Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what's the longest with the band

I had severe pain last year on my left side as well as it would not hold a fill. They could not find a leak. I had exploratory port surgery and the port got infected thus my band was removed. Devastating after 10 successful years. I am waiting for vertical sleeve surgery. I have a friend who has had her band for 14 years pretty much trouble free.

I had severe pain last year on my left side as well as it would not hold a fill. They could not find a leak. I had exploratory port surgery and the port got infected thus my band was removed. Devastating after 10 successful years. I am waiting for vertical sleeve surgery. I have a friend who has had her band for 14 years pretty much trouble free.

Ooh I'm so sorry to hear that, and wish you the best on your next journey.

10 years here! Very happy with it. I would like to lose 20 more lbs. But am thrilled with my loss and the band.

I was banded in March 2001, just before it was approved in the usa. I was living in Germany at the time where it had been common for awhle by then. I had it removed in Sept 2011, so just over 10 years. I did have alot of complications and had to have all Fluid removed in 2003. I should have had the band removed then too but i was just too... discouraged and disappointed.

I didn't get good support and guidance but also I think the bands were tighter/smaller then because I had alot of issues with reflux, vomiting etc even with the Fluid removed. I am glad they are better now.

This is interesting to me. I have had my band 5 years and have just started having some problems that I haven't had before. I have done okay, although I haven't reached my goal. I gained 15 lbs. in the last 6 months. I had very little restriction in the last several months. For example, I could eat a 6 inch subway sub, in the same amount of time as others that I was with. I called my surgeon and he said I needed to go behavior modification groups. I didn't go. All of the sudden in the last few weeks, my band has gotten very tight. I am waking up with horrible reflux. I am throwing up food if I have more than a couple of bites or if I eat too fast. I had only gotten something stuck 3-4 times in 5 years, but now it has happened daily. Maybe from that irritation, I am now finding it difficult to drink. I waited two hours after eating a small amount of chicken last night, but the Water wouldn't stay down. It took me over an hour to get down a Protein shake today. Part of me is glad that I am not able to eat much at all now, but the fact that liquids are causing reflux and coming up is concerning. I probably need to make an appointment soon.

Sounds like it is time to make an appt with your Dr Hokiemama. Wish you luck and hope you do not find any great problem. Are you by any chance from the Blacksburg area ? Your name makes me wonder.

Thank you @mountaingal. I went to college at VT and grew up about an hour from there. I'm trying to hold off on an appointment a little longer but I couldn't even get coffee down this morning, so if this continues, I will have to go.

I don't mean to be an alarmist bit after my band slipped I was told it could cut off my ability to drink and require emergency surgery...the least pleasant kind of surgery. I am not saying that is your issue but please be seen ASAP. Chances are it is nothing major but better safe.

Thank you @mountaingal. I went to college at VT and grew up about an hour from there. I'm trying to hold off on an appointment a little longer but I couldn't even get coffee down this morning, so if this continues, I will have to go.

Well, I ended up in the ER yesterday. I couldn't get any fluids down and decided I shouldn't wait. They removed the Fluid from my band. They said I needed to wait 4-6 weeks, then come back and they will look at it under X-ray to see how things look before determining if I can start getting Fluid back in....

Fortunately, it gave me instant relief. AND I had NO reflux last night while sleeping. I didn't realize how miserable I was and I was just trying to deal with it. Now, I feel so much better! I have never been so happy to chug water! I will have to be careful over the next couple of months not to binge and gain weight.

Thank you for your support!

When coffee won't go down, that is my sign that my band is not adjusted right.

It is difficult as it seems to tighten over time with no fills...

Then I loosen it for two or more months.... This last loosening was in June. I gained 8-10 lbs.

tomorrow is a fill so I am fairly sure (after all these years )that I will go down 10 lbs in the next month or two

And so begins the dance again.⏰