Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods I am afraid I will have to give up

Good Evening!

I plan on having VSG in April and am already trying to adjust my diet so it won't be such a shock to my system...eating lower carb, more Protein, lower fat etc. I also have very high cholesterol so there are some "heart healthy" foods that may not be sleeve healthy

There are a few foods that I am curious about...foods that I generally think of as healthy, but am not certain if they are sleeve friendly

Avocado/ Guacamole - One of my favorites! Good Fat, Heart Healthy...I can eat it by the spoonful! Would the fat content of this diet staple (for me anyway!) make it a no no? I was looking forward to Guac and Avocado being a big part of my post-op diet

Sweet Potatoes/ Yams - Another food I was looking forward to having during my soft food phase...also a substitute for white potatoes...but is it too much starch?

Corn Tortillas - I know flour tortillas will be out...but what about corn? Enchilada? Street Taco? Quesadilla?

Coconut Oil/ Olive Oil - Two comparatively healthy oils

Agave nectar - I have always believed a teaspoon of cane sugar in coffee or tea is better for me and better tasting than the chemicals. really don't like the idea of using chemical sweeteners (Splenda, Equal etc.) and I think Stevia tastes really "off"....I do, however, really like Agave Nectar..wondering if it is an acceptable sweetener compromise.

Spice - I am a Texas girl who lives in Green Chili country (Colorado). I love me some spice...Pork Green Chili, Texas red Chili, Jalepeno, Chipotle, Cajun Spice....I have always loved strong flavors...tangy, sweet, spicy, sour. I am worried my new tummy won't be able to handle it. I can deal with a month or so of bland food...but not the rest of my life!

Thank y'all so much for the info and guidance! I am so ready to get started and am becoming and WLS information sponge!!

My friend had had the gastric sleeve, and she still eats all of the foods that you listed. I believe the key is eating them in moderation. I can't imagine living without avocado! lol

I would think everyone is different so not sure your results will be the same but I hope so because I have had all of those in your list except the agave nector (just never tried it). I have found very few things bother my stomach, just like before surgery. If I eat something sweet it should be very little of it or I feel a little off . I do much better when I eat like they taught me. Protein first, veggies next, starches last (if there is room). I eat 5 times a day and never really feel hungry.

I would plan on doing no bread for a while, even corn tortillas. As far as Agave nectar, sugar is sugar. I think it has been seen as a healthy alternative to the high fructose corn Syrup that is in everything and has been so vilified. But it's still sugar. Have you tried Stevia? It's a non-chemical sweetener. Personally, I don't sweeten tea or coffee. (WHEN I CAN HAVE coffee AGAIN. AAARRRGGG.)

Avacados rock! And everything else looks good to me! :)

I've been told guacamole is out but avocado is Kosher but of course less of it.

Avocado/ Guacamole - Yes! Much smaller quantities 1/8th is enough to spread on a sandwich in place of mayo

Sweet Potatoes/ Yams - Great complex card. Eat 1/3 of a yam.

Corn Tortillas - You can but I'm skipping them all. Tacos rolled in lettuce wraps are awesome

Coconut Oil/ Olive Oil - In moderation

Agave nectar - STLL SUGAR. NO GO. Splenda tastes the best in my opinion and they have a brown sugar mix too.

Spices are fine, but not for the first few weeks.

Thanks Y'all! I should probably start learning to drink coffee and hot tea unsweetened....should also probably start weaning myself off coffee!

I am confused about yes to avocado and no to Guacamole....I make Guacamole with Tomato, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper and most that I have had is pretty similar....is it the acid in the tomato and lime juice that can be difficult?

Thanks Y'all! I should probably start learning to drink coffee and hot tea unsweetened....should also probably start weaning myself off coffee!

I am confused about yes to avocado and no to Guacamole....I make Guacamole with Tomato, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper and most that I have had is pretty similar....is it the acid in the tomato and lime juice that can be difficult?

I should have clarified that, my sister said that to me but I think she made it with a bunch of bad junk in it. It was pretty amazing. I think there was sour cream and butter or something. I like your guacamole recipe.

I should have clarified that, my sister said that to me but I think she made it with a bunch of bad junk in it. It was pretty amazing. I think there was sour cream and butter or something. I like your guacamole recipe.

Whew!! Thanks for clarifying :) Though I can see how sour cream could be an interesting and tasty addition!

I have half a small avocado in a green smoothie every single day, and have since about week six, if I remember right. I give credit to this healthy fat for keeping me from experiencing Hair loss commonly asskciated with WLS.

Really, after you are healed there is nothing (except carbonation) that has to be given up forever. And some will say they have returned to their carbonation. You will find perhaps that your tastes will change a bit.

For me, I gave up the "whites"....white bread, white rice, and for the most part, sugar. I dont do high fructose corn Syrup at all but that is because of GMO (scary stuff). I used the preop diet and food progression during healing time to really detox from the highly processed carbs like the whites, and now I finally feel free from their addictive grip. I do on occassion have a bite or two of corn tortilla, but i am still in my losing mindset, so I am following the Protein first rule. Theres just not much room for low priority foods like that in my tiny tummy :)

I would venture to guess the danger is more with the tortilla chips etc the guacamole is eaten with than with the avacado itself ...just my humble opinion ;)

I have half a small avocado in a green smoothie every single day, and have since about week six, if I remember right. I give credit to this healthy fat for keeping me from experiencing hair loss commonly asskciated with WLS.

Well that did it for me! The one thing I am really terrified of, possibly even more than the surgery itself, is losing most of my already thinning hair! I have started on Biotin and will now be continuing my avocado addiction!

Eating all of that, just being reasonable. I'm a Texas girl in New Mexico. Lots of green chile, avocado, healthy fats. I have the occasional small corn tortilla, but overall keep carbs down and have more Protein and fats. I can't eat more than one street taco and that not very often. I really enjoy it when I have one and don't feel guilty because I plan the calories and carbs for it.

I have to stay away from sopapillas and tortillas chips, tho. That's dangerous territory. And no more enchiladas lol!

You probably will lose hair but it will certainly grow back.