Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need a talipia recipe

I will try the Mexican fish tonight! I just made some homemade salsa last night, and have plenty of cilantro - I am always looking for good fish recipes that are low fat. Sounds yummy!

Sounds like you got a lot of good idea. I simply cook the filets in a little olive oil and sprinkle lemon pepper on it. That is the easiest and tastiest. Since the bad we eat 95 % of our meals as fish. It got my husband and I off red meat and I found that chicken and pork caused me to have problems. Now we usually have no less than 8 types of fish in our freezer. Tip here is never refreeze any fish that was previously frozen. We buy only fresh fish (labeled as such). We also never buy any frozen fish that shows China as the origin. If you can smell it, it is not fresh. If you still want to cook it, then put it in a ziplock bag with a little lemon juice for about an hour or more. The fish smell will be gone.:thumbup:

Let me know how you like it! I am anxious to hear....

I've made the fish twice since I last posted, loved it. I make homemade salsa with lots of cilantro, so it was perfect over the talipia.

I will be making this over and over again I'm sure - it was quick and easy - took me less then 30 min to get dinner ready and served on the table!

Can you share your recipe for salsa?

I would love to make some homemade....

Sure -

1 jar of medium pace picanta sauce (the regular - not the thick and chuncky)

1/2 medium onion

1 bunch of clinantro

3 good & ripe tomatoes

Jal peppers (put as many as you like - depends on how hot you like it - I use 2 but would prefer to use more but my family can't handle it that hot)

1 garlic clove (I buy the kind in a jar)

garlic salt/regular salt

I use Pace picante sauce to give my salsa a little more juice, and it adds a little more flavor, but you could use tomatoe sauce too.

Empty the pace salsa in large bowl, dice up the tomatoes, I usually hand dice 2 of mine very small and one of the tomatoes I put in the magic bullet with some of the cilantro and garlic and puree a little. I hand dice the peppers and a bit more of the cilantro and onion. Mix everything together - Then salt to your liking. I usually use a little garlic and regular salt. Refridgerate for a few hours to let the cilantro soak in to the other flavors - its delish. My family loves it and so does anyone I've made it for - they always ask me to bring my salsa at get togethers.

I use the salsa as salad dressing - and now as a fish topping :cry_smile: - I put it on my eggs - pretty much everything, but of course its good with chips, however, trying to avoid those:smile:

Edited by Sunshine2

When in my mushy stage I made this and loved it.

Get some of the herbed chicken stock. Poach the talapia in the broth along with sliced onions, summer squash and bell pepper. Add a splash of lemon and some pepper. Simmer until the veggies are tender. If the talapia is thin, start the veggies first, then add the fish. don't overcook the fish. It's VERY low calorie, moist, tasty and good for you. I can't eat dry fish. It sticks in my stoma and kills me. This recipe cured that.

This is my husband's fave tilapia dish...mine too.

lightly dredge fish in flour, shake off excess.

dip in beaten egg

lightly brown both sides in olive oil in pan (remove fish)

in same pan, add a little more olive oil if needed.

brown about 2-3 sliced cloves of garlic, add about a cup of diced fresh tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper to taste.

let that cook about five minutes then place the tilapia on top of the Tomato mixture and cover

let simmer on low for about 5 minutes so fish can absorb the flavor.

Plate the fish and serve the tomato mixture on top.

I eat tilapia all the time. Very, very high in Protein. These aren't exact recipes because I just kind of make them, but here's an idea of what I do:

Spray metal pan with Pam, season bottom of pan (I often use "Salmon Magic" - it's a combination of sugar, salt, garlic, mustard seed, etc., or "Cavender's Greek Seasoning). Place fish, spray top of fish with Pam, season top, bake at 450 for 10 - 15 mins. Always comes out moist and perfect.

Mix mayo, parmesan, asiago and sour cream. You can use Lite versions if you prefer. Put fish in a baking dish, top with mixture. Bake 450 for 10 - 15 minutes.

That sounds really good, might have to make that, even would be good with chicken breast I'd think, brandyII.

For times when you really don't want to cook, Sam's club sells an awesome Parmesan encrusted talipia. Bakes in 15 min, 230 calories per piece. I know that's a little high but it's so quick and easy and it's just about all I can eat for one meal.

Thanks, I don't have Sams Club but I assume Walmart's grocery dept. would have them too and I'll check it out. I love fish but I don't always cook it well myself! brandyII.

My favorite way to fix Tilapia (or Orange Roughy) is to mix one can of diced tomatoes with a tablespoon or two of olive oil. I then mix 3 tablespoons of Montreal Steak Seasoning in with the tomatoes. If I have time, I let it sit for an hour or so to blend the flavors.

In the baking pan, I put a thin splat of the Tomato mixture down for each piece of fish, put the fish on the tomato mix, then put more of the tomatoes on top of each piece of fish. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, until fish is flaky.

I don't like the tomatoes myself, but my husband and kids love it. The fish is delicious.