Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about protien shakes

I'm 4 years post opt Lapband and fell way off track after having a baby .. My band ima as tight as aloud but I'm always hungry .. I'll eat like 5oz of chicken be full than about hour later super hungry again like hunger pains.. So here's my plan I'm gonna do Protein Shake in morning 75g Protein .. Than 5oz of white chicken chili with quinoa for lunch than if I'm super hungry another shake 75g of protien than dinner later meat n veggies.. Am I doing to much protein? Any thoughts to helping me stay full

Your best bet is to consult with your doctor and the nutritionist?

shake Protein is good if you need the Protein but it slides right through the band without much effect on the valgus nerve. Hard Proteins and veggies should be the choice to give you the satiety you need.

Fluids don't offer much in the line of peristalsis of your esophagus so you need to consume denser low glycemic index foods to give you the satiety we need.

Lastly, full is not the sensation we seek. Satiety, lack of hunger is the goal. And how do you know you're as tight as allowed? If you eat properly and the band isn't giving you the satiety you want you may need a little adjustment?

tmf

I guess I shouldn't have said full cause I know were supposed to be satisfied .. And I can't cant consult a doctor or nuticinist I don't have insurance anymore n my new job doesn't offer it so I'm on my own n I have no money to pay out of pocket to see one.. The problem is I eat high Protein .. But after an hour I'm hungry I try to drink the hunger away but i swear the Water makes me more hungry Lol and I end up eating a lot more thru out the day cause I'm so hungry I get shaky .. I dunno I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place I guess

The last time I got a fill was a few months ago right before I lost my insurance and he said that's as tight as he will go n he won't make it any tighter from now on ..I have a 10cc band he told me he put 9cc in

you may have to go through a period of band hell. remember that? go on a 2 day liquid and 2 day mushies, and than add some solids. but really concentrate on keeping whatever you are eating at a cup or less a meal. 3 meals a day. 60 grams of Protein is usually all that is required but that is where a doctor is needed. every doctor is different. but not 75 in one shake. that shake must have a million calories. keep track for just awhile while you are adjusting to less food. keep your calorie count to 1000-1200 a day. 60 g of Protein a day, 5g of fat per meal, 15-30 of carbs. per meal, you need to retrain your brain. i wish you luck

The last time I got a fill was a few months ago right before I lost my insurance and he said that's as tight as he will go n he won't make it any tighter from now on ..I have a 10cc band he told me he put 9cc in

I will tell you I can't eat 5 oz of Protein at one meal, if you are not getting satisfied after eating 5 oz of Protein and other veggies, to me, it sounds like you are not at your green zone, the reason why are getting hungry.

My surgeon told me that he can safely GO OVER 10cc in a 10cc band IF NEEDED, so I think you need to get another opinion on that one.

The ONLY reason a surgeon may be hesitant of filling your band tighter if you've had band slippage in the past and you will have some issues going tighter...but a 10cc band CAN safely GO over fill capacity.

75 gm of Protein per day? I don't think you meant 75gm Protein per shake....

I read somewhere the body cannot process more than 55 gm at one time, the rest gets flushed AND can overload your kidneys...35 may be high, but that is what I have every morning...

I have been taking a morning high protein smoothie ever since being banded...not to loose weight, but for nutritional value...plus my band is tonight every morning and it is a challenge to get anything solid down....

The amount of protein and nutrients I get from a single shake....try to match that with solid food and it would be impossible. especially for someone whose food intake and portion sizes are restricted due to weight loss surgery...

Protein drinks are the craze right now...all my friends are doing it for Breakfast, and they have not had WLS, nor are they fat...just health and fitness minded....you can make your own, and also find them for sale just about anywhere...I buy a brand called "Naked" in the produce section of our grocery store, and always have a few in the fridge for those days I'm on the run....

It's none of my business....but you say you have 9 cc in a 10cc band....with all respect, something does not sound right...did they actually verify that last time at the Dr.'s?

I would insist they do, NOT by reading the chart, but by actually pulling it all out, measuring it in the syringe, then replacing it with fresh clean saline....My Dr. used to do this every visit...you would be surprised at the discrepancy's they found from time to time...

Also, do you not feel ANYTHING when you swallow? Can you tell the band is even there? My band speaks to me with every swallow,...even straight Water if I drink too fast too much at one gulp....the band does keep my eating techniques in check...I have to do it correctly or else...

Like I said, 9cc's....something is not adding up somewhere. Get back to a Dr. ASAP....

Edited by B-52

I agree with B-52, if you are truly at 9cc in a 10 cc bad and still that hungry between meals, something is wrong. It sounds like your "diet" is a good one, supplementing between meals. But most shakes would be too high in calories to have two a day between meals. I think that you should try, veggies, or something else that you can tolerate, but not a whole shake, they are like 200-300 calories each! Best wishes, maybe you can call the surgeon's office! Or, do they have a group meeting that you can attend? Best wishes to you, Karen..aka..kll724

I read somewhere the body cannot process more than 55 gm at one time, the rest gets flushed AND can overload your kidneys...35 may be high, but that is what I have every morning...

I have been taking a morning high protein smoothie ever since being banded...not to loose weight, but for nutritional value...plus my band is tonight every morning and it is a challenge to get anything solid down....

The amount of protein and nutrients I get from a single shake....try to match that with solid food and it would be impossible. especially for someone whose food intake and portion sizes are restricted due to weight loss surgery...

Protein drinks are the craze right now...all my friends are doing it for Breakfast, and they have not had WLS, nor are they fat...just health and fitness minded....you can make your own, and also find them for sale just about anywhere...I buy a brand called "Naked" in the produce section of our grocery store, and always have a few in the fridge for those days I'm on the run....

It's none of my business....but you say you have 9 cc in a 10cc band....with all respect, something does not sound right...did they actually verify that last time at the Dr.'s?

I would insist they do, NOT by reading the chart, but by actually pulling it all out, measuring it in the syringe, then replacing it with fresh clean saline....My Dr. used to do this every visit...you would be surprised at the discrepancy's they found from time to time...

Also, do you not feel ANYTHING when you swallow? Can you tell the band is even there? My band speaks to me with every swallow,...even straight Water if I drink too fast too much at one gulp....the band does keep my eating techniques in check...I have to do it correctly or else...

Like I said, 9cc's....something is not adding up somewhere. Get back to a Dr. ASAP....

Yea I can't really eat solids in the morning if I do I always get stuck doesn't matter what I eat it how I chew 90% of the time I get stuck .. A few months ago I brought this to my doctors attentions about me being really hungry in between meals so he said I may have a leak or slippage . he had adjusted me 4 times before this ..so he emptied me out the last time I got filled there was 7cc he said that's what he took out n I had no leakes n no slippage but I did have a little pouch stretching but he said it wasn't enough to be concerned .than he refilled me to 9cc n said that's a full as he will allow it. And I ment 75g of protein. And I def know my band working cause I can't eat solids first thing in morning and if I eat to fast or don't chew properly I'll get stuck .. And I can't chug Water either . and I can't see a doc or nutricinist .no insurance n I have no money . until I find a job that offeres it or I get some with Obama care it may be years before I'm able to see a doc again. For me to pay out of pocket for a visit would mean not paying rent ..anyways thank u for your advice I'm gonna scale back and not do 75g of protoien I just wants sure if it was enough or not but now I know its to much :-)

Thanks terry and nana maybe I'll just go back to liquids for a week n start over.. N he checked me for leaks n slippage said I was fine .

Thanks Karen .. I don't have a support group well non local at least . so I figure I'd come here for some help. I'm gonna try n find something in between to curve my hunger that I don't get stuck on.. I have to to a shake in the am tho cause I can't eat solids . but it won't me 75g now I didn't realize that was to much n ur right the calorie count is to high

Yea I can't really eat solids in the morning if I do I always get stuck doesn't matter what I eat it how I chew 90% of the time I get stuck .. A few months ago I brought this to my doctors attentions about me being really hungry in between meals so he said I may have a leak or slippage . he had adjusted me 4 times before this ..so he emptied me out the last time I got filled there was 7cc he said that's what he took out n I had no leakes n no slippage but I did have a little pouch stretching but he said it wasn't enough to be concerned .than he refilled me to 9cc n said that's a full as he will allow it. And I ment 75g of protein. And I def know my band working cause I can't eat solids first thing in morning and if I eat to fast or don't chew properly I'll get stuck .. And I can't chug Water either . and I can't see a doc or nutricinist .no insurance n I have no money . until I find a job that offeres it or I get some with Obama care it may be years before I'm able to see a doc again. For me to pay out of pocket for a visit would mean not paying rent ..anyways thank u for your advice I'm gonna scale back and not do 75g of protoien I just wants sure if it was enough or not but now I know its to much :-)

You mentioned:

he emptied me out the last time I got filled there was 7cc he said that's what he took out n I had no leakes n no slippage but I did have a little pouch stretching but he said it wasn't enough to be concerned .

Having a slightly dilated pouch (which is considered mild band slippage) can explain your extreme hunger and why you have a large amount of saline, but yet still hungry.

When the pouch gets dilated, the surgeon can keep filling your band to very high fill capacities and you will still feel hungry....hence why are your still hungry with 9cc in a 10cc band....and why your surgeon is reluctant to add more saline at this point because it may cause complications...

Many people have to surgically fix a dilated pouch because sooner or later it will render the band useless..you can STILL have tight restriction and still get hungry with pouch dilation, been there and done that...I know it is very confusing....

Edited by NaNa

You may also want to try Protein Bars as well for a snack, cheese sticks are also good. Good luck.