Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most humiliating day ever! 22 days post op..

Hello all of you great supporters everywhere, I know there are many people who can relate to this and help me with my dilemma. I had my bypass on 1/7/14 and have been doing great. I have definitely been conscious of my breath d/ t the Protein Shakes and I brush at least 4 times a day to get out the nasty taste (sickening sweet dry mouth). But I returned to work today ( my first day back) and I was so excited to show off all the great success I've had so far. Partly through the day I was sipping on my Protein Shake which I admit doesn't smell that great and has a horrible after taste when one of my direct co-workers asked if the smell was the Protein and I said yes and apologized and explained that I needed it for my diet and it was essential at this point in my journey. I said I would try to drink the shakes before and after work if possible and left it at that. Another co-worker in the same office commented on a rotten fruit smell and I again apologized that it was most likely the protein I had just finished washed out the container and put away. I explained the situation , being RN's I thought they would leave it at that but someone went to my manager who sat down with me and had started asking me if I have any issues with body odor and I said of course not. I explained what had transpired earlier and explained I needed to drink the protein for my diet and health. She then has the audacity to walk from behind her desk and smell me . I am a very clean

Person and shower daily usually at night but I will be switching it up. Now I feel as though I can't drink my shakes at work although that is the best time for me to have them so I am not so full at dinner time. She said he daughter who does body building had issues with smells die to the protein and she told to her to add vanilla, vanilla doesn't go with everything! i don't think it was noticeable when i was drinking the ready to drink protein....My boss told me to buy some body spray and use it! I have a job where I go into people's homes to take care of their children So I certainly don't want to make a bad impression there ! I thought a group of well educated nurses would understand the whole ketosis process and the extra protein adding to whatever smell I have . I definitely do not have body odor! I felt like the stinky kid and when it was supposed to be such a positive day it turned out horrible ! I am using breath mints and such. Any suggestions on deodorant or body washes to get me through this time??? How long can I expect this new apparently offensive smell to last ? Sorry to ramble. Just don't know what to do and hoping my fellow brave WLS folks have some suggestions ! THANK YOU :)

What Protein Shakes are you drinking?

I am drinking muscle milk with soy milk as the base ... Didn't seem to have any issues with the ready to drink muscle Milk mixed with a lite and fit non fat Greek yogurt. But so not cost effective. Had strawberries and creme this morning

I was using the Premier Protein shakes and didn't notice or have any complaints about odor. The only thing I noticed was sometimes if I didn't drink Water after I would have bad breath but nothing a good brush and mouthwash couldn't take care of. I also tried the hemp Protein and the after taste was bad but went away quickly and didn't give me bad breath. I haven't tried muscle milk... :( my fiancé used to drink it I'll ask him when he gets home.

Now that I'm remembering, ok so he lost 120 pounds by keeping his body in ketosis and he did have bad breath and was using muscle milk!! I mean whey is derived from milk... Which causes bad breath and ketosis is also known for causing bad breath. I googled and found this http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/anabolic-steroids/my-skin-smells-weird-any-idea-cause-874263-2.html

You should read through this forum

I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury whey Protein. There is really no smell at all that I can tell. The taste of this product is great. You might have to change what you drink at work if it has that much of a smell or try the premixed bottles but you are right not cost effective.

With chocolate Unjury Mix 21g

One cup milk 6g

PB2 2.5g

And a banana

It tastes amazing.

JP

personally, if you are settled and progressing with what you are taking, then DO NOT change it....

I HATE the smell of coffee and have to deal with it in the office ALL DAMN DAY LONG.

Also, I am 9 months out and no matter how many times I brush/floss/rinse, I have bad breath. I refuse to eat mints all day.

Just be a little more discreet - such as change your cup washing habits maybe. Perhaps get a really nice smelling air freshener to keep near your desk.

Your post kind of made me angry at the intolerance of people to simple things. If the diabetic employee has a certain diet that causes them to have stinky gas all day (yes a co-worker), and someone said to them that they smell, I would FLIP. They have made great compromises without having to jeopardize their diet.

I agree with Cherry. If you like and can tolerate what you are drinking, by all means keep at it. Those co-workers are nurses? They should understand and be used to smells. Keep on keeping on!!!

I gotta say reading your post just hurt my heart for you. I'm a nurse and has never been so in compassionate to anyone! I remember the bad breath etc and it was bad at 1st but got better. I kept breath mints all the time. Was a constant with sugar free mints. I am appalled how you were treated. I have to say if anything as humiliating had happened to me there would be hell to pay! I would file a formal complaint with HR if it

Doesn't get better. Hopefully you will find the right combo of things that will make you feel comfortable. I can only imagine how this weights on your mind now constantly. Good luck and just remember as terrible as it seems..this too will pass! You will be so delighted about your decision and in a few months when u look back you can certainly feel happy seeing where you came from.

Ok for real wtf! Your boss walked over and smelled you? I am s nurse... and work at a hospital with other nurses... my boss wouod NEVER DO THAT. Number 1 its f'n rude! I mean if u have body odor thats one thing but if u did she wouldnt have to come over and smell you. So rude and unprofessional. My heart breaks for you :(

Buy some body spray and use it. Seriously??

Do u have an HR department? I would seriously talk to them. And stand up for yourself sweetheart! Tell your boss shes being rude. If there really was a problem there are other ways of addressijg it.

Im so sorry :(

Are you taking Probiotics? My nurse had us start them 2 week before surgery (mines Tuesday) and continue using them for abdominal gas because of the change in digestion. Maybe that will help????

Forgot to say, I am an RN and would like to think that all medical professionals are compassionate and understanding but unfortunately I know that I know that is not true. I'm sorry you had that experience with your coworkers.

Since you asked about suggestions for body wash and deodorant sprays, I personally use antibacterial Dial liquid soap because I have always been Uber conscious of smells and never wanted to be a smelly "fat person" or be accused by anyone of it. I am shocked that professionals such as your coworkers had that reaction to you. I am very sorry that you've had to endure that. Take care.