Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

ANOTHER QUESTION;

has anyone flown to Charleroi Airport en route to Dr De Bruyne?

I see that the flights are at more suitable times than those to Brussels airport....cheaper too, but that's not my real concern.

I'm wondering if Charleroi is much more inconvenient????

Damienne

Hi Skinnyirishbabe,

Thanks for the encouragement....as I explained when we met, I'm afraid I'm never going to be a 'bathing beauty' even with the band.......unlike you!!!

I'm not really sure what difference having this done will make to me and my life....but I suppose it's a case of 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'.(except kilos).

I hope to meet you again sometime...maybe you won't recognise me?

Damienne

Siepie: Welcome back. Glad you are doing well. You've had great weight loss already. Enjoy that not hungry feeling!!:tongue: Look forward to seeing you in June.

Elsie, how's the fill working for you? I m back on tiny portions of food but am eating more frequently (out of boredom, not hunger) but I'm still avoiding junk food. Hope you have some restriction this time! If not it'll be a flight to Brussels :eek:

Hi Ailbhe, well the fill certainly made a difference alright. Good or bad, I dont know yet. Having a few issues getting things down. I'm assuming its just me not chewing enough, even though I think I've chewed it to death. When I find something that goes down well, it doesnt fill me. Somethings get stuck and I end up in a lot of pain and go back on liquids for a while. Ah well, I knew this wouldnt be easy. You doing ok?

Lucky you going to Spain. Have a ball.

HI girls back from the wedding in Malta Alicia looked beautiful ,.weather ok not great could not eat or drink for 3 days ok now.I know my band is very tight but I do and I dont want a defill. I am losing about 3 pound a week but I am eating notting.I thing I might be anemic if I bang of anything I get a big black briuse I need to get some Iron in to me .I am afraid if I get a defill I wont lose the 3 pound a week you would think it would be moreI eat f--k all talk later terry

Hi Terry, welcome back. Glad the wedding went well. We must have another meet up with Allure and Alesha to see the wedding pix. Have you decided yet whether you will get a defill? The bruising thing doesnt sound good. Can your GP check your iron levels just in case.

Hi All,

Elsie, I have booked June 6th....fingers crossed!

I have a few queries about my arrangements.

(1)Do I need to fly out on the 6.50am 'red eye' flight... rather than the one arriving at 8.40 on the day before the op.?(the Dr. says I need to seee him at 9pm that eve. so I'm guessing I need to take the 'red eye')

(2)Do I need to see the Dr. before I go home ,after spending the night in the hotel?....i'm again wondering if it would be better to book the morning flight home(10 am ish) or the evening one (around 9pm)?

I would appreciate any advice on making these arrangements.

Later,I will be asking about what I should and shouldn't take with me etc.

Thanks everyone for all your help so far,

Damienne:confused::thumbup::confused:

Hi Damienne,

Glad to hear you have booked a date. The 6th June is a Friday I believe, which means thats the day after Dr. DeBruyne will be in Dublin anyway. Maybe you can meet him in Dublin and then get that late flight to Brussels if you didnt want to spend the day over there, rather than going to his office. If you got the late flight and went straight from the airport to his office you would prob make it alright. Its only a few miles away. I will send you a pm with some other suggestions.

Dr. DeBruyne does recommend a two week low fat diet. I dont think its a deal breaker for him though.

Alesha: I see you lurking there. Hope married life is treating you well!!

Marge: How you doing?

Elsie

ANOTHER QUESTION;

has anyone flown to Charleroi Airport en route to Dr De Bruyne?

I see that the flights are at more suitable times than those to Brussels airport....cheaper too, but that's not my real concern.

I'm wondering if Charleroi is much more inconvenient????

Damienne

Charleroi is a good bit furthur away than the other airport. If you're confident enough you could fly to Charleroi Airport, go out and get the bus to Charleroi train station (drops you right outside)about 10 mins from the airport then get the Antwerp train as far as Vilvoorde(about an hour away). The station is right across the road from the Campanile hotel so it's really handy. It took us a day or two to figure out the transport system but it's really good and really cheap too.

Ailbhe/Elsie, seems as if your latest fills have worked well for you both. Dr C doesn't seem to have any issue putting in more than 1ml at a time. I think ACS only go up 1 or 1 1/2 at a time. I have an appointment for a fill on the 29th of May in Pembrooke Street.

Terry, welcome back, glad the wedding went well, wow 3lb a week sounds great but don't put your health at risk, I'm with Elsie I think you should get your GP to check you out.

Damienne, good luck with your decision to have surgery, I think making the decision is half the battle so you are already half way to the new you.

SkinnyIrishbabe, sounds as if things are going well for you glad to hear it.

Roe, any joy since the last fill and the ordeal you had to go through to get it?

Hope all are well and hope to meet up with ye again soon.

Ger

Well, I'm back and doing very well really. I'm down 5.4 Kls which is great. My port wound is sore, no sign of infection just tenderness. The op went very well, in fact everything was really fine. Dr CdeB does make you feel confident even though he doesn't say much. Last night was the first time I felt hungry and I was dying for something savoury when I found a packet of crisps and ate them all no problem whatsoever. I'm back on track today.

Elsie Hope youre doing ok I was just wondering how long did you wait for your first fill? I'm a biy nervous about doing it too soon.

Marge

Hi Marge, Welcome back. I'm delighted it was went well for you. 5.4 Kgs is a great loss already.

I only had to wait a month for the first fill so I'm sure Dr. DeBruyne will see you when he is in Dublin on 5th June. He might have said that to you in the hospital but if not email him and see if its ok.

Glad your back on track now after those crisps. After the initial swelling in the stomach is gone most things will go down ok but I believe we have to go on liquids so the stomach doesnt have to contract to work at digesting food and give the band time to attach properly to the stomach or something like that. (Sorry, lecture over)

Best of luck!!!

Gerri: Yes, doesnt seem to be an issue with Dr Chris about putting in more than one ml. I think 2 is standard for the first fill and then he was saying after two months all healing is done so a good bit more can go in. I'm curious what he does for fill three. I reckon he might need to be more conservative with any ACS patients though. He has full historys on his Belgian patients and knows exactly whats going on with them. Good luck with your fill on 29th.

Elsie

Hi

Was wondering if there is anyone on this forum who after being banded started to feel in bad humour all the time. At times it feels there is no rationalising with me. Feel like I am going slightly mad. Don't get me wrong I used to be in bad form before being banded as well but I was usually able to kick myself out of it. It seems at the moment nothing can make me happy or in good humour.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Candp :party:

Hi candp terry here I think it is just lack of food, some food make you happy some put you in bad mood so maybe your not getting enough food, so thats why your in bad mood, is the weight loss no makeing you happy ok girls talk later

Hi

Was wondering if there is anyone on this forum who after being banded started to feel in bad humour all the time. At times it feels there is no rationalising with me. Feel like I am going slightly mad. Don't get me wrong I used to be in bad form before being banded as well but I was usually able to kick myself out of it. It seems at the moment nothing can make me happy or in good humour.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Candp :biggrin:

yes I find i'm in a bad mood more and i think it's cause i used to comfort eat when i was sad before and now i can't comfort (not properly anyway). I think you need a new addiction like the gym, unfortunatly mine's shopping. I've read other post on this site where people have become addicted to something else, maybe you should check them out.

today I went on a lunch date with a guy i met last weekend, he kept asking me if i wasn't hungry cause i hardly ate so in the end i told him the truth about the band. How do you deal with this? I'm open about my band all my friends and family know.

Skinny

I know what you mean.

I've been seeing a guy for 4 months and he has asked me about the metal (port) he can feel . I just told him I had a stomach operation and that is why sometimes I can eat when i'm in his company and sometimes I can't .

It is getting to the stage where I should be telling him the truth but am really afraid of his reaction. We are all used to the whole idea of bariatric surgery as it's part of our daily lives but others aren't. Don't know how to broach the subject at all......

Well done on your tremendous weight loss, fair play to you. I was done in Jan 07 and haven't got down 2 stones yet!

Gilly

Edited by Gilly

Question to all

I had a fill last week bringing me up to 4 and half cc's. Could eat a few yoghurts but last 4 days I can only keep liquids down.

The specific problem is that when I swallow - after chewing FOREVER- it feels like the food gets stuck in my throat as opposed to getting stuck at the band. I have been trying over and over to eat today as I am really hungry but I think I may be swollen now so will just stick to liquids for the next few days and see if that helps any.

When I eat liquids I have runny baby rusks/ runny weetabix/ yoghurts/ soups/ bovril.

Are these the wrong things to be having? Any tips or advice gratefully received...am really fed up this eve...

Thanks all

Gilly:sad_smile:

Skinny

I know what you mean.

I've been seeing a guy for 4 months and he has asked me about the metal (port) he can feel . I just told him I had a stomach operation and that is why sometimes I can eat when i'm in his company and sometimes I can't .

It is getting to the stage where I should be telling him the truth but am really afraid of his reaction. We are all used to the whole idea of bariatric surgery as it's part of our daily lives but others aren't. Don't know how to broach the subject at all......

Well done on your tremendous weight loss, fair play to you. I was done in Jan 07 and haven't got down 2 stones yet!

Gilly

Don't worry, the weight will come off it just takes time. I'm banded 10 months and still haven't reached my goal. Sometimes i can't believe how much I lost cause it's usually only a pound here or there and some weeks i don't loose but it all adds up. As for food getting stuck in the port, i still have that problem and avoid food i know will get stuck like red meat, chicken and bread.< /p>