Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 questions about WLS do's and don'ts

I'm a Bander seriously thinking about RNY surgery. My Surgeon suggested it as well as three individual Doctors of mine. I'm 5'4", 350. I'm all over the boards looking for advice, opinions and educated answers. I have some random questions...

1. After ( wayyyy after) RNY surgery, can you drink or at least sip c/f pop? Decaf coffee with cream and sugar (Dr told me NO artificial sweeteners)maybe flavoring like vanilla or mocha? EVER? I've had an unfilled band for 6 years and I gorge on these drinks, and food.

2. Sugar is COMPLETELY out of the question? How far does one go keeping sugar out of one's diet?

3. How do you handle the extreme flip flop of your relationship with food?

4. Can you eat things, again, wayyyy out that a Bander can't do?

5 How do you do it?! You're all so brave.

I can't wait to hear answers to these questions. I am a former bandster about to get gastric bypass.

I'm a sleever, but I did a lot of research on RNY as well. Not all RNYers dump with sugar, and for those who do, dumping tends to lessen or stop completely several years out.

The no artificial sweetener is your own surgeon's rule, not a RNY (or sleeve) rule. Most sleevers and RNYers use artificial sweeteners at least sometimes.

Different people react to carbonation in different ways. I have had a few sips of beer and coke and it didn't kill me, but made me feel very full and burpy. Not worth it to me.

I'm praying more people will post here. I have to hit the sack. See you tomorrow!

Hi I'm 15 months out RNY

I drink coffee daily for the first 6 months only Decaf then I as flared to have 1 cup of regular each day, I use Creamers I watch the sugar grams or get the sugar free version.

I have not had an soda nor do I crave it.

I dont eat anything that has more than 6-7 grams of sugar. I dump on anything higher.

I really watch my carb intake

I'm a size 6 sometimes 4 5'4 weight 129 hoping to get to 125. HW 225.

I know what too eat now and I don't feel like I am missing anything.

I think sodas/pops can stretch the pouch over time because if the expansion of the gas.

I think because after all WLS we are prone to reflux, gastritis so coffee being a contributing factor is the reason is it limited or stopped altogether.

I think, like someone else said, the artificial sweeteners is own surgeons personal objection....however there are studies to suggest that aspartame is bad for us and promotes false hunger.

I bought various flavored Tourani syrups and use them to flavor my decaffeinated coffees or use them in my Protein shakes/pastes. I will probably give them up after the surgery.

Good luck x

I do wish Stevia in its pure form were used more widely.

1. After band surgery can you drink or at least sip c/f pop?

my dr advised me no carbonation...though i read some do..i choose to follow my dr's instructios

2. Sugar is COMPLETELY out of the question? How far does one go keeping sugar out of one's diet?

sugar is is a lot of things..but i try to not intake as much as i can

3. How do you handle the extreme flip flop of your relationship with food?

all i did was eat high calorie, high processed, greasy, salt foods...once i detoxed on my pre op liquid diet,

i realized how hirrible ingesting that garbage made me feel and want made me super morbid obese

4. Can you eat things, again, wayyyy out that a Bander can't do?

i am 19 months post op with lap band and plication and i can eat whatever i want...i chew a lot, go slow

and just eat very different things now mainly because i want to

5 How do you do it?! You're all so brave.

i was having trouble wiping my butt and i was as wide as i am tall........i HAD to

hope i answered as you requested ok

GIrl, I've known you since the LBT days from last year! WOW. I think I was "pkb"? How's my Southern gal doing, is the sleeve working better for you?

Only YOU would see no problem admitting number 5, or should I say, 2? LOL. :lol: I am now having that problem, I have a teeny standing shower that I barely fit in and doing a proper shower is very difficult. I've come to panicking when I have to take a shower, no joke, I have asthma and sometimes I get all worked up and can't breathe. Butt what you said may hit a chord amongst some people here. I don't think we are the only one's. Good you brought that up.

Hope life is treating you well. You have that Carolina sun, while I'm in a thawed out Buffalo Blizzard.

As far as relationship with food. I see a therapist once a week.