Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol?!

Im almost 3 mo out and ive been having red wine 2 to 3 times a week since 4 weeks out. One glass about 6oz. No problem what so ever.

I definately need to find this out as I enjoy drinks with friends and will have to be MIA until cleared. Has anyone had any negative effects?

Not that I'm proud of it and don't want to seem like an alcoholic but I've been drinking just two weeks post op. I can't remember the guideline, but it was more explained to me as an empty calorie drink and since you're not eating/drinking that much at this time they wanted to shoot for maximum weightloss. I can't do anything carbonated, well maybe a sip or two of my finances beer. Usually I pass whatever I'm drinking over to him to finish anyways (more to save calories and that I really no longer want that much. Tolerance has significantly decreased too which is a good thing right? I'm definitely not a good example and this is probably a contributing factor for the stalling of my weight loss.

Above all else, follow your doctors recommendation above listening to people who cheat ;).

(Banded 12/16)

At what point did your weight loss stall?

My doc told me i couldn't ever have alcohol again and that I couldn't even cook with it. Doesn't effect me though because I don't ever do either of the two.

At what point did your weight loss stall?

It stalled when I came off full liquids and started on the puréed.

Not that I'm proud of it and don't want to seem like an alcoholic but I've been drinking just two weeks post op. I can't remember the guideline, but it was more explained to me as an empty calorie drink and since you're not eating/drinking that much at this time they wanted to shoot for maximum weightloss. I can't do anything carbonated, well maybe a sip or two of my finances beer. Usually I pass whatever I'm drinking over to him to finish anyways (more to save calories and that I really no longer want that much. Tolerance has significantly decreased too which is a good thing right? I'm definitely not a good example and this is probably a contributing factor for the stalling of my weight loss. Above all else, follow your doctors recommendation above listening to people who cheat ;). (Banded 12/16)

Oh ok! How much have you lost so far?! I think everyone hits that same stall! I stalled for like 15 days and havent drank anything yet. I set a goal of 60 days for myself lol I was sleeved on 12/20. And theres no way I plan on giving up alcohol forever, beer maybe. Have you gotten drunk? Or just had a drink or two here and there?

From what my dr. told me not sure if this is just with RNY or with any weight loss surgery but he said it can cause ulcers in your stomach and intestines.. Ironically I tried a few shots of vodka and some moonshine around 4 months post op and low and behold I got an ulcer.... I also had the H. Pylori bacteria in my stomach that can also cause ulcers so who knows?

Oh ok! How much have you lost so far?! I think everyone hits that same stall! I stalled for like 15 days and havent drank anything yet. I set a goal of 60 days for myself lol I was sleeved on 12/20. And theres no way I plan on giving up alcohol forever, beer maybe. Have you gotten drunk? Or just had a drink or two here and there?

I lost 6 lbs pre-op, then 8 lbs post op... after that, I've been battling the same 1-2 lbs over and over. My BMI was 35 at the start of my surgery so that's something else I have to keep in perspective when I hear of others amazing weight loss. It's started moving again. Right now with the band, I do not have any restriction. I'm hungry all the time and can eat my pre-surgery amounts. I can't wait till I get my first fill this Friday to limit what I can eat / drink better. That's one of the problems with the band is that weight loss is slower than the sleeve. lol.

I don't drink every day. Typically I stick with wine or spirits as beer is too carbonated. When the carbonation finally leaves it's warm and not that great. I've only gotten "drunk" once. My fiancé made me a small cocktail. I drank that slowly over 2-3 hours and then I asked for another one. I ended up pouring out half as it made me sick. Primarily, I've only had 1 drink here and there. I've actually started buying the cheap mini bottles of wine to keep the portions in check.

I lost 6 lbs pre-op, then 8 lbs post op... after that, I've been battling the same 1-2 lbs over and over. My BMI was 35 at the start of my surgery so that's something else I have to keep in perspective when I hear of others amazing weight loss. It's started moving again. Right now with the band, I do not have any restriction. I'm hungry all the time and can eat my pre-surgery amounts. I can't wait till I get my first fill this Friday to limit what I can eat / drink better. That's one of the problems with the band is that weight loss is slower than the sleeve. lol. I don't drink every day. Typically I stick with wine or spirits as beer is too carbonated. When the carbonation finally leaves it's warm and not that great. I've only gotten "drunk" once. My fiancé made me a small cocktail. I drank that slowly over 2-3 hours and then I asked for another one. I ended up pouring out half as it made me sick. Primarily, I've only had 1 drink here and there. I've actually started buying the cheap mini bottles of wine to keep the portions in check.

Oooh gotcha. I didnt realize you had the band, your dietary restrictions are prob different than ours. But good luck with the fill on Friday!