Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do people say Revision patients lose slower

It's a long story. The short version is my band was contaminated in the OR and I had an infection the entire 2 years with my band. The long version is 6 weeks post op, I developed a seroma at the port site. My dr drained the seroma and confirmed staph infection but said I must of contracted it in office. We tried a round of antibiotics but it didn't get better. I ended up hospitalized for a week, and after an endoscopy I ended up having the port removed and a picc line, wound vac and home health care nurse. It was torture. <br> 8 weeks later I had a new port put in on the opposite side. The port incision never healed. It leaked a bodily Fluid for 2 years. My doctor kept saying that my body was rejecting the port and that it would heal. It never did. I did get two fills during that time but it became risky and too painful. The port incision was constantly partially open, irritated and leaking. I had to wear big bandages every day because it would constantly leak through my clothing. <br> Finally one day the port started to break through my skin under the incision. It was actually visible through a hole that developed in my stomach one night. I could see the white silicone port. During this time, I lost my insurance due to divorce. My dr couldn't help me. I paid 120 for an office visit for him to tell me I needed to have the band out but I needed insurance for it to happen. <br> I can't express to you the mental anguish I was in. The picc line and wound vac from years before was bad, but this...seeing the port and praying it just didn't come out every day...it was bad. <br> I found a different dr the next day, had to wait till the end of the week to see him. He looked at my wound, called the hospital and got me a room and I was admitted immediately. I had a few days of antibiotics and then the band was removed. It was 80 percent eroded and had left a hole in my stomach. He wanted to revise to RNY at the time but couldn't due to damage. <br> He said that the band was alway infected. Probably from the ER. He said that I should have never been left to leak like that for 2 years with an open wound. It was disheartening.

Hello, my husband had a very similar experience as you. We have never heard of it happening to anyone else so it was surprising when I read your story. His was infected from day one. The doc did nothing for years. Finally it got so bad that emergency surgery was required. We relocated and which ultimately saved his life because he went to a different doc. The band and port site were infected. The band ate a hole through his stomach and his organs grew around the holes preventing sepsis. He could no longer stand up straight. He was in the hospital for a month and nearly lost his life. The original surgeon from a private practice never took the appropriate precautions. I too have the band but have never had any complications.

Hello, my husband had a very similar experience as you. We have never heard of it happening to anyone else so it was surprising when I read your story. His was infected from day one. The doc did nothing for years. Finally it got so bad that emergency surgery was required. We relocated and which ultimately saved his life because he went to a different doc. The band and port site were infected. The band ate a hole through his stomach and his organs grew around the holes preventing sepsis. He could no longer stand up straight. He was in the hospital for a month and nearly lost his life. The original surgeon from a private practice never took the appropriate precautions. I too have the band but have never had any complications.

Wow. I thought I was the only one!!! I experienced severe pain with it but I always thought I was having over the top gas pain. It was a miserable time. Did you guys ever take any legal action? I had a realize band.

I'm glad your husband survived.

I, too, used to have the band. I had about 2 years between the time I had all of my Fluid removed (due to a band slippage) and the day I had my RNY conversion. It has seriously been the best thing ever. I was so worried it would be this huge life change and it simply has not been. I guess I was comparing it to the awful experience I had with the band and NEVER being able to eat anything normal and certainly not even drinking before 2 pm. It simply has been a very much welcomed change into normal eating. I don't feel like I've been a slower loser due to the revision. It has been 6 months since my surgery and i am down 82 lbs with about 20 more pounds to go until I'm at my goal weight. Best decision ever for me. Good luck to you!

Wow. I thought I was the only one!!! I experienced severe pain with it but I always thought I was having over the top gas pain. It was a miserable time. Did you guys ever take any legal action? I had a realize band.

I also had the realize band. My friends that have been successful with the band all have the lap band I think that's what it's called.

I think after the drastic weight loss and ups and downs with the band, that my body has learned how to run off very little fuel. Granted, I still lose, but yes, compared to my peers who had virgin surgery at the same time, my loss is slower. Compared to what I lost after getting banded, my loss is slower (but much less miserable)

This makes a lot of sense.

Like any dieter wls or not, we all lose loads during the first weeks and then it slows up.

X

That is inane!! I thought I had l problems. I am so glad that it's out!! My band moved up and down there were days I couldn't drink anything until 7 at night. Then there were days I felt like I could eat a horse. Then the port would flip itself that was painful. I could feel it flip port side back and then flip back port to front. Again I am glad they finally got your taken out.

Who did your lap band?

X

The band has been an interesting experience for me and my husband. I can't believe it has been about 6 or 7 years since I had it done. I had to do the Opti fast liquid for about a month and Atkins for about 6 weeks and I barely lost any weight. I think I ate so little on Atkins that I was in starvation mode. I also went to the gym during that time and I only lost a few pounds before my surgery. Weight loss has been a tough road for me. I've always starved myself all day for fear of "waking up the beast" then consume most of my calories at night. I'm not of fan of regular food but instead I'm a carb queen. The band has in my opinion exacerbated my bad habits. It causes me to drink my calories because of tightness. It has made it easier for me to make bad choices and continue my night time eating. Having said that 50 lbs is 50 lbs. every time I go to the doc I lose weight instead of gain. It may only be a pound here and there but it's better than a lifetime of gaining. I'm looking forward to the bypass. In hindsight I should have done the RNY in the first place. I definitely fear losing my friend sugar/carbs but I am also so excited to eliminate it as well. I know it won't be easy but I'm up for the task. I look forward to being healthy more than anything else. I'm looking forward to eating calories instead of drinking them. My biggest fear is I will be the one person who does not lose weight. I eat so little now and barely lose. My body is so accustomed to starvation. Having had the band first makes me fear it all the more. I've enjoyed reading your responses and am encouraged by the results you all have experienced even with the conversion. This was a long one, lol. Thanks for reading all the way through.

The band has been an interesting experience for me and my husband. I can't believe it has been about 6 or 7 years since I had it done. I had to do the Opti fast liquid for about a month and Atkins for about 6 weeks and I barely lost any weight. I think I ate so little on Atkins that I was in starvation mode. I also went to the gym during that time and I only lost a few pounds before my surgery. Weight loss has been a tough road for me. I've always starved myself all day for fear of "waking up the beast" then consume most of my calories at night. I'm not of fan of regular food but instead I'm a carb queen. The band has in my opinion exacerbated my bad habits. It causes me to drink my calories because of tightness. It has made it easier for me to make bad choices and continue my night time eating. Having said that 50 lbs is 50 lbs. every time I go to the doc I lose weight instead of gain. It may only be a pound here and there but it's better than a lifetime of gaining. I'm looking forward to the bypass. In hindsight I should have done the RNY in the first place. I definitely fear losing my friend sugar/carbs but I am also so excited to eliminate it as well. I know it won't be easy but I'm up for the task. I look forward to being healthy more than anything else. I'm looking forward to eating calories instead of drinking them. My biggest fear is I will be the one person who does not lose weight. I eat so little now and barely lose. My body is so accustomed to starvation. Having had the band first makes me fear it all the more. I've enjoyed reading your responses and am encouraged by the results you all have experienced even with the conversion. This was a long one, lol. Thanks for reading all the way through.

I felt the same way the band. I hated not being able to eat or drink for fear of the beast. I couldn't eat or drink anything when it would move up until around 7 pm. Then I would load up on carbs. I have lost 90 pounds so far which is good. I am always thinking I should be losing more I should be down to 130 not 165. Major fear that I am the one that is not going to lose the weight. Even after losing 90 pounds. I have worked my rear end off for the last 6-7 months and can't seem to get below 165. I'm a size 8/10 I am so happy in my skin now. I can't help feeling like I should lose more.

Starvation doesn't actually occur unless you have less than 7% body fat. If you have more than that your body can take the calorie deficit and won't hold onto fat for fuel. Have you had your thyroid checked? Goodluck on your new journey! Make sure to express your concerns with your doctors.

I had a Realize Band as well. The band slipped about 8 months in to the top of my stomach causing the stomach to prolapse. I had the band removed and had RNY a year later. I believe I am a slower loser. I had RNY surgery 8/22/2013 and have lost 64 pounds to date. I have had no trouble at all with the RNY. I wish in hindsight I had RNY first. Live and learn I guess. I can eat pretty much what ever I want but I have to chew, chew, chew. Good luck in your Weight loss journey and we are all here if you need us.

I also had the realize band. First placed I. Oct 21 2009 the port flipped before I could get a film so it was fixed dec 30 2009. Before I could get a fill it flipped again and my dr stopped doing surgeries and moved two weeks after my second surgery. I went to a new dr and found out my band had been placed to far up and could. It be filled. Then the fight with the insurance began. Lol. Finally got my band removed and bypass done the same day this dec 31 2013. This is the first time I have heard about revisions making you lose slower. My dr or nutritionist never mentioned this. I'm 1 1/2 months out and have lost 50 lbs though so I'm happy. I did lose the first 25 in 8 days though. The last 10 have been very slow. Good luck to everyone.

Omg! I don't feel alone anymore! I had a horrible time with the Lapband. Put in 2007, don't even know what kind it was. 1st time I went to get it filled port was flipped; surgery again! Went to get it filled again band had a leak:(; surgery again!! Fixed!! Had to wait longer to get filled because of possible tissue damage, then what do u know surgeon moved:( new surgeon filled me once. Then my insurance was cancelled. For a year it was fine and I got insurance again then all of the sudden I couldn't eat anything or even drink anything. The band slipped really bad made my stomach to the shape of a mushroom. The new surgeon replaced the band with a new band, it was supposedly an even better band. Yeah rite!!! Got my 1st fill no problem went to get second fill when they checked to see how many cc's was already in the band there was nothing in there! Band leaked out!!!! Doctor said I had to get an upper GI. I was so mad, sad, disappointed u name I had it! My sister and I got it done at the same time and she has never had a problem. I left that place didn't go back. Forward a year or two; I went to another hospital because I was in my 2nd trimester of pregnancy and having complications not caused the the band had to tests done they told me I needed to get the lapband removed because it had slipped! Had to get it removed by the doctor that put it in (2nd doctor which BTW has a god complex). Finally in mid 2012 he removed the band after a couple of months after having my baby! Woo hoo or so I thought! Turns out the self proclaimed wonderful doctor left the tubing inside! In the beginning I had no problem with the tubing, but little by little I started having stomach pain drs were uncertain that it was the tubing because it's designed to be in the stomach. The pain became consistent to the point of not being able to take deep breaths in order for me to breath I had to press down hard on the area of pain . There was no way in hell I was going back to the "god complexed doctor" I decided to go to the hospital where I had my son. I was dying had emergency surgery by the weight lose surgeon "my hero" Which BTW will be performing my RNY if god permits. And here I am......ready for my next chapter!what do u guys think?

Oh my you poor thing you've been through the ringer. So sorry to hear of the trouble you've had.

Oh my you poor thing you've been through the ringer. So sorry to hear of the trouble you've had.

Meintraining how are you? How's your journey going?