Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Previous sleeve patient making me nervous about post-surgery

I'm currently 1 1/2 months out from lap-band surgery (*HOPEFULLY*) from a 12 month coach program because of insurance requirements. My fiancés mom had the sleeve 2 years ago and will only tell me the negative from her experience.. it doesn't seem like shes trying to discourage me, but more like scare me (?), maybe? i'm not sure. she originally lost around 60 lbs, but then started to gain because she constantly Snacks on chips and nuts because most other food gets 'stuck'

my question for you all: what foods get stuck the worst with the band? are there anything I should avoid eating altogether? It looks like I may try to go low-carb for the most part, only because I get very bad heart-burn/gerd when eating large amounts or carbs (fruit included). What are your favorite meals?

I just want to be prepared as possible for this experience so I can be as successful as I know I can be. I have about 120 to lose, so I know I need to be diligent during this process and not get discouraged easily.

Guest imperfect1974

I was banded in 2012 and have lost 150 pounds..........................I avoid breads, pizza and Pasta....................and anything I cant chew up to fit down a straw.............my best advice for you is to eat slow and chew..................you will figure out what ur body likes and dislikes...............trust me. :) Dont be afraid - its your time to shine babyyyyyyyy

Hi Betty,

Welcome to the forum. Let me say first thing that you are going to get a million and one answers to your questions. The bottom line is that everyone is different.

There are some things like bread, Pasta and rice that are consistent with most bandsters as a stickler. Though there are some that are able to eat those things in moderation.

Depending on the level of restriction in your band, (and this does not mean that food sits on top of your band just that it moves slowly through the stoma your band creates) you may have some issues with meats and you may not.

I am in the green zone and I am able to eat just about everything in moderation. It is usually the eating mechanics of not chewing well enough or waiting between bites, eating too fast, and drinking and eating at the same time that cause hang ups for most bandsters.

If you practice your eating mechanics and you are compliant with your band you will be a great success. As far as foods go it's going to be trial and error and a matter of taste of what you like and dislike. What works for you after banding and what doesn't.

Sleeve patients have it a bit different then banded patients in their mechanics and the way they digest food. They do not have the capacity in their stomach any longer and their process is forever changed. Not so with the band.

I have band and plicaion which mimics the sleeve to a degree without the removal of the stomach and even with this procedure the process of mechanics and digestion are different.

Do lots of research, and check around this forum you will find so many helpful posts, articles and tips.

Best of luck to you! Don't be shy to ask questions and share your thoughts. That's what the forum is for.

Edited by lisacaron

​Congratulations on being banded. I love the band. As far as foods getting stuck, everyone has their stuck foods. I get stuck when I eat too fast or the pieces are too big. I have never thrown up but I go get the slimes and hic cup and burp. I find walking until I do burp helps me. I eat almost everything I want just much smaller portions. I can not chew lobster anymore and being from NE, that is a staple here. For meats I can only chew filet mignon now. Pork I sometimes find hard to chew but very well cooked ribs I can chew. I guess it's a chew and find out what works for everyone.

As far as the MIL, each to his own thoughts. I have a know it all cousin, RN at that, who says her by pass surgery failed. She eats everything, large portions and drinks wine everyday and cocktails when dining out. I saw pictures of her recently (we don't talk anymore) and she is huge. When her mother was alive she had had by pass also and regained all her weight, which was over a 200 lb loss. You just have to 'try' to be smart. I am far from a perfect eater. I eat chocolate, pizza and tonight I am having Chinese food but I just eat much smaller portions and for the most part gave up all fried foods. I loved fried foods.

Have a great year and just remember we are all different, our doctors and dietitians have their own rules to follow. Those people are the only people you should listen too 100% of the time and you will do great.

​One thing I didn't do in the beginning was take pictures and measurements

Arlene.

As you progress through the post-op diet phases, you will find what works for you.....and what doesn't. Once you're no longer restricted (diet wise), you will quickly find out what you tolerate, and what goes down without issue. Just make sure that whatever you eat, is taken in small bites, and chewed to a pulp.

I am nine months out, and can eat pretty much anything. Some fruits & veggies go down fine, but they cause gastric discomfort. I feel best on solid animal based Proteins, with a little bit of veggies. I snack on Protein bars and (sometimes) popcorn, but a lot of people no longer do well with popcorn. Our bodies are all so different, but I'm confident that you will settle in and find what is best for you. Good luck!

Any of the WLS can cause you problems if you don't follow the instructions. As for what you can eat, everyone is different. I can eat most anything if I eat slowly and chew well. If I hurry, even slider foods can cause me problems. It takes some time to get the proper adjustment, but it'll get there. Try to avoid negative people and do your research. They'll just make the trip harder for you. Just because her surgery failed, or she failed her surgery, doesn't mean its got to be your story too. Go ahead and get use to drinking plenty of Water and try giving up your sodas. Also, get use to not drinking through a straw. Some can, but most surgeons advise against it. My surgeon said it would cause excess gas and I forgot once in the early stages and believe me, I won't do that again.

All of us have certain foods we can and can not eat. You wont really know until you are properly adjusted which ones you can tolerate. I might eat chicken salad today which went down fine but tomorrow depending on the weather I may not be able to eat it at all. The only thing I can say is just do you. Don't listen to what others who have had WLS and failed tell you. As with any WLS if you don't stick to it you will gain all and more of your weight back. None of this is a fix for us. It takes work and is for a lifetime not until you lose weight and then you figure that's it I am done because let me tell ya maintenance is harder then losing the weight. Keeping it off is a constant battle as read people that fall off after they have done so well. Just do you and it will work. Much success to you and all of us for the next year.