Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I caved on the liquid diet

Hi All, I was banded 3/14/07 and was put on a clear liquid diet for 16 days. I did fine the first 7 days other than I wanted to sleep all the time, and than I got hungery. I tried calling my nutritionist a few times with no responce and I left a message I still haven't heard from her. I couldn't take it any more so I've eaten a little. I've had about 1/4 cup of racotta cheese, a soft boiled egg, and 1/4 cup of ff refried Beans, not all at once but over the past two days. I have felt fine no pain or anything, does anyone think I've done any damage by doing this?? I feel awful that I couldn't even make it through the inital stage. Any advice would be great Thanks. :think

You probably haven't done any damage (from what I've read on here), but try to get back on the wagon (so to speak) if you can until you hear from your nutritionist. You really do want to keep your stomach from trying to digest food. The "waves" the muscular stomach makes while digesting can cause stress on the sutures. Remember the lower part of your stomach is sutured up and over your band to hold it in place. the more the muscle contracts and moves around, the harder it is for sutures to "set" or heal in a moist environment. For a GREAT video of the band being placed (it helps to see it, that way you know exactly what's in there and how it's situated), check out: http://www.or-live.com/tgh/1593/

These guys really explain everything that's going on and why. Pretty cool webcast, IMHO.

Don't beat yourself up, just shake it off and pick up where you were. And call that PITA nutritionist again tomorrow.

If you haven't ecperienced pain, I doubt that you have damamged anything. However if you continue to eat soft foods while still in your first 2 weeks you could! So get back on the wagon. Isopure makes a clear liquid protien drink that you can buy. The protien from that will make you feel loads better :) And as soon as you are on full liquids go for the protien shakes!

I went through the same thing I made it through 7 days of liquids and wed. I called and as long as I was tolerating liquids I was advanced to soft proteins.....I was supposed to be on liquids 2 weeks....MISERY!!!!! As long as your not feeling pain I think its ok for you to do soft protein...my list includes...cottage cheese, eggs, Beans (white, red, or refried), fish baked or broiled as long as it is soft and chicken but I'm stayin away unless its pureed.... Good Luck.

xraychic, try and go back on your liquids as soon as you can. You probably haven't done any damage but it is important to heal. Good luck.

Just a note on chicken. It is a notorious food for many bandsters as being a real problem food. My only 2 PB's ever were on chicken. And one of those times I had no restriction! Chicken = Caution at least for me.

I think many of us have been there, too, experiencing real hunger for the first time in a long time. My doc said that for the stomach to heal after surgery, it is important to follow the liquid stages, but if it is absolutely unbearable, a little extra soft Protein chewed very well is ok. A couple of thicker liquids that helped me a lot was egg drop Soup and Nile Spice black bean soup. Both have a lot of protein in them, they go down easily, and they are much more satisfying than thinner liquids. Hang in there, and I hope you are able to get some response and encouragement from your nutritionist, too.

Hi there, I can complete really relate to you...

I was put on Clear Liquids for 14 days, but around the 10th day I decided to have one meal of thick liquids, namely some Soup, just to see what happened. It was fine, and from then I ate a few thick liquids but had some clear too. I've been doing so well my doctor put me on mushies a week early.

Every doctor seems to have their own idea of the post op diet. I've heard of people only being on Clear Liquids for three days before moving to thick.

It is doubtful that anything is seriously wrong since you are feeling well, but I would try to limit the mushies until I at least get to the doctor's recommended time for thick liquids.

Remember the lower part of your stomach is sutured up and over your band to hold it in place. the more the muscle contracts and moves around, the harder it is for sutures to "set" or heal in a moist environment.
I have never heard this before and this is not how the procedure was explained to me... can anyone else verify this? sorry.. :cry

It's important for the stomach not to have to digest too much as was explained above. You should at least try to do liquids that are no thicker than what you can suck through a straw. Most doctors say creamy liquids are okay, which includes cream of chicken Soup. You need to put it in the blender though so there are no chunks of chicken. Just blend the living daylights out of it. It will fill you up better.

X-ray chic

Don't worry hon...I did exactly the same thing...creamy mashed potatoes were my downfall but..be careful and try and stay on the wagon...you don't want to risk it...You'll be fine...

:) becky

Quote:

Remember the lower part of your stomach is sutured up and over your band to hold it in place. the more the muscle contracts and moves around, the harder it is for sutures to "set" or heal in a moist environment.

I think it depends on the doctor, but my doctor DOES suture the stomach over the band to hold it in place. It supposedly reduces the risk of slippage, and is becoming the 'norm'. Thus, I too will be on a two week clear liquid diet to prevent the stomach from contracting too much.

You can watch the video of them putting the band on and suturing it down.

It's facinating!

Xray chic, call back and ask to speak to Stephanie in Dr Singh's office. Once I spoke with her I got a phone call the same day from Ilana. From when I spoke to Ilana she said it was ok to have thinned down yogart, or Protein supplement drinks, but to keep it down to 1/4c of either. I did cave and have a soft boiled egg, but I kept it the consistancy of the yogart smoothie I was having. Just adding those few things in for me made it so much easier to stay with Clear liquids

Hi All, I was banded 3/14/07 and was put on a clear liquid diet for 16 days. I did fine the first 7 days other than I wanted to sleep all the time, and than I got hungery. I tried calling my nutritionist a few times with no responce and I left a message I still haven't heard from her. I couldn't take it any more so I've eaten a little. I've had about 1/4 cup of racotta cheese, a soft boiled egg, and 1/4 cup of ff refried Beans, not all at once but over the past two days. I have felt fine no pain or anything, does anyone think I've done any damage by doing this?? I feel awful that I couldn't even make it through the inital stage. Any advice would be great Thanks. :think

I couldn't hack it either. I ended up blending some refried Beans with some enchilada sauce. Never thought something so simple could be so great.

You will be fine - but try to stay on your doc's diet as closely as you can.

Good Luck!