Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I just received a horrible phone call from my doctors office. According to them the hospital is closing down the bariatric program "because bariatric surgery is not in the hospitals future plans" and that means no surgery for me! I was scheduled for a week from today and have been doing a 2 shake and one meal diet since the 1st of the year!!!!!!!! So I called the hospital CEO and they told me that the office is staying open until April and I should not have to miss my surgery. Well I called back my doctors office who is now telling me the Hospital is lying to me, yes they are staying open until April but only to help patients(who have already had surgery) transfer to new clinics, so that they can get hooked in with services for fills etc. and that the hospital halted their surgery rights. At this point I am raging mad! I have worked so hard since July!!!!!! I do not think it is fair to call someone right before hand and tell them oh, too bad you are going to have to start all over somewhere else! I did get an appointment in Denver, (about 1 1/2 hours away) to restart, I can't but feel like maybe this is a sign that I shouldn't do this, or that I dodged a bullet. I have a hard time believing that that is why the office is getting closed down? Northern Colorado Medical Center is supposedly a nationwide center for bariatric excellence. ugh, discouraged and just plain pissed off! I don't know exactly what my rights are, but I have called the patient relation liaison and I will be filling out a grievance! And believe me I am very persistent, so don't be surprised if you see my fat ass on the news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by RSifers

wow that sucks and like RJ said go get them...

So I'm confused...your surgery was scheduled by your doctors and by the hospital and now they are canceling the whole thing?

The whole thing seems fishy to me. You go after them, and get to the bottom of it! Maybe also let your insurance company know what's going on so that you don't have a problem with them and starting a new place AND so they can flag that hospital and surgery group as NO good!

I'm pulling for you, give 'em Hell!

I can understand your frustration. But this is a temporary setback. You have many other options such as Poudre Valley Hospital, McKee in Loveland and North Suburban Med Center. Has your doctor offered to re-schedule with another surgical center. You may have to wait a few extra days but it's so worth it.

As far as Karma or( I can't but feel like maybe this is a sign that I shouldn't do this), I'm not much on fate. It could be it's good you're not having surgery in this Hospital as this could be a sign of other internal problems you'll probably never know.

Chin up and good luck.

Who is your doc?

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

I'm so sorry for you. I know how mad you must be, and I would feel the same. it's a huge emotional undertaking, and then, to be cut off at the last minute??? UGH!!

Unfortunately, I think we're going to be seeing more & more of this due to Obamacare. Many insurance plans are dropping bariatric coverage all together, so the hospitals supporting it will take a hard hit. It sucks!

Again, I'm so sorry. Please don't take this as a sign that you shouldn't be having the procedure. This isn't the universe telling you anything. It's f-ing Obamacare that has changed insurance coverage. If you want to file a grievance, file it with the White House :angry:

Edited by mrsto

Thanks Ladies! I have taken your advice and put a call in to Poudre Valley Medical Center, so just waiting for a call back from the coordinator of that program. I didn't know they even offered it in Loveland, which is only about 20 min from me. I am going to continue to stay on track with my diet and goals. I just ate half a bag of chex mix and it did not feel good. I realized I wasn't feeding my hunger, I was feeding my anger. I hope that is a sign that even though I was feeling really deprived on this diet, I was not physically deprived, just mentally. Thank you for all of the support and well wishes. I guess I will just see what happens with all of this...Robi~

Thanks Ladies! I have taken your advice and put a call in to Poudre Valley Medical Center, so just waiting for a call back from the coordinator of that program. I didn't know they even offered it in Loveland, which is only about 20 min from me. I am going to continue to stay on track with my diet and goals. I just ate half a bag of chex mix and it did not feel good. I realized I wasn't feeding my hunger, I was feeding my anger. I hope that is a sign that even though I was feeling really deprived on this diet, I was not physically deprived, just mentally. Thank you for all of the support and well wishes. I guess I will just see what happens with all of this...Robi~

Robi...It is just under the surface that we may always want to turn to food for comfort from every emotion that we feel..It is what we learned from the beginning....I am so glad you are going forward with this decision as this tool will give you time to fix your head and help your body at the same time....

Keep us posted K.....Glad you found a place to help you!!!!!!!!!

If Dr. Johnell is your doc, he used to have privileges at McKee, Good Samaritan(Lafayette) and Aspen Med Center.

I am sorry that the hospital where you were scheduled to have surgery decided to pull out of bariatric care. It seems strange to me, as WLS is a growth industry, if you'll pardon the pun. But who knows why hospitals make these screwy decisions. And no, I am not buying that it is strictly because of the ACA. Hospitals and insurance companies were pulling all kinds of f*ckery long before the ACA came along. :P

Anyway, I am sure that you will find a wonderful facility and surgeon to perform your surgery. You may have to go a little out of your immediate area, but that isn't such a bad thing. :) I live almost two hours from my practice. It wasn't terrible. An extra bump of pain meds got me home happily and comfortably the day of my surgery. Yes, it's a bit of a pain to drive that distance for check ups and aftercare but it's a nice excuse to visit the city, do some shopping, have a day out of my small town. Find the silver lining, don't give up. This isn't a sign that your surgery isn't meant to be, it is just greedy *ssholes being greedy *ssholes. Don't let it affect you. Move on, do your thing. :D

Wow, it is awful what is happening to you no doubt. On the flip side I think it would suck even more had you just had surgery and the office closed down. Surgeons can really be wary when it comes to someone's after care of a surgery they were not even part of. In some ways as frustrating as it is maybe it's a blessing.

Good Luck. Hope you find your answers.

That's jacked up...get 'em girl! If it's any consolation, I can't see a new provider making you start all over again, just have your records transferred.

@ toomuchfun Dr. Johnell is/ was my doc. I just went in to get my records and asked about the other hospitals. They told me that he just has fill clinics there and doesn't perform surgery there.

I agree Jim, now that I calmed down a bit that makes perfect sense. And pretty thick1 , I hope that is the case!!!!!

And I am not sure about how things have changed since the implementation of the ACA or if this has anything to do with it. All I know is our insurance got better from it.