Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Explanations!

Now that its been a month since I was banded, possible fill 1/22, I've also decided to go partial vegetarian. If I can't handle bacon, ham, or pork (and do not eat steak, seafood or fish), I had to find foods higher in Protein. I've found sliced veggie soy that is to be "turkey" or "bologna" deli slices. I can have one slice and a tablespoon of hummus spread on. I've recently been asked 100 questions about "what's that?", no pizza, chips, etc etc etc. I finally said its not in my diet. I was a little overwhelmed I was being hassled over food!!! I didn't hassle anyone asking why two slices of pizza, a plate of Doritos, 2 cups a soda!!!! Co-workers had that, I had hummus/veggie deli slice.

When you mention partial vegetarian, I get, why? I like meat, what about fish, blah blah blah!!!! Very frustrating.

and so it is why ppl that have had wls doesn't tell everyone. apparently i just don't care what other ppl think. prior to surgery i worried what ppl thought about what and how much i was eating for a obese person so now i can care less what ppl think about me. iam thinking a long your line of thinking. after this last fill meat doesn't have the appeal it once did. i have books ordered to help me understand vegetarian Protein choices and how to cook and prepare them. and hummus is so good. certainly your co workers know what that is. i loved hummus even before i had surgery. yummy. and hummus can take on any flavors you want it to have. cheryl has great ideas on vegetarian dishes. good luck and no apologizing for what you eat!!!!!

I am not vegetarian but I have a very dear friend who IS vegetarian in the truest sense of the word. He eats NO meat, fish, or animal products at all. For him, it is part of his religious background and beliefs. Until I met him, I never knew anyone who was strictly vegetarian so I had no idea the frustrations one might face as a result. I had known people who only ate fish or chicken or who would eat foods containing eggs or milk. Anyway, he has taught me a lot. I asked him a lot of questions when we first met more than 10 yrs ago and he quickly became frustrated with me until I explained to him that I was simply trying to learn and get to know him, his lifestyle, and belief system. He was very patient with me after that and has been very kind in teaching me about those things. I think he was just so used to people berating him over why he doesn't eat meat that he assumed that's what I was doing too. I had no intentions of berating him or questioning the validity of his lifestyle. I was simply curious about what he could/couldn't eat, how he managed to get enough Protein, and how he managed to get complete proteins(I had recently taken nutrition, microbiology and anatomy and physiology) so I knew that a true vegetarian has to eat a variety of foods in the appropriate combinations to make complete Proteins. It had been puzzling to me how they would keep up with that sort of thing so I asked him about that. I also wanted to know, since part of his reason for living this lifestyle was religious, how/why they believe what they believe and had asked him to show me/teach me the parts of the Bible that teach that. He's been very kind and patient with me over the years(thank goodness) but in addition to all of the things he has taught me about his vegetarian lifestyle, he has also shared with me some of the "attitude" that he catches from people about the foods he chooses to eat or not eat. It's sad really. I mean, what business is it of anyone else as to what the next person is eating or not eating? Another cool thing...thanks to him, I now eat veggies and have learned to try lots of new foods that I would've never ever tried before :-) He is one of a handful of people who have helped me learn to start focusing my eating habits on eating healthy foods and eating to live rather than living to eat.

I haven't tried steak since banding, I did have problems with pork chops but I believe it was my own fault. I eat chicken, ground beef and fish regularly. If you want to become a vegetarian that's fine, but just so you know, lots of people with the band eat meat. Some even eat steak. I also manage bread and fruits and veges fine. I don't do apple skins, but I do apples.

There is nothing wrong with being a vegan and no one needs to know why. I make my own black bean burgers that are good but also in the vegetarian frozen foods they have many burgers, ribs, chicken patties that are very good. I don't mind being a vegan. meat just doesn't work for me most of the time. I don't miss it. I still eat eggs and dairy but meat no. Once in a while I will eat some salmon but other then that I am a happy vegan. I have learned to appreciate food instead of being a hog and eating a whole pizza. That is past for me. There is nothing better then some Beans seasoned to perfection. My cabinet where most people store canned goods and other things are full of Beans.

I was a vegetarian for 17 years. Now I eat poultry and fish and some red meat, but not pork. Even pre-band I just didn't eat it -- couldn't eat it. It's amazing how many people think this is a religious decision and want to make a "thing" out of it. Um, no, I just don't eat that.

The great thing about the band is the listening to our bodies -- when I do this, I really do know the difference between a craving from that old mindset of overeating or the need/desire for something particular that my body must need. I'm learning to trust that.

When I first got banded I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to have dairy afterward, at least not cow dairy. I have had various issues with dairy over the years and I think of it as an excluded food. But it turns out I am okay with dairy, at least for now. Since it's been a major trigger food for me in the past, I know I need to be watchful, but I like it that I can be "friends" with cheese and not feel overriding compulsions for more, more, more.

Hi Coach!

Good for you for listening to your body and eating healthy.

People are funny about other people's eating habits! It seems they sincerely don't really "get" that it's really none of their business...but for those who are simply curious, maybe the term "partial vegetarian" makes it confusing.

So, if you decide to respond at all, maybe saying you eat mostly vegetables and Protein would take away the mystery that draws them to comment! And when offered something you don't eat, a simple No Thank You is sufficient.

If they persist, you can always try giving them the "look"-- like they have two heads or something.

I don't pursue it, but I've had impulses to turn on someone and ask why they are so curious about what I'M eating. Of course, doing that would just continue the thing I'm not wanting -- keeps the focus on my food. So, I keep things lite and let their actions/comments be THEIR thing, their issue, not mine.

And as others have said, eat what is good for YOU - you owe no explanation to anyone :)

Sounds like you're doing well!

~hiddn

It's amazing how many people think this is a religious decision and want to make a "thing" out of it. Um, no, I just don't eat that.

It doesn't matter why a person chooses to be vegetarian. Religious reasons or not, No one should ever have to feel the need to defend their healthy lifestyle choices. It's kind of like the OP mentioned all of the "junk" food that coworkers were eating. No one ever asks why you're eating chips, pop, pizza, etc. I remember when I first started my 6 month supervised weight loss plan that was required by my insurance before they would approve my surgery. I was taking my lunch to work every day and I was eating lots of vegetables and salads and such. Every day for weeks on end people would ask "Why are you eating THAT?" Ummm, because I like it. And because it's better for me than my usual crappy hospital cafeteria choices. And I want to live a long, healthy life and my old choices just weren't cutting it. Geez.

The same can be said of our choice to have WLS. It's a choice that we made and we shouldn't have to defend it to the world. Yet, how often do we end up doing that? I'm fortunate in that most of my family was very supportive but I know a lot of people aren't supportive of WLS at all. My own brother asked me if I was sure it was a good choice and was very concerned about me having it done. His was a genuine concern out of love for his sister(we're very close) but he couldn't understand why I needed surgery. He was terrified of something going wrong in surgery. He asked me if I couldn't "just diet" to lose the weight. He's one who can diet and easily and quickly drop a bunch of weight. I'm not so lucky. Once I explained to him the health problems I was developing as a direct result of my weight and lifestyle(I'm a nurse and tend to take care of everyone else without sharing my own problems with them. I'm very private like that)..anyway, he has been supportive but I think he just needed to be certain I was making the best choice for me. I have noticed though that people always feel the need to offer their opinions on the matter. And my opinion is this: my body, my choice, it doesn't effect anyone else. It's none of their business. Period. Same goes for those who choose a vegetarian diet/lifestyle. It's their choice and none of anyone else's business.

I told everyone at the hospital I used to work at that I had lapband surgery. WTH was I thinking. I had more food monitors and aggravation that one day when they made their daily visit to the lounge to see what I was eating for their approval I told them in a not so nice way that I am effing sick of all of you monitoring my lunch. I have done fine without any of you picking out my food for me and stop asking me how much weight I have lost you can see it can't you. So they all were offended but I told them you shouldn't even feel bad for me telling you. I am just sick of it. How many times do I need you to tell me I am making good choices. People will sometimes make you say things that you really wouldn't have said because they need to mind their own business. When I moved to another city no one knew about my surgery. They just think that I eat weird things. But it's better then explaining every day of my working life why I eat what I do.

It's amazing how many people think this is a religious decision and want to make a "thing" out of it. Um, no, I just don't eat that.

It doesn't matter why a person chooses to be vegetarian. Religious reasons or not, No one should ever have to feel the need to defend their healthy lifestyle choices. It's kind of like the OP mentioned all of the "junk" food that coworkers were eating. No one ever asks why you're eating chips, pop, pizza, etc. I remember when I first started my 6 month supervised weight loss plan that was required by my insurance before they would approve my surgery. I was taking my lunch to work every day and I was eating lots of vegetables and salads and such. Every day for weeks on end people would ask "Why are you eating THAT?" Ummm, because I like it. And because it's better for me than my usual crappy hospital cafeteria choices. And I want to live a long, healthy life and my old choices just weren't cutting it. Geez.

The same can be said of our choice to have WLS. It's a choice that we made and we shouldn't have to defend it to the world. Yet, how often do we end up doing that? I'm fortunate in that most of my family was very supportive but I know a lot of people aren't supportive of WLS at all. My own brother asked me if I was sure it was a good choice and was very concerned about me having it done. His was a genuine concern out of love for his sister(we're very close) but he couldn't understand why I needed surgery. He was terrified of something going wrong in surgery. He asked me if I couldn't "just diet" to lose the weight. He's one who can diet and easily and quickly drop a bunch of weight. I'm not so lucky. Once I explained to him the health problems I was developing as a direct result of my weight and lifestyle(I'm a nurse and tend to take care of everyone else without sharing my own problems with them. I'm very private like that)..anyway, he has been supportive but I think he just needed to be certain I was making the best choice for me. I have noticed though that people always feel the need to offer their opinions on the matter. And my opinion is this: my body, my choice, it doesn't effect anyone else. It's none of their business. Period. Same goes for those who choose a vegetarian diet/lifestyle. It's their choice and none of anyone else's business.