Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I may start a contorversy...but here goes

Hi Faith,

I had the procedure done at central michigan community hospital in Mt. Pleasant.

Dr. Sabir did the surgery while teaching Dr. Pilkington. Dr. Sabir came from Providence hospital in Southfield, and did his residency out east.

I am very happy.

I would love to see a lapband group form though around here.

Everyone has their own opinions and lives their own lives. Everyone is different, and who cares why I decided to get the band or not. It was my choice to do it. Ive seen this lap band 1st hand for a year now. And I know what to be careful with and what not to be a titty about.

I had the idea to eat mushy food from this web site. I was off couple days so I just spent my time on hear reading all these posts. Alot of people where all play by the rules Jones, but a few did things differenttly. They made it, I will make it and other people will make it after me.

When your 1st banded the band isn't even full. Why mind F yourself w/ liquids for 4 weeks all scared about tearing this and that. Wwwaaahhh !!! Like I read on here, a DR can't really give you exact advise unless they had the same thing done and went through the same things before us. And my DR sure dosen't have a port sticking out of his stomach.

People have the choice to act like adults and make decisions in their life that affect themselves and whomever they choose to join that life. Why does everyone have to follow the exact same rules. If that is how it's supposed to be I probably woudln't be typing this response right now. Kim Jong Yang (the Korean ruler at this juncture) could be our leader and there would be no Fatty Chatty for anyone.

I sat here and wondered the same things. Would I hurt myself, would I get denied surgery for not following the liquid diet to the letter? Would I be crippled up on the couch crying about gas pain for days and days. And the answer Alex....X NO! And I may be a lucky one, but guess what, that's how it went for ME. So if someone can read this and form his or her own opinion about it then so be it. This was my experience and how I handled the situation. It's not for everyone.

Any guy out there who wants to get this done, but worries being able to smoke after surgery or eat some kind of food sometime after surgery and basically dosen't want to be a pussy about it all. YOU DON'T HAVE TO ! You can get this Lap Band and still have fun in life. Yes there are things everyone needs to consider and weigh the risks. But if you can get a handle of all of it, why the hell not keep enjoying life. I loved life before this band and plan to love it even more after it. This band only changes my apperance, not the person who I am inside.

Following the advice of a surgeon and doctors who have performed this surgery many times and have had many patients makes someone a pussy? Nice to know. For the record, I hope nothing goes wrong with your band. But I think you are taking an extreme chance. You won't know if something goes wrong until it goes wrong. While I think your willingness to possibly sacrifice your band and your health is absolutely irresponsible, it's your own body. I think it is doubly irresponsible, though, for you to tell other people that they can do it and have nothing go wrong.

So to everyone out there, I guess the moral of the story is to listen to your doctor and your nutritionist. They have a shitload more experience than any of us do, so FOLLOW THEIR ADVICE. It's a few measly weeks out of the rest of your life. A few weeks. Not months. Not years. Weeks, for Pete's sake. It won't kill anyone to actually follow the advice of your surgeon for that long.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

:amen:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Rebel attitudes and weight loss surgery are not compatible.

Yup, me thinks someone either fibbed BIG time in their psych consult, or they were self-pay and didn't have to have one.

It's hard to stop yourself eating when you have the muchies, too :bolt: (a little 420) But I do wish jubjub luck and really hope no complications arise.

Lol, I didn't have a psych consult. I saw the dr, he said cool, your young, good job doing it now. Set it up, in - out, wham bam thank you maam. and I have kick ass insurance!

Remember everyone vote for Sanjaya tomorrow. And watch Beth O on The View as well.

Hey Now ....

I was self pay and had the psych evaluation, but I respect my band and my doctor's advice.

Macho and the band don't mix, just my opinion.

(I still enjoy my Splenda, LOL)

Like I read on here, a DR can't really give you exact advise unless they had the same thing done and went through the same things before us. And my DR sure dosen't have a port sticking out of his stomach.

Interesting attitude. So I shouldn't allow my male doctor to do my pelvic exam anymore because he doesn't have the same equipment? All those years in med school don't stack up to being a patient with a given condition. Hum.

Personally, I paid a lot of money for my band. So I plan to follow the advice of the person I paid. Since he has a lot of knowledge I don't.

I just had it done as well. Im a couple days post surgery and I have been eating mushy real food. The pre diet I never did the low fat anything. Was good w/ liquids, but ate pudding and Jello and icecream. I know ALOT of people on here say stick to what the diet says, especially after surgery. Well I have not. It bothered me once when I ate to much I could feel the food just sitting over the band. But besided Protein drinks I have had mashed potatos and Red Beans and Rice from Popeye's. DAMN it's good. Me personally, I can take this food and it's not hurting me. I would stick w/ moderete food you can take and just work up from there. I don't feel the liquid diet is completley needed for 2 weeks afterwards. Just try stuff a little at a time and see what your body can take. I would be loosing my mind right now if I was still only drinking liquids. But to each his own.

I don't think that the purpose of the post-op diet is to punish us without food. There is ALWAYS a reason doctors implement rules. It was my understanding that the reason for all liquids, is to give you a chance to heal, as well as letting the band settle into place on your stomach. Liquids run straight through, however, foods will settle in your pouch. The LEAST little bit of pressure on your new band is NOT good in the first couple of weeks. You need to let your band settle on your stomach before you try to eat. Just because you THINK it's OK, doesn't mean you are not pushing your band out of place or enlarging your stoma.

This surgery is costing me 8,000. I'm not going to do ANYTHING to jeopardize my band. What is 2-3 weeks of liquids?? I've got the rest of my life to enjoy food. I just don't think it's worth it, to PUSH it.

Donna

Macho and the band don't mix, just my opinion.

DITTO! Narcissism and the band don't mix either, IMHO. How can someone who has "seen this lapband first hand for a year now" think they know more than doctors who have done hundreds, if not thousands, of operations? I don't get it.

Although most, if not all, of the doctors whose patients are on this site have different tweaks on the post-op diet, collectively they all seem to prescribe Clear Liquids for at least five days, full liquids for at least a few more, mushies for a week or more, and then softs and mushies for some time after that. For me, I won't have a bite of regular food (such as Beans and rice) until six weeks after my surgery. Is that comfortable for me? NO! Will I do it? I'll certainly do my best and am determined that I will succeed in following my doctor's prescription for band success. It would be arrogant and downright stupid to do otherwise, in my not-so-humble opinion. 'Nuff said from me.

My surgon, Dr McBride at UNMC in Omaha Nebraska has the band. I will follow her advice about 2 weeks Clear Liquids, 2 weeks full liquids, then mushies, slowly adding regular food. It's hard at times, 1 more week of clear liquids, but if I wanted to continue on eating whatever I wanted, I wouldn't have gotten the band. I plan on being a success (one week banded today and 19 pounds gone FOREVER)

Lol, I didn't have a psych consult. I saw the dr, he said cool, your young, good job doing it now. Set it up, in - out, wham bam thank you maam. and I have kick ass insurance!

Remember everyone vote for Sanjaya tomorrow. And watch Beth O on The View as well.

Hey Now ....

I believe this post explains it all. Paints a pretty good picture don't you think? :bolt:

Donna