare and B) if they are a COE.

This is what I had to do prior to my Lapband implantation.

Type in the name of the hospital bariatrics, go to the page. This is what COE looks like at my local hospital

https://www.evergreenhealth.com/for_patients/medical_services/weight_loss_services

Note the COE seal at the bottom of the page. If you see this, call them to see if they are contracted with Medicare.

You might also ask if the physicians you're working with accept Medicare? Not all doctors accept Medicare and if they do, some won't accept assignment(the coded fee structure).

Edited by 2muchfun

The W.L. Center is an Center of Excellence. They are contracted to work with Medicare patients. I have already talked to the Program Cordinator. She is the one who told me about the Medicare patients who are waiting and are currently trying to find a way to pay for the removal of the band. I just cant take a chance and have a problem with the band and have no way to find an answer.

I talked further with the W.L. Center. They asked me if I decided what surgery I decided to have. I told them that is a hard decision for me to make, they are both good surgeries, and I think I would do fine with either one of them.

The nurse explained how they have a few Lap Band patients that are needing to have their band removed, and how Medicare doesn't want to cover for the cost. The patients are right now, trying to figure out how to pay for themselves. The nurse said she doesn't want me to be in a situation like they are. I am just not willing to take a chance, so I plan to get the sleeve.

Awesome choice! I am 5 years since being lap-banded and going through the process of having it removed and a sleeve done. It has been a nightmare, even with no fluid! 3 out of 4 of my family members had the lapband and then changed to a sleeve because of how horrible it is. They LOVE their sleeves.

I have had both the lap band and the sleeve and I can difinitively say that I love my sleeve far far more. I also don't miss the other 85% of my stomach. C'est l'vie. The other 85% helped me fit in way too much food and got me to over 300 Lbs and on my way to 400. I am going on my 4th year post op and my Sleeve still saves me all the time.

Good luck with your decision!

Curvy malapsorption and the Sleeve is an issue. You will need to be mindful of your supplements just like the Rny. Especially those that can cause anemia, such as Iron and B-12. They cut out the part of the stomach that absorbs it, so you will have to take in an extremely high dose daily (as I do) or take them sublingually. I just wanted to clear that up because if you're going to have the sleeve you will want to know this going in. All the best.

Curvy, Apparently not all sleevers share your views on malabsorption: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/295731-i-wish-i-hadnt-gotten-the-band/?p=3343995

I too will concede that stats do change and numbers were different when I was researching this over a year ago. However, despite what others might feel or agree with, the sleeve is not a malabsorption issue.

http://gastricsleevenow.com/advantages-of-gastric-sleeve-surgery

I talked to death about this with my doctor because I am horrible at taking vitamins/ pills/ medications/ etc.

Curvy, Apparently not all sleevers share your views on malabsorption: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/295731-i-wish-i-hadnt-gotten-the-band/?p=3343995

I too will concede that stats do change and numbers were different when I was researching this over a year ago. However, despite what others might feel or agree with, the sleeve is not a malabsorption issue.

http://gastricsleevenow.com/advantages-of-gastric-sleeve-surgery

I talked to death about this with my doctor because I am horrible at taking vitamins/ pills/ medications/ etc.

I have decided to go with the sleeve. The reoperation rate is high with the lap band and its more maintinance than the sleeve. I don't want to take a chance with multiple operations. Thanks for all the advice I can't wait until my surgery in April.

Sleeve all the way baby!!! Foreign objects can lead to troubles long term .. Just my opinion.

I think that's a great choice! I wish I'd been able to get the VSG in the first place. It's much safer on a virgin stomach than one that's been damaged by a previous weight loss surgery.