Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will be 64 in March

post-199006-0-25025600-1391642168_thumb.jpg

This has worked wonders for me. I have bad insomnia and it also saved my life trying to fall asleep with that stupid Cpap machine!

Dream Water? What's in it???? Tell me. I doubt its anything I haven't tried, but what the heck.

Oh a c-pap! Mercy! I don't know how anyone stands those things. Im so glad I don't have sleep apnea!

I saw an MD about my insomnia. He said, "Im not surprised you cant sleep. You took a benzo for 30 years!" He also said there's NO proof that those drugs cause brain damage...but I'm still wondering. Its been 18 monthes since I last took one....you'd think my brain would have healed by now, and would let me sleep.

Weighed myself - 120 lbs. That's a good weight for me, a little thin. Next month I plan to join a local gym. Its one that does NOT cater to the "muscle crows." Just ordinary folks with ordinary bodies.

attachicon.gif:

This has worked wonders for me. I have bad insomnia and it also saved my life trying to fall asleep with that stupid Cpap machine!

There are mouth appliances that g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y move your lower jaw forward to stop you from snoring. I MUCH prefer that to a stupid CPAP machine!

Ive spent the last month not feeling great - injured my back lifting something I shouldn't have been trying to lift, took a lot of ibuprofen and got a severe stomach ache that's lasted for several weeks. I feel so old and decrepit! Today, I have plain old nausea from food.....with a one ounce pouch, that's not unusual at all. (Mine never stretched at all-).

I will be okay, Im sure. I have a huge kidney stone but no pain, and waiting to find out when surgery will be done. He cant "blast" it....the pain pump is in the way. I don't want surgery, but I don't want to lose my kidney. Caught between a rock and a hard place, for sure.

But....you know? I would NOT want to be morbidly obese again. I truly believe that without the surgery, I would have died. I like being thin. I like wearing a size 8 (Id be a size 6 except for old lady tummy!)

You may have a point...that there are more people like us but who are afraid to speak up. I know I was. I felt ashamed, that somehow I wasn't living up to all the great things we read about gastric bypass surgery. I had somehow "failed", by getting these complications. Plus, I didn't want to frighten newbies.

Ive spent the last month not feeling great - injured my back lifting something I shouldn't have been trying to lift, took a lot of ibuprofen and got a severe stomach ache that's lasted for several weeks. I feel so old and decrepit! Today, I have plain old nausea from food.....with a one ounce pouch, that's not unusual at all. (Mine never stretched at all-).

I will be okay, Im sure. I have a huge kidney stone but no pain, and waiting to find out when surgery will be done. He cant "blast" it....the pain pump is in the way. I don't want surgery, but I don't want to lose my kidney. Caught between a rock and a hard place, for sure.

But....you know? I would NOT want to be morbidly obese again. I truly believe that without the surgery, I would have died. I like being thin. I like wearing a size 8 (Id be a size 6 except for old lady tummy!)

You may have a point...that there are more people like us but who are afraid to speak up. I know I was. I felt ashamed, that somehow I wasn't living up to all the great things we read about gastric bypass surgery. I had somehow "failed", by getting these complications. Plus, I didn't want to frighten newbies.

I think your experience would be valuable to people making a decision as to what type of surgery would be best for them!

I think each person has to decide for themselves....based on knowledge. Honestly - I didn't do a lot of research before having the surgery. I read a few things.....not enough. I was quite desperate! And there weren't as many options in 2003, either. I have such mixed feelings about it. I guess, on the whole, I am glad I did it. But, for me, the side effects have been rather severe.

I thought cramping was due to insufficient Water

I have read thru ya'll ' s posts and so sorry about the problems. However, I totally understand. I had my bypass 2001 and since 2003 nightmare after nightmare. I have posted my issues in the complications blog. Long story short.....14 surgeries in 12 years for a variety of things...intussuspetion, perforated ulcer, numerous bowel obstructions and hernia repairs, removal of mesh used to repair hernias because of infection, sphintoplasty, gall bladder disease, kidney stones. I have no abdominal fascia just prosthetic mesh. They had to attach it to my hip bones and ribs because there's nothing else to attach it to. 2 component separations...separating and pulling muscles from my side across abdomen for reinforcement. Chronic dehydration and malnutrition even though I drink and eat. Unfortunately I have recently developed unexplained nausea and vomiting which just exacerbates the dehydration/malnutrition. I've ALWAYS taken supplements and have religiously exercise. I am 62 and have been told that nausea/vomiting is something I'm gonna have to live with along with pain from mesh. They medicate me for both and hospitalize when necessary. I'm now thinking of getting doc to refer me for consult at Duke because unknown reason for this is unaccrptable. They say this next step to finding out locally is surgery and my doc is reluctant to do that because I've had so much surgery and the last 2 (one 2 yrs and the last 3 months ago) were hard on me and the surgeon. I am weary. I have wonderful friends who have supported me thru this mess and support from my surgeon's office. I swim and if I ever got to the place I couldn't do that, I don't know what I would do. That's my peaceful place. I also have the best counselor ever. She has been with me thru all of this. I have regretted having the surgery. I have been angry with myself for making the decision. I have been angry with the surgeons that did the bypass because all of this is the result of their carelessness when they did the initial surgery. But what's done is done. I do have times when it is almost too much to understand. I am there right now. I guess it will pass. It has before. I've just never been this weary. And it's not if there will be more surgery it's when. So if you wonder if there's anyone else out there like you.....yes, there is.

I just wrote a reply on another thread about this. I was born in 1950. Had the RNY in 2003. I lost a lot of weight (too much, at one point-) but have had quite a few problems such as kidney stones and osteoporosis. And yes, I have followed the proper diet and taken the right supplements. Don't want to scare anyone, but apparently Im not all that unusual. I have mixed emotions as to whether I should have had this surgery. But I think I would have died if I hadn't. Its a puzzle. Anyone else out there who has suffered some of the severe post op problems like me????? How do you cope, manage, etc.??? Thanks.

Hi there. I'm 63 and six weeks out from rny surgery. Before having weight loss surgery, I had surgery to remove kidney stones and two sacral fractures due to osteoporosis (that's the bone you sit on). That all happened within two years. The way I cope, manage - I muddle on through.

I just read all the previous posts on this thread. Had not read them earlier. I'm so sorry you are having so many devastating problems. I wish you all the best going forward.