Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight gain

Howdy folks, I am 1 year 3 months out, I was 10 lbs from goal weight...had some devastating life changes, lost my bro, whom was my bff...I lost weight then gained 11 lbs back. I am struggling......just had a double mastectomy with the start of reconstruction, thank the good lord I did this prophyalactly, I don't have cancer, I have the cancer gene.....so needless to say I have been thru a lot of crap..this is not a pity party I am actually very strong emotionally and physically, I just fell off the wagon, while I am recovering I am extremely cautious of my calorie count since I cant run or use the elliptical for a while. Just had my surgery Jan 17th. I need to reconnect with fellow sleevers to help stay on track.

I guess I am looking for some encouragement...

Kimster

Wow.........I am so sorry for everything you have gone through..Life sure can be a B***H sometimes and we get caught in the middle....

I am hoping that you will get yourself on track but you have to feel what you are feeling..Grief not only for this surgery but the grief of losing your brother......This is awful!!!!!!

I admire your strength tremendously.........I am sure as things feel a little better you will get back on track......

Make sure that you feel everything you need to feel to get through these devastating setbacks and in the meantime....Be good to yourself and watch caloric intake....

Lots of Water too helps a lot.....

I wonder if I was in your shoes hun if I would do as well as you!!!!!!!!!!! Mt heart goes out to you.

Kimster

Sorry for the loss of your brother; that must have been devastating. You have had quite the time. But, how encouraging to hear you are looking for inspiration. Well dear, look in the mirror! You are moving forward, taking charge and not rolling into a ball on the couch. How brave of you. I am fortunate no cancer (knock on wood) in my family however my bosses wife,went through a mastectomy and chemo/radiation. I know it was tough on them, and hopefully you have reduced or eliminated your chance of that nasty disease.

So, as you have noted, you are taking care of yourself with each step you take, each and everyday. You have lost...Stay on the path, rock that sleeve, measure, weigh, eat clean. Make sure the food you put into your mouth will make a positive difference in your health and lord knows you must get that Water in! This surgery for better health you have gone through is amazing - you have come through that, you are worth continuing to get to your end goal!

Take care.

Wow, that is a LOT to deal with and I'm so very sorry about the loss of your brother. Also that is some scary stuff about possible cancer and the mastectomy, reconstruction and it would be HARD (for me personally) to take a break from working out...as I do get that endorphin high from exercise. I guess if I couldn't do my regular exercise, then walking in the sunshine might help clear the cobwebs from my brain.

I love what the others have suggested, and the only thing I can add is that you are over a year into this journey, put things on autopilot right now with eating. Use food as fuel and not as an emotional crutch. Keep things simple and focus on what you CAN do.

Remember that the sleeve is your tool for life, you can always use it when you are ready to keep on losing!

Thank God there's no cancer!!!! Sending hugs and blessings your way. Just try and stay focused on why you decided to have wls in the first place. Here's to you continuously being healthy. Best wishes.

Edited by Lady VS

KiMster sending cyber hugs to u. Stay in touch. Sometimes just writting your feelings helps u move through them. After surgery you probably feel weak physically and emotionally. But be encouraged as you look forward to a bright tomorrow. Try to stay strong. Lean on family and friends.

This strength of yours often amazes,

You deserve more than just praises.

With all you have been through, I hope you get rest,

Keep hope for tomorrow because you are profoundly blessed.

Welcome back and you sound like one strong lady....I have a feeling some of us may be turning to you some day....for me, keeping a journal of tough times helped me cope....

But I do know this forum is awesome and if you are looking for encouragement, inspiration and support, this is the right place.

My husband's cousin (a gynecologist in Chicago) also found out she had the gene and was one of the first women to get the mastectomy/breast enhancement at the same time. The NYT did a front page article on her about 6 or 7 years ago. Her boyfriend broke up with her because he couldn't deal with it, but she met another great guy, they married, and she just had her second child. She goes in for a hysterectomy in a few months as she just turned 40. Another amazing woman, like you.

Hi Kim,

Coming here often helps keep me on track. One of the most powerful things I've read here about emotional eating is "self-soothing, not self-sabatoge" I think the person who said that is no longer on the forums, but it's still a great mantra when the going gets rough. Helps me reach for hot tea with Splenda instead of a high calorie snack.

Lynda

So proud of your courage, Kim. You are proactive on many counts, (WLS and Boobies :).

So sad to hear of your loss. I know your norther would be very proud of you and that your good memories will help you through the dark times.

We are all here for you. Hugs and prayers. Just try to be vigilant about HOW/WHAT you are eating and graze. Your body definitely needs good stuff right now to recover efficiently. The extra few pounds will work themselves off once you are back up and moving.

Keep in touch.

Thank you everyone! You all "ROCK"

Kim