Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mirena slows weight loss?

I'm almost 6 months out and decided to have the mirena put in about two months ago. Since then, I've only lost about 10bs. Im starting to believe that the mirena has slowed my weight loss significantly. I'm definitely not done losing weight and I am now considering having the mirena removed. I also noticed my hair starting falling out after the mirena was placed, thankfully I have thick hair.< /p>

I was doing great until the mirena, down 70lbs before I had it placed. I specifically asked the doctor if it could pose any problems losing weight and I was told no. Anyone else experience problems with the IUD after surgery?

sw 272, current 195, 5'6.

I have Mirena and so far so good. All MD's I've discussed this birth control with seem confident that it does not cause weight gain.

I had mirena put in 4 months after vsg an lost no weight the whole two months it was in its been out six weeks Iv lost 12 pounds...Im now on depo

I just made the phone call to my doctor to set up an appointment! Wanted it out yesterday, but it'll be the end of next week. It can't come soon enough!!

Besides not losing weight, it's painful during intercourse...ready to be mirena free!

I had a new mirena inserted right before my wls and I had and have no trouble with losing or gaining weight. It was a big concern for me but I was having a lot of bleeding due to menopause and after the surgery, I bleed some and then it stopped completely. haven't had any bleeding for the last 18 months... Love it.... :P

I have had the mirena for 4 years now and I'm not having problems with weight loss. Now pain after it was first inserted is a different story. I think my body tried really hard to reject it. I could feel what I thought were the strings pulling all the time. Even went in twice to have them trimmed. Intercourse was painful for a little while. After my body finally adjusted things got better. I no longer feel it during intercourse or otherwise. Maybe your body just needs time to adjust.

My nutritionist and my OB both say that although Mirena doesn't cause weight gain, patients do complain about not being able to lose. My OB said roughly 60 percent of her Mirena patients complain about trouble losing weight. I have one but am having it removed soon.

Waiting at the doctors office to have my mirena removed. Decided to double check my weightloss progression on MFP...down only 2lbs in the last month. I know this is the right decision now! Still have about 50lbs to go. Ready to jump start my loss again!

Oh yeah-slowed my weight loss and took my libido in the toilet. The doctor also paired it with estrogen patch stopped that quickly, my appetite went thru the roof. Did stop my periods. I'm now menopausal. Will be coming out soon. Good Luck

Just an update...I've lost 6lbs since having the mirena removed three weeks ago. The last and final month I had the mirena in, I only lost 3lbs total.

It's made a huge difference having it out. My hair isn't falling out anymore and I'm not craving bad food. I'm so glad I made the decision to have it removed...ready to get to goal!! Only 9lbs till my next goal...175.

I've had the mirena since two years before my sugery - and my loss has been significantly slow as well. I wonder if there could be a link there ... Keep us posted. Thanks for the information!

I've had my Mirena IUD for around 2.5 years, I'm three months out of surgery and down a little over 50lbs. Maybe that's slow by some standards but I'm happy with it (half way to goal!!) and my birth control.

Bump! Hows it going so far with weightloss? Did things speed up? I had my mirena inserted when I was 1 year post op. In less then 6 months I have gained 10-12 lbs Have done pretty much everything to lose it. Plus I've been a little emotional roller coaster. Oh yeah, my face and hair is always oily. I've had the clearest skin my entire life and now I have acne. I have an appointment to have it removed this Saturday so I have my fingers crossed I loose those 12 lbs.

the things you learn in the powder room! you are great. now I know more about sex toys and birth control makes you fat. wow. now I recall that the years I was trying the patch and other added hormones are the years I went over 200 ! thanks for the insight. sleeved 3 mos ago and working my way down.