Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Bout New Zealand

Is there anyone out there that is from New Zealand. I have just joined this website - thanks to another friend who told me about it. I was just wondering if there were any other kiwi's out there. I have just had my banding op on the 8th March 07, so it all rather new for me. Just gone on to the mushy food stage and excited about that. Some normal food that I don't have to drink - YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see we have our own little area, albeit not many posts yet!

I was banded 20.3.07 so just new to it all, but feeling great.

Still on liquids for another week then onto the much looked forward to mushie stage!

Mashed potatoes has never sounded so good, with gravy!

Kazzy

Hi guys, I just got banded in Auckland on March 28th. Still got nothing but liquids ahead of me for a little while yet (joy!)

All good though.

How are you guys doing?

Cate

Hi, I'm in Wellington and I'm having my surgery on April 18th so I'm a bit behind you guys. I'm due to start my pre-op diet in 2 days and I'm getting quite excited about it all.

Anyway, this is my first day on the site and I'm glad to see there are some Kiwi's here. :girl_hug:

Hi Pinkbar,

have fun with the optiyuk - get through the first 3 days & you'll find it bearable. :girl_hug:

How are you other guys doing? I'm on day 5 post-op & getting fed up with liquids already!

Cheers,

Cate

LOL! Thanks Cate. I just tried the vanilla and yuk is right!! I'm hoping the chocolate tastes better! I can't imagine 6 weeks on this stuff right now!

Hi again Pinkybar (your name is making me crave chocolate lol!)

Try this link: http://au.messages.yahoo.com/health/lap-band/

It is another board I am on, & their top thread is for people on the Optifast stage - they have some great ideas for adding flavours. Personally, I used very cold Water & whizzed it in my magic bullet before sculling as quickly as possible! I would be hanging for my serve of brocolli & cauliflower with some salt & lemon juice of an evening!

Those were the days...now it is liquid all the way for another week or so! I'm using Miada Protein drink (a NZ company) & various Soups this side of the band & my treat is frozen iceblocks.

Hang in there!

Cate:)

Hehe, I was worried pinkybar might have that effect! My name's Ellen anyway. ;)

Thanks for the link. I will go check it out.

Hey Kiwis - Happy Easter!

I'm going to enjoy a taste of Cadburys on Sunday lol!:nervous

Drive safely!

Cate

Hey there,

Well I am pleased to see there are some other Kiwis on here. Great to finally have some others around. Well I must admit the Optifast diet for you guys - is Yuck. I used to make it with cold Water and add frozen berries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. That makes it a lot better and they go well in either the chocolate or Vanilla flavour. The first week will be the hardest, then it will get easier. for a week and then after the op - you won't feel hungry. I am now at the stage of going back on to solids. So far so good. Nothing has got stuck so far, mind you I have to chew the hell out of my food before I swallow, but nice to feel normal again. Looking forward to sucking on some chocolate for easter - not too much mind you. Well I hope you are all doing good. Lets keep up the contact.

Regards to all

Dale

HI Dale,

nice to "connect" at last. I've seen your posts on the Marchies thread, but it is nice to have our own little NZ thread.

SO your transition to solids is going well? Did you gain at all when you went from liquids to mushies? Alot of people seem to & as I start that transition this coming Wednesday, I'm trying to mentally prepare for that.

Cool that you were able to have surgery in C/Church too. I'm in Auckland & have to drive from one end of the city to the other through all the traffic to get to the doc is enough of a hassle, so I can only imagine the headache it would be having to come here from the SI!

Take care,

Cate

PS hope the Optifast is going ok Ellen!

Hey there Cate

Yes the solids is going well. Feel like a normal person now. Haven't had any troubles so its all good, I just have to take it easy. I found going from the fluids to mushies I didn't gain weight but I stopped losing, which got me really worried and then by half way thru week two of mushies the losses came back. I have now lost 14.7kg, so feeling really good about it actually. It is great that they have started doing the op's here in ChCh. I was Number 1 for it here. So catching up with a few people who are in the process of just getting their operation dates. Which is really good to have them around, just sometimes I do wish there had been someone else who had their op the same day as me and we could of gone thru it together, oh well I know I am not alone with it though.

I am sure you will be fine with you transition on Wednesday, just don't eat too much and keep up your Water. You should be fine - even if you can manage a wee walk each day will help too.

Well all the best with it and let me know how you get on.

Regards

Dale

HI Kiwis,

well I transitioned to mushies a couple of days early, but all is going fine - although I do feel a bit of pressure in the chest of an evening. Weight loss has certainly ground to a screeching halt though (mainly due to a couple of easter eggs which were enjoyed over the past couple of days methinks! :rolleyes)

Anyhow, hope everyone else is doing fine.

Cheers,

Cate

:hungry: LOL this is me, I lost my little restriction can you find it for me!

I'm sorry have not been back to the Kiwi thread for quite some time, but here I am, can I gatecrash back in on the party?!!

Nice to see some more Kiwi banders, we will so have to have a get together, that would be great!

All is going well here except my hunger is back, I have lost 6.5kg in just under 1 month, I go for my first fill on Wednesday and cannot wait to get rid of the cravings again....

Anyway welcome all, I will keep popping back in now I know we are all about, and to those about or soon to be banded, be great to have you on the Kiwi Losers Bench!

Kazzy (Hamilton)

hi guys,

Cate I am so excited to hear that you were able to have easter eggs!! Nice one!

I did too. :) Infact I cheated terribly over Easter. I have been really struggling badly with the pre-op diet. :) I was so shocked at how much I craved food once I wasn't allowed it. I really felt like I was an addict trying, and failing, to detox. I figure that's because it's probably true!

For some reason I am back on track today and I haven't cheated. Somehow today it just doesn't seem that hard to stay out of the fridge. My mind has finally stopped working against me! (for now anyway)

I also weighed myself today and I'm pleased that despite my efforts to ruin my diet I have lost 2.6kg. Hopefully I will lose a bit more before the big op day arrives!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are all doing so well. :)