Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stopping BC or Hormones before Surgery - What about Mirena?

I just read that my surgeon asks that his patients stop all birth control pills/ Estrogen/ Progesterone 2 weeks before surgery....would this include an IUD/ Mirena?? I just got that sucker in there and my body used to it! Heck...I haven't even had the opportunity to take it on a "test run"....please tell me I'm not going to have to remove it and go through the serious pain of having it reinserted!

<I, of course, will talk to my surgeon about this at my next visit...but I thought y'all might have some insight or perhaps have had the same issue come up :) >

I have a Mirena too (4 years now) and it is on my list of questions for my gynecologist appt this week. My surgery is scheduled for 1/31/14.

I have been reading posts by Sleevers stating that they had difficulty losing weight with the Mirena. One person stated that her GYN said that 60% of her patients with Mirena complain of not being able to lose weight! I am considering having mine pulled early (due to come out Sept.) and replace it with one that has no hormones. The last thing I want to deal with is going through with VSG only to continue to have difficulty losing weight!

But, to answer your question, others on this site did not remove their IUD's for the surgery.

I had a Mirena when I had my surgery. I've had no complications from it.

My surgeon requires birth control for her patients. I have the Mirena (going on 7 yrs. now) and while I do think it had something to do with some of my weight gain, I am keeping it in for now. If I find I can't lose weight, I will have it removed. I've only been weighed once since my surgery, so we'll see how it goes when I get weighed next week!

Thanks Y'all!

I know I should be more concerned about losing weight with the Mirena...but, honestly, I'm not. I thought long and hard about the Mirena and feel it is the best option for me until I hit menopause, which will probably happen in the next 5-10 years, so if I lose weight a little slower, I'm okay with it. I can't imagine the low hormone dose will completely overcome a teensy tiny stomach and complete overhaul in my relationship with food.

I have the Mirena and haven't had problems with weight loss but I heard some people do. I asked both my surgeon and my gyn and neither of them thought it needed to be removed for any reason. I'm 4 months post op and have no problems with it.

I have the mirena as well and have had it for 9 years. I had surgery last week with the Mirena in my surgeon said it was fine. And in the last 9 years I was able to lose weight on various diets I tried. I just always ended up gaining it all back plus some.

I'm freshly sleeved and I have had the Mirena for 3 years. my surgeon was very glad to hear that I have reliable bc post op because of the high risk of pregnancy. He recommended that his female patients use at least 2 forms of bc (hormone +barrier) for the first year post op. So far I've had no complications with the implant.